• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[open]  this ain't no place for no hero; any family/Aquaria

this ain't no place for no hero

He is so happy his sister has decided to join him as he twists and turns and tumbles through the jungle.

They have easy lives, growing up here on the island.  Their bellies are always full and there is always so much to do and explore without even leaving home.  Of course, Volos wants to go and see what lies beyond the white-capped waves and sun-soaked sand of Ischia, and sooner rather than later.  He imagines all that the world has to offer - all the faces he can’t wait to meet and the places he wants to see with his own molten gaze.  He only has to grow up for a little bit longer, his mother tells him when she tucks him close to her side every night.  But that won’t stop the colt from finding his own adventure where and when he can.  The fact that Nekane is as eager as him is a bonus.

Today’s adventure is just another to add to the twins’ growing list.

They spill out onto the beach as raucous and rambunctious as ever.  Volos sobers when he sees the storm out at sea, though.  He’s had such an easy life that he’s never considered the possibility of hardship or strife.  This literal dark cloud steals his breath with its significance.  What if his parents are hurt or his friends?  His sister?  She’s beside him, now, likely full of similar thoughts.  He rubs his forehead under her jaw, trying to soothe the both of them.  He’ll never lie to her, never lead her intentionally astray.  But he’ll also always be there if she wants him to.  “It might.  But we’ll take on anything with our claws and teeth.”  Volos bares his sharpened canines at the ocean as if daring it to come closer.

He’s about to rush the high tide to prove his words by action (his rear end even wiggles in preparation to pounce), when he hears the voice behind them.  The cub startles out of his stance and turns to face the stranger instead.  “Hurr-i-cane?”  Each syllable is tested out as it leaves his mouth and is committed to memory.  So, too, does he commit the woman’s face to memory, from the tips of her antlers to the vines curling around her ankles.  She’s young and still soft around the edges of her face, but quite older than the twins - just young enough to invoke some awe and admiration in the eager cub. 

“Hello Asena.  I’m Volos, and this is my sister.”  He tilts his head to include Nekane beside him, assuming she wants to introduce herself. Asena tells them more about these hurricanes – wretched, nasty things they are – and it makes Volos more excited than he ought to be.  “Really?!”  He imagines himself flying through the air, lifted up and surrounded by ocean water as it churned and chugged its way to Pangea.  “Pshh, I can swim and I’m not afraid of monsters.”  His gold eyes glance over at the other tiger cub, searching her face for any signs of fear.  He doubts he will find any there either.  “Our mother told us that hiding is for cowards.”  He waits to see what their elder will say to that.

v o l o s

Photo by Austin Neill at Unsplash

@[Nekane]@[Asena]

Messages In This Thread
    RE: this ain't no place for no hero; any family/Aquaria - by Volos - 01-01-2021, 08:46 PM