• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  moon's rising and my blood is growing cold

In the warm glow of the fire, Mazikeen watches Casimira - curious when the silence stretches on a little too long and she becomes worried she had said something rude. Having practically shifted every single day of her life since she found out she could (before her quest, anyway) it did not occur to her that there could be shifters out there that didn’t enjoy the power that they had.

She probably would have asked to see the dragon too, under other circumstances. She definitely would have when she was younger, before Hyaline and before the pack.

When the topic doesn’t linger on the topic of dragons, Mazikeen doesn’t fight it though her expression turns sad at the question asked and her eyes move out to the vast shadows beyond them when she replies. “Not the darkness, the fairies. I went up the Mountain looking to be better prepared to protect everyone and the task they gave me…” Was it ever going to get easier to just say it? Or would she know she’s completed her quest when she can talk freely about not being a shifter and not feel the way her heart squeezes in pain as it does now. “Involved taking my shifting so I can learn to appreciate my true form better.” The bitterness returns at the end there, she can't help it.

Aware of the rules around Hyaline regarding those without shifting, Mazikeen is quick to explain a little further - her gaze returning to the other mare, warily searching for any signs of disgust or pity. She doesn't know Casimira, and no one yet has reacted poorly, but she cannot shake the expectation that one day someone's reaction will mirror her fears. “Breach knows and is letting me stay while I work it out but it’s proving… difficult. I know that I’m not useless without my shifting but... it was such a big part of my identity.”

She speaks confidently about the idea that she’s not useless without it, but in reality she’s far less sure.

When she speaks again, the question that comes to her tongue is tentative - and though she hopes that Casimira will answer it, she tries to give the option for refusal. “Do you mind if I ask why you don’t shift often?”

@[Casimira]

Messages In This Thread
    RE: moon's rising and my blood is growing cold - by Mazikeen - 02-08-2021, 09:11 PM