• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

I bid my soul through the flames before me; mesec

Right up until it happens, Mesec isn’t expecting it. He’s had some bizarre encounters before but he has never been attacked - at least, not without cause. He tries to scramble backwards, silver eyes widening in confusion and fear, but it is too late to have any sense of caution now.

He doesn’t scream - or, at least, he tries not to. He doesn’t want to draw anyone else to them, doesn’t want to bring this pain to anyone else that calls Loess home. There is some part of his brain that tells him this is not personal, that she had only attacked when she found out he lived here. Nevermind that it had not been for very long.

When he collides with the ground - a soft cry that he immediately clamps down on all that escapes him - it feels personal enough.

The wing he lands on breaks, sharp pieces of bone protruding from the feathers and splintering his side as he lays on it. Half of his face nearly comes clean off when she bites at it, one eye going dark and blood seeping up and into the other one so that for a time he cannot see anything - the world is red and pain and he can tell where she is by what pieces of him she carves.

He stops cataloguing the damage, he cannot focus on it anymore.

All he can think about is whether this is what it was like for the young boy he had hunted. His friend, his son, who came face to face with the monster Mesec tried to keep hidden from the world. A monstrous creature, not quite bear but not quite wolf either - a warg with a wicked set of teeth and a hunger that could not be satisfied. He hadn’t been aware of his actions at the time but when that magic left him the memories were unlocked. He remembers the fear in the colt’s eyes as they fought and ran through the dark woods, remembers how he still would not stop trying to carve up that innocent boy even when Mesec's jaw had been so severely dislocated so it swung with his frantic movements. He remembers the bloodlust that flooded him and every memory of his claws and teeth tearing into flesh is paired with the feeling of what is happening to him now.

And he knows that even though this isn’t personal, that does not mean he doesn’t deserve it.

Consciousness is a slippery thing and Mesec fades in and out - coming to when she stops and speaks to him even though the pain has almost completely taken over. Her words register but not as she might have intended. A wash of sadness creeps through his mind like a tide. For his past sins and for the sins of his new home, then, and somehow it feels right. “I’m s--sor--ry.” He croaks out the words, his one working eye looking up to find her but even then the tigress is a hazy figure. He blacks out for a moment and misses the arrival of someone else, a young boy, and when he comes to he thinks it is his son. Thinks the boy he had tried to tear apart has come back to haunt him in these final moments.

The words this phantom speak don’t register with him - perhaps a small blessing. And he knows better than to ask for help from someone who he had hurt.

Mesec remembers what he was trying to say and inhales a ragged breath. “Whatever… we did. Whatever Loess did to you.” Another shaky breath, his remaining silver eye filled with more than just pain. There is a depth to it that make no sense, really. But he means the words all the same. As much as he is hurting, as much as he is alone and afraid, he cannot find it in himself to hold this act of revenge against her. It must have been terrible, what had happened, to deserve such a message. And if Breach will look, she will see sympathy in the eye of the stallion she has torn apart.

“I am so sorry.”

Mesec
    Image Credits

@[breach]

Messages In This Thread
    RE: I bid my soul through the flames before me; mesec - by Mesec - 12-03-2020, 04:04 PM