• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

By the shade of a willow tree [Borderline]

despite the overwhelming odds, tomorrow came

Lucky, he says, reiterating my words back to me. And I smile. It is a kind smile, filled with warmth and genuine appreciation, though it has nothing to do with mushrooms. It is a smile that says I feel lucky just to be standing here with him. I press into him as he holds me close, glad for the warmth he provides (especially in these cold times). A lock of his glowing mane falls in my face, and I gently play with it between my lips, wondering if his glow is anything like the glow that would come from a mushroom. That is neither here nor there, however, because I could not just tap into the forces that create that glow as I could with the mushrooms.

@[Yanhua] mentions starting in Tephra, mentioning a glowing phenomenon in the waters surrounding a small island. My only response is nod in agreement, while also thoroughly absorbed in the notion of glowing waters. I try to imagine it, the waves licking at the beach, throwing off a slight bioluminescent glow as they throw themselves in little arcs at the sand. Somehow, I doubt that my imagination could do justice to the amazing wonder that it is, and I find myself excited at the prospect of actually seeing it. And who knows, it might provide some answers into the mystery of the glowing mushrooms that we seek.

As he tips his head to rest his cheek on my brow, I can sense that he is about to say something more personal, not related to the quest. I tip a curious ear in his direction. When he falls silent once more, I allow the silence to engulf us completely, holding his words like a shimmer in the air around us. Then I take a small step back, away from him, so that my blue eyes could look into his (not that I could actually see the color of his eyes in this darkness).

“Oh, Yanhua,” I breathe, brushing my nose against his, feeling the tickle of his whiskers and his beard against my velvety nostrils, “I found happiness here before that in the family that I have built here. Lilliana and Amarine showed me that I didn’t need you to be happy amongst the redwoods.” I pause for a moment, shifting my weight slightly while contemplating my thoughts. “But I, too, am glad that we are doing this together. I am so proud and happy with the life and family we have created here, but I miss having you all to myself.” And I figure that I had better take advantage of that now, because soon, our family would be growing yet again.

Borderline

Image by Calcifer

Messages In This Thread
    RE: By the shade of a willow tree [Borderline] - by Borderline - 03-14-2021, 03:22 PM