• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

Thread Rating:
    • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
    [open]  You know I'm the one who put you up there
    Even half-numb Cheri was curious enough to peer up at Obscene and watch him work. She told herself it was because she’d never watched another healer, and her desire to better understand how the craft manifested itself in others was why she took in the tired wrinkle around his eyes, or the reason behind why she frowned in time with his answer. "Dealing with it" wasn’t good enough for her, but she guessed he already knew that - hence the smirk.

“Owed favors are no good to dead horses.” She rolled her eyes, an attempt to cover up the embarrassment at hearing him repeat what she’d said earlier. That’s playing dirty, she thought. It hadn’t really been her - the ‘right now’ her - talking. She guessed her future and past personalities had a say in things now, too.

That was just like Obscene, to annoy an entire timeline of herself; it made her want to laugh. Instead, Cheri bit the confusing feelings back with a cool smile.

“I’ll raise the stakes and grant you two favors.” She toyed with the notion casually, her senses and strength returning. “On one condition.”

That he stay safe, she wanted to ask. It would’ve been so easy to do, but it would’ve been the most selfish thing to request. He’d finally proven to her that he wasn’t anything she’d expected him to be - Obscene cared about his station and his people, despite the varied reasons causing them to gather among the wildflowers. If she asked him to forget about them now because of how she felt? Well that would make her, The Princess, the most evil creature of all.

“Promise me that when things go sour you’ll send for help.” Cheri insisted, ignoring her heart. She made sure to grind the final few words and spit them at him, lest he doubt the sincerity of her feelings. “Send up an alarm, send a sentry, I don’t care. Just do something.” Her wings jostled angrily.

That was better than dealing with it, at least. There wasn’t any logical excuse why the Pampas had to deal with a force like Gale and Mazikeen on their own, when Loess and her benefactors at court would probably lend their powers to help protect the territory. Even if all else failed, Cheri would come. You couldn’t just claim to be a ‘Shield of Justice’ and not actually shield anything.

“Please.” She lifted her head, soaked through now that the downpour had spent itself out. The clouds still hung like black waves above them, threatening but inactive. “Don’t be a moron.” Her lips twitched.

@Obscene

Messages In This Thread
    RE: You know I'm the one who put you up there - by Cheri - 09-22-2021, 09:41 AM