• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[open]  Cool with wasting my time [ANY]
    I lift my head drowsily from the thick leaf mulch I'd been nesting in. Something had woken me, but I'm not sure what. Mother isn't near, I don't think. Her voice carries. I glance at my friends, their empty eye sockets empty pits in bony white faces. "Did you hear something?" I ask them, and they don't reply. Guess not. 

I debate going back to sleep, when the sound comes again. A shuffling, stumbling cursing, while raindrops begin to patter on the skeletal trees. I hold my stealthy position a moment, before the need to know gets too strong. Then, I am twisting and slithering from my den, between closely the woven boughs and mounded earth that disguise my nest. I am so practiced at this now, it does not matter that it is dark. It still takes me no time to emerge into the open, and to look for the noise-maker. 

I have it in my head that maybe it's a wolf. Or a bear. Something large and furry, that I foolishly think I could subdue long enough to steal its coat. A warm new lining for my den that is always just a bit too cold. A disappointed groan leaves me when I make out the faint shape of a horse instead. 

He's not one I've seen here before, and the woods aren't populated enough for him to have been missed accidentally. That means he's new. I stare silently as he plods through the leaf litter, eyeing the wings that lay heavily by his sides. My mother has wings, and she hates that I don't. I don't think I mind, though. It's too exposed in their air, no place to hide. 

The soft blue strands of my tail flick, catching on the bony fingers of a brittle bush. It rattles at the unexpected weight, the sudden noise making me jump. "It's only me," I scold the barren plant. It quivers, until I yank the last lock of hair from its grasp, making it shake and then still. "That's better, isn't it?" I ask absently, forgetting that I had been following someone. 

It's a good thing my mother has never asked me to be anything. I would not do well as an kind of sentry or spy, I don't think. 

@[Narcisus]

Messages In This Thread
    Cool with wasting my time [ANY] - by Narcisus - 02-08-2021, 02:50 PM
    RE: Cool with wasting my time [ANY] - by Calavera - 02-08-2021, 04:44 PM
    RE: Cool with wasting my time [ANY] - by Narcisus - 02-09-2021, 11:24 AM
    RE: Cool with wasting my time [ANY] - by Calavera - 02-10-2021, 07:47 PM
    RE: Cool with wasting my time [ANY] - by Narcisus - 02-19-2021, 01:07 PM
    RE: Cool with wasting my time [ANY] - by Calavera - 02-28-2021, 07:28 PM
    RE: Cool with wasting my time [ANY] - by Narcisus - 03-10-2021, 02:11 PM
    RE: Cool with wasting my time [ANY] - by Sabra - 04-15-2021, 03:41 PM
    RE: Cool with wasting my time [ANY] - by Narcisus - 04-19-2021, 02:45 PM
    RE: Cool with wasting my time [ANY] - by Sabra - 05-03-2021, 04:13 PM