• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  I'm feeling this deep, aching sense of dread

can’t stop staring at those ocean eyes. 

Mazikeen’s silence speaks volumes, and Sabal knows her assumptions had been correct. That she’s not only an exile but her son is a de-facto prisoner. But despite everything she still trusts Mazikeen to keep him safe. She doesn’t know if she’s a fool for thinking so, but she knows in her heart that Maze would do everything in her power to protect her son just as Sabal intended to do everything in hers to protect Mazikeen’s twins. She just wished there was more that she could offer…more that she could do for Mazikeen’s twins than be someone to stand over them with really sharp teeth.

Mazikeen’s anger isn’t unexpected, given what Sabal’s thrown at her. The kelpie says nothing at first, biting her own tongue to contain her own rage that swirls within her.  Because now the sadness has begun to fight the tidal wave of anger that has threatened to pull her under. “Someone has to say it to your face, Maze,” she says, as calmly as she can manage. “I found you that night.  Every night I remember the smell of blood in the water – I remember the heat of your blood running down my scales. Every night I hardly sleep wondering if this time when I wake up I’ll find your body beyond the point of healing – wondering if he will have finally succeeded where last time he failed.”  She shakes her head, trying to clear away the thoughts that haunt her.  “Damnit Maze, I might not be the father of your children but you are my family. I love you! It kills me leaving you here alone.  Because I know that just because I’m gone doesn’t mean for a second that he’s going to stop manipulating you, or he’s going to stop torturing you to get what he wants.” It is only now that the tears finally begin to well in her eyes, that the undertow of sadness begins to pull her beneath the surface of the rage.

“I intend to keep my word though, Mazikeen. If you refuse to let me back as long as he’s here, I’m still planning on doing everything I can to keep both you, your children, and Hyaline safe even if I can’t physically be here.  So you’ll know where to find me.”  Maze is smart enough to read between the lines. Because if Gale had known to go to Tephra then there’s a good chance that her children were still in danger – that Wishbone was still in danger.  Until she was welcomed back here, that’s where she’d be. She’s afraid to speak the words aloud - afraid that he’s listening. “I know you think you’re doing this to keep me safe – as fucked up as it is – but know your friends will never, ever give up on you.” The tears finally spill over, leaving trails down her scaled cheeks.

“I will fight every goddamn day until he’s gone and I’m home and everyone is safe again.” There’s a fierceness in a her voice. A promise. She’s not running with her tail tucked between her legs, that’s for damn sure.

“You don’t have to fight these battles alone, Mazikeen. Remember that, please. That’s what he wants.”  Wasn’t that why the shifters had come to Hyaline in the first place? They had formed a pack here, because any one shifter alone was vulnerable. But together? Together the pack was strong.  Sabal was sure that together, the pack could defeat the Curse.  Sabal didn’t want to place blame on her friend after all she’d been through – physically and emotionally – but she couldn’t help the deep sense of betrayal that had ripped open anyway like an angry, invisible wound. Why couldn’t she understand what was happening? That if she continued trying to do this alone, she’d never be free of this Curse. That he’d never stop hurting her and everyone that cared for her.

She finally steps closer to her friend, pressing her face against Maze’s shoulder. “Don’t you dare give up, Maze.” A demand she makes of her friend that she has no right to ask, but it escapes her in broken whisper anyway.

”Take care of him for me,” she murmurs against her friend’s burning skin before pulling away abruptly and turning toward the border.

s a b a l .
    manip by squirt

@[Mazikeen]

Messages In This Thread
    RE: I'm feeling this deep, aching sense of dread - by Sabal - 06-19-2021, 12:16 PM