• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  I dreamed myself a bird who could cross the waves

The light that meets the dark

To have the stalwart bravery of a lion and not that of a little black lamb; Cheri would certainly be happier, she thinks. Less afraid of this dark and the uncertainty it brought along with it, scaring her. But she was a sheltered thing, growing up with the love and security of a sire who watched over their small family herd and ingrained himself lovingly into his children’s lives, and until now Cheri hadn’t a reason or worry in her small head to be scared about. Now, standing on the precipice of either being accepted or left alone to fend for herself, she’s unsure if her upbringing was beneficial at all. The love and security offered to her since birth was a poor reflection of the reality outside Taiga, and since the Eclipse Cheri had learned that truth the hard way.

Perhaps, then, she’s just the lucky sort. A rare entity whose woolgathering had produced kindness in her limited interactions with horses that weren’t directly related to her. Maybe someday all of the bad luck she’d avoided would come crashing over her full-force, but today (tonight?) is not that day.

“Thank you.” Cheri sighed properly, trotting down the bank to join the colt at his side. From this close she could see the way his skin had an odd sheen to it, not flat and svelte like her own. It… shimmered. She looked away and out across the water, ears perked and eyes scanning the trembling surface of the River for the faint wisps of light he’d mentioned before. “Yes,” She smiled, the emotion clear in her voice, “I see it. Just there.” Cheri bobbed her head.

For some reason, the glint of light playing dully over the surface of black water gave her hope for its eventual return.

The colt introduced himself, pulling her attention away and back towards him, and Cheri is poised to answer the question he’s forming when something interrupts Anubias and makes him startle forward. His companion, the little glowing filly, skirts to the side and stands rigidly at attention for a minute, snorting and tossing her head in preparation for flight. One of her hooves is lifted; the other three are spread apart from one another. But Anubias doesn’t fleer in terror - instead, he pauses and waits, giving Cheri the opportunity to watch as something scurried up and onto his back.

“No way. Nuh uh. Not mine.” The filly shakes her head, feeling a tingle of dread shivering down her spine. She was happy that whatever the creature was, it hadn’t decided to scurry up her butt. She definitely would’ve screamed. “What is it?” She whispered, lowering the leg poised for flight and shuffling closer to Anubias curiously, forgetting all about name exchanges in the moment.

@[Anubias]

Messages In This Thread
    RE: I dreamed myself a bird who could cross the waves - by Cheri - 01-15-2021, 12:52 PM