• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  burn me to the ground, phae pony
    hadrien
    This is the story his mother hands him:
    there is a sister somewhere out in the world and he should find her.

But the mother does not know how the sister has changed, how the darkness changed her, how the fire has consumed her.

So the boy looks for a sister that does not exist anymore. Because the sister no longer has antlers but a halo of fire. She is no longer the same seal brown as the mother, the same seal red as the father, she is touched by flames. He could look her in the face and not know her at all. And the mother cannot explain why she left her and the boy would not be able to tell the sister how he came into existence should she ask.

But he will never find her.
    So he wanders for no reason other than to wander. 
    Because this is where the mother led the daughter through the brambles and the darkness.

The truth is that the mother does not know if the daughter survived any more than the daughter knows if the mother survived.

And it is up to the boy to find out.
    (Is this the purpose of his life? To find the sister and bring her home?)

He pulled the light from a firefly once and held it in his mouth, swallowed it down and swore he could feel it glowing in his chest.
    But now it’s only darkness in the forest and he’s lost track of the mother but he knows he’ll find her again.

He skips over fallen logs and under low hanging branches.
    Deeper and deeper he goes and colder and colder it gets. Until he can see his breath and he thinks maybe he has gone too far.

Maybe this is where the sister ran off to.
    (He does not know of the darkness that fell over Beqanna some years ago. He does not know of the darkness that changed them. The only darkness he knows is the darkness that closes in around him. Crushing blackness.)

He stops. 
    Hello?

He must be alone.
    but if that chariot they’re driving don’t swing low enough for us
    Just paint two crosses on my eyelids and point me out of touch

@phaetra

Messages In This Thread
    burn me to the ground, phae pony - by hadrien - 08-21-2021, 08:39 PM
    RE: burn me to the ground, phae pony - by frey - 08-22-2021, 08:38 PM
    RE: burn me to the ground, phae pony - by hadrien - 08-30-2021, 01:56 PM
    RE: burn me to the ground, phae pony - by frey - 09-06-2021, 08:20 PM
    RE: burn me to the ground, phae pony - by hadrien - 09-08-2021, 02:43 PM