• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  instead of nowhere to land | eyas
    Gale
    this is going to break me clean in two --
    this is going to bring me close to you

Her expression roils with emotion like a dark cloud, and the vision she shares with him feels like cold lightning. Gale has always avoided looking for the god, knowing that some things are not for mortal eyes, and he does not regret that choice as Eyas shows him her almost dream.

It's not quite a real dream, but Gale does not focus on the visual details that might show him why that is so. Instead, his attention is on the shadow-not-shadow, and what it says to Eyas. Lipreading is an imperfect art, but Gale sees each word perfectly (perhaps being ever-intelligible is some godlike ability?). She has told him of the solution that Carnage gave them already, but the realization sinks over him like some great dark suffocation. Something else sinks into him too, when he meets the void-like eyes of the dark god in the almost dream. Something small and sharp, with barbs that sink themselves inside his heart in a way that suggests they will never let go.

Gale has often lamented the slow nature of his familial healing, wanting it faster, quicker, less selective. Never before has he wanted it gone entirely. If it were, he wonders, could his death end the Curse? Would the fairies take it from him, if he asked? Were the fairies even here anymore, in the darkness of the eclipse?

Questions swirl through his mind until it aches, and he hardly hears Eyas speaking, and not until his sister falls beside him does Gale pull himself from the black spiral of his thoughts. For a long while he is quiet as he slowly strokes the slope of his sister’s shoulder with his neck wrapped around hers in a hug. There aren’t words to say that will change anything, and the world around him seems to grow even dimmer.

“I probably have some time, right?” He says, and the words are rough at first, but grow smoother as he speaks. “A few years to put my affairs in order, check things off my bucket list before I have to ask the Fae to take away my healing?” He tries to sound cheerful, even knowing Eyas will see through it. Even knowing he’s talking about his own death.

@[Eyas]

Messages In This Thread
    instead of nowhere to land | eyas - by Gale - 01-16-2021, 10:06 PM
    RE: instead of nowhere to land | eyas - by Eyas - 02-02-2021, 08:12 PM
    RE: instead of nowhere to land | eyas - by Gale - 02-06-2021, 08:50 PM
    RE: instead of nowhere to land | eyas - by Eyas - 02-08-2021, 11:04 AM
    RE: instead of nowhere to land | eyas - by Gale - 02-11-2021, 07:41 AM
    RE: instead of nowhere to land | eyas - by Eyas - 02-11-2021, 05:03 PM
    RE: instead of nowhere to land | eyas - by Gale - 02-12-2021, 09:18 PM
    RE: instead of nowhere to land | eyas - by Eyas - 02-19-2021, 12:23 PM
    RE: instead of nowhere to land | eyas - by Gale - 03-07-2021, 11:26 AM
    RE: instead of nowhere to land | eyas - by Eyas - 03-11-2021, 03:19 PM