• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  we danced on the edge of a silver sky

Mesec holds his silver-lined wing over Alaska as she nestles against him, his silver eyes closing for a moment to enjoy the bliss of this moment. Of being alive next to her, feeling her skin pressed against his, as his silver feathers drape across her body.

Her request has him looking down at her and he smiles because otherwise he knows he'd grow still, otherwise the uncertainty would rise in him. “Okay.” He replies in a quiet voice first, then he swallows against the nerves that suddenly rise up in him. Although Mesec had grown to look back on much of his life with fondness, although he has made peace and healed from much of it, it's easy to fall into the trap of his old insecurities. But, there's only one way to find out what Alaska will think of the years that led him to this spot.

So he squeezes his wing draped over her slightly as he begins, taking comfort from her presence and her interest.

“Some of it is going to sound… well maybe a little crazy, but it’s all true. I was born in a land called Helovia and there are two main differences between it and Beqanna. There, having a horn or wings or neither defined which race you belonged to. Hybrids, like me, weren’t very common. And… the magic of Helovia was governed by three gods and a goddess, all presiding over different elements. My… my mom was the Moon Goddess.” Even now saying this out loud brings a little flush of embarrassment. Any magic that Mesec had that made him a demigod has long since faded but it is still an odd thing to say. Mesec explains to Alaska how each of the gods had a single child to be emissaries with the mortal population, how his father was part of a unicorn herd that hated the other races.

How he had been dumped by his mother into this northern herd, where his father already had a large family with another mare. And how there he had been treated with a combination of indifference and outright hostility - culminating when one of his half-sisters decided to try to tear his wings off in order to make him look right. How young he had been when he had ran rather than stay with them a moment longer.

Mesec wishes his story for Alaska was filled with more kindness and not just pockets of it. Wishes each rise was not accompanied by a fall. But he tells her everything - the good and the bad. His voice is mostly steady but now and then it falters with memories still painful.

He tells her of Ophelia, the mare who had adopted him and shown him what families could be like. The murders his birth mother committed by possessing a follower of her rival, the Sun God - how one the murders had been the sister who had attacked him, how he had still mourned her after everything. And then how Mesec had turned his back on the Moon and lived in the desert with the sun worshippers for a time. The eventual reconciliation with some of his siblings and his father.

He tells her of stoic Lucius and rambunctious Lyra - his companions. How when things had finally seemed stable for him he discovered that he could shift into a warg, a giant wolf-like creature that only knew hunger, but could not control these shifts and how Mesec only knew what destruction he caused whenever he woke up and his companions told him. These episodes were triggered by heightened emotions and Mesec explains how he tried to distance himself from everyone in order to protect them - including his first children, who he dared not spend more than a couple minutes with out of fear of what lived inside him.

He tells her how that didn’t work - the distance - and his voice grows quiet as he explains how as the warg he had tried to kill a friend, a boy not even 2 years old, and was finally driven back to the moon, to his mother, to seek help in controlling the beast. 

And then when things had once again seemed to plateau for him, how radioactive beasts arrived to destroy the world he knew. He watched as his mother and the other gods sacrificed themselves to create a portal to another, hopefully safer, land for the rest of them. Watched as many of his friends and family members fell before they could make it through and then he found the new world they arrived in was beyond hostile after all.

“I gathered what was left of my family and we wandered until we found somewhere peaceful. And there I raised my children and knew peace. But once they were grown and gone in search of lives of their own I… I decided I wasn’t done living yet.” Mesec inhales deeply, reaching the end of his story - a small smile returning to his silver eyes as he glances down at Alaska finally - wondering what she’ll make of the whole thing. “So I left too and then I found Beqanna. And I found you.”

Mesec

@[alaska] god that's so long and I even shortened his history a bit lmao I'm so sorry

Messages In This Thread
    we danced on the edge of a silver sky - by Mesec - 01-09-2021, 05:04 PM
    RE: we danced on the edge of a silver sky - by Mesec - 03-04-2021, 08:18 PM