• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

Bittersweet and strange;
    So tell me why my Gods look like you?
    It’s the stillness of the forest behind her that forces Nereza to freeze mid-step.  Her ears lay back against her head, almost disappearing into the blackness of her mane; suddenly, the voices of lesser creatures become silent enough that the ebb and flow of the water nearby and the ever-present hum and buzz of insects feels disorienting.

The spotted mare places her hoof down gently, noticing the approaching figure from the corner of her eye—though the sunlight, at first, makes it hard to see them clearly.  Nereza draws her muzzle up close to her chest, angling the horn at the tip of her snout in such a way that it almost looks like she knows how to use it.

He looks terribly injured; she can smell the blood on him despite the distance and something in her chest tightens.  It occurs to her that she should run, and though her legs are trembling ever so slightly, her feet stay firmly planted to the spot.  She isn’t sure what to make of him, especially not when his skin splits open, and blood begins to dribble from the new wound.  He keeps getting closer, though, so close that her heart has started hammering wildly in her chest and her black pupils widen ever so slightly.

“Huh?” Nereza blinks, shaking her head to clear it.  Her body is tingling, she doesn’t feel… right, and whatever he has said doesn’t quite seem like real words until she pieces the sentences together again.  He’d heard her.

“Ha, really now?” She cocks her head, visibly relaxing—she hadn’t noticed how tightly she’d been clenching her wings to her body until it had begun to hurt.  “What are they, then?  These terrible things I’ve heard so much about?” There’s an edge to her voice, a challenge—though she means only to tease him.  “Maybe if I knew what to watch out for, I would know what to avoid.”

Nereza’s golden eyes wander to the visible fragments of bone, tracing the cracks they’ve made in his skin.  She wonders how he got this way, if he was cursed—what she doesn’t notice are the pebbles rising from the ground around her.  They float through the air absentmindedly; twirling lazily and looping around in sleepy circles, some of them appear to ripple and change colors.  Nereza barely opens her mouth, intending to ask him if it hurts, when another voice chimes in and startles her.  Suddenly, the pebbles fly forwards, tinkling harmlessly off the chunks of bone armor she had been focused on.

“I— “the words catch in her throat, she isn’t certain what to say, her eyes flicking between the two stallions rapidly.  Was she sweating?  She certainly hopes not, now was not the time to sweat.

‘Relax.  Breathe.’

“I…I’m so sorry, I don’t know how that happened.”

‘Don’t freak out, don’t freak out— ‘

Obscene.
    Horrible thing, he admits.

The spotted mare watches him carefully, raking over his gold-smeared body the same way she had his opposition; he is impossibly pretty, that is undeniable.  When he tells her she would fit among the wildflowers, she almost shrinks away.  This being?  Thinks she has a place among flowers.  He must be joking, surely, he is.

Somehow, she finds enough sense to straighten herself up to her full height and clears her throat.  “I’m more of a weed, if anything, but thank you.  My name is Nereza—it’s nice to meet you,” she bows her head slightly, then looks to the red stallion.  “And you, what’s your name?”

@Reave @Obscene
    For the sake of clarity, she's still two in this thread. Sorry I took so long. <3

Messages In This Thread
    Bittersweet and strange; - by Nereza - 06-10-2021, 11:57 AM
    RE: Bittersweet and strange; - by Reave - 06-10-2021, 01:41 PM
    RE: Bittersweet and strange; - by Obscene - 06-12-2021, 02:30 PM
    RE: Bittersweet and strange; - by Nereza - 08-31-2021, 07:47 PM
    RE: Bittersweet and strange; - by Reave - 09-01-2021, 11:19 AM
    RE: Bittersweet and strange; - by Obscene - 09-03-2021, 03:32 PM
    RE: Bittersweet and strange; - by Nereza - 09-08-2021, 02:59 PM
    RE: Bittersweet and strange; - by Reave - 09-09-2021, 11:00 AM
    RE: Bittersweet and strange; - by Obscene - 09-10-2021, 05:20 PM