• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  you must learn to join the dance
    Ah, Lilli - always careful, nevertheless a bit too trusting. I’m just one example of a bad choice for her, but I can’t help but feel thankful for it either way. It’s what I need to stay sane - or, even, to stay on the side of the light if you will. There are people I would do more good for than I would have on my own - Breckin was one, but she dropped me for another monster so there’s nothing I’d do for her right now (so I tell myself - I can’t guarantee anything when push comes to shove); Eurwen doesn’t need me to be “good” as much, per say. But Lilliana, well - I guess she sort of forces it out of me. To keep what is good in the North, here, and protect it.

It’s a good thing there are monsters now, so that I can lose my aggression on them. She doesn’t need to see all that.

”I know because Yanhua is here, and so is my brother. He owned the shadows long before they started to come alive.” I tilt my head. ”Outside, especially in the common lands, there are no protectors. No hunters to keep monsters away.” I flick my ear towards her. ”Recruiting might actually become rescuing, for some.”

I get drawn back to the time when the Plague ran around the lands of Beqanna, and shake my head to rid myself of it. I am better suited to fight this darkness than I once was against that bit of horror. The past is the same, yet different than the now. ”Without change we can’t grow, nor be suited to fight the things that come for us.” I tell her. I know I have changed - literally and figuratively so. She will have to, as well. ”We all change a little every day.” It’s not a thing that actively needs doing, I think. Gradually is just as well - and much easier than running up the Mountain. So if she chooses the gradual changes, that’s perfectly fine. I’m just different than she, and she knows it.

My somewhat gruff accusations meet a small smile, the type I know not to argue with. Thankfully we arrive at the relatively safe topic of our children, and she manages to coax a roguish grin out of me before I realise it’s there. ”You don’t know the half of it.” And perhaps it’s better that she doesn’t, though she will find out if she wants to, I think. She only has to ask the right questions to make me think of a certain memory. Already I picture the young Chryseis, meeting her with her mother at the riverbank. Or the way she kept asking about my new scales after being bitten and drowned by the kelpie girl. Fairies know I wish I’d never told her about the would-be mermaid, but I couldn’t lie to her on her first birthday.

Kelpies though - I ban it from my memory. I suspected Lumina of being one, but she never showed any predatory behaviour so I have to let it go. Let’s just say I don’t think ice and water predators mix well. I don’t want to think about it, so I think of the boys instead. ”I suspect one or a few of my sons to have inherited that.” I’m not so naive to think that the many gold-touched semi-dragons I’ve met in my life, especially those with a touch of ice, aren’t indirectly related. I’m ancient enough to be a... I-don’t-know-how-many-times-great-grandfather. I shrug it off. ”I’ve always had a large family.” Like that is any excuse for my past behaviour, I give her a faked-innocent grin.
    there’s an ocean in between your heart and me

@[lilliana]
    Two things I know I can make: pretty kids, and people mad.
    |

Messages In This Thread
    you must learn to join the dance - by lilliana - 01-28-2021, 11:13 PM
    RE: you must learn to join the dance - by Leilan - 02-11-2021, 11:12 AM
    RE: you must learn to join the dance - by Leilan - 02-25-2021, 08:58 AM
    RE: you must learn to join the dance - by Leilan - 03-02-2021, 06:02 AM
    RE: you must learn to join the dance - by Leilan - 03-20-2021, 05:08 PM
    RE: you must learn to join the dance - by Leilan - 04-06-2021, 11:43 AM