• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  leave me where the light pours down
    it's a mystery to me
    we have a greed with which we have agreed. you think you have to want more than you need; until you have it all you won't be free. and when you think more than you want, your thoughts begin to bleed.
    Relief floods her when Sickle admits she isn’t hurt, and Wishbone presses a kiss to the top of the girl’s head. “I’m glad you’re safe,” she says quietly into the girl’s soft mane. At least there is this one small thing that might bring her peace tonight. Although she thinks she’s failed the twins by letting Gale into Tephra so easily, there is some comfort in knowing that Sickle is uninjured in the process.

And there is more relief when her daughter mentions Gale and Mazikeen fighting. Although Sabal hadn’t brought the best news, Wishbone feels a tendril of happiness knowing that her friend is still alive and well enough to fight Gale. The purple mare thinks the drive to protect her children hasn’t left Mazikeen (though she doesn’t know of what happened past their fighting, of the bloodshed and manipulation that occurred after), and Wishbone wonders if there will be a day when her friend might have the family she’s wanted.

At Sickle’s question, Wishbone’s heart tightens and her stomach drops simultaneously. The ways of the Curse seem to shift with each generation, and the question in her daughter’s mind has been in hers as well. It has been passed from father to son, but there’s been no way to predict who receives the Curse next. Wishbone recalls the numerous sons Wolfbane had with Lepis, and she’s pretty sure Gale is not their firstborn. So the Curse could land on Malik, or it could change and fall upon Sickle. Or if, heaven forbid, Gale and Mazikeen had more children, the Curse could attach itself to them.

She decides that there’s no good way to answer her daughter’s question. She knows Sickle needs reassurance and comfort at this moment, but Wishbone would have to lie to give her those things. She’s keeping a secret from them already, and she’s unwilling to tell any others needlessly. Besides, Sickle has just gotten a taste of the real world, which isn’t very friendly to soft-hearted individuals, and Wishbone knows she won’t be able to protect them from harsh realities forever. “I don’t know. The Curse doesn’t do everything the same way. But it’s best that you and Malik know, and we can all work together to make sure it doesn’t happen.”
    credit to eliza of adoxography.

@Sickle

Messages In This Thread
    leave me where the light pours down - by Sickle - 06-27-2021, 07:43 PM
    RE: leave me where the light pours down - by Wishbone - 07-01-2021, 01:16 PM