• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  it's just my soul responding, savior
    He does not understand the concept of curses. Perhaps this makes him a fool.
    He knows that there is darkness in the world. Cruel things, vile things. But they have always existed outside of his reality. No terrible thing has ever befallen him, the blessed thing that he is. But he understands well enough not to say this out loud. He is not so foolish as to not understand that she has almost certainly been the victim of these dark things. So he does not speak at all, just holds her a little closer.

He exhales a soft breath and turns his focus to their children, as if to offer her a moment of privacy. As if this is a deeply personal thing she has just shared with him. And if there is any awkwardness that flares then it is only because he cannot relate to whatever thing she has been through that has changed her ability from a gift to a curse but he is sympathetic. He aches to know that such a thing happened to her, that she had been forced to live through it, but he does not know how to put his ache into words.

I’m sorry,” he says because it feels like the only safe thing. And he is sorry. Sorry that the dragon has not been as kind to her as it has been to him. Were he someone less acutely aware of the gravity of her words, he might have asked what happened to change her mind but he does not. Cannot.

But she kisses him sweetly all the same and the smile returns. He can’t help it, though there is nothing in him that thinks to stop it. Why should he? It does not occur to him that he should hide how happy she makes him. He shifts his focus back to her face when she speaks next, his heart thumping something heavy against his ribs.

The kindness in her sentiment chases a tremor down the length of his face and he is stricken momentarily speechless. “How can that be when you exist?” he asks and reaches out to nudge her gently, smiling softly.

And if the children are dragons they will be good, too.” He’s so certain of it.

SAVIOR
    you remind me who i was and who i want to be
    you remind me that though not whole, i'm not empty

@[Casimira]

Messages In This Thread
    RE: it's just my soul responding, savior - by savior - 02-08-2021, 09:16 PM