• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  i've always had too much pride
    selaphiel
    these days i don’t pray when i close my eyes
    He tires of his reflection, Selaphiel.
    (How could someone who loathes themself so desperately bear to look themself in the face?)

But he says nothing, only diverts his gaze so that he will not have to go on looking at himself. Because the boy’s countenance is smoothed, unmarred by the things he has and has not done. (How could his nephew know all of the ways he has failed himself and everyone else? How could he replicate the far-away look in his eye when he does not know the cause of it?)

There is a beat of silence and then the boy speaks again.
    And such a tremendous weight settles in the cavern of his chest, crowding itself against his heart, which struggles to beat against it. He does not return his focus to the boy’s face (his own face) and instead goes on studying the horizon, as if he might find the answers there.

(Is there power in being an angel? He had seen power in his mother but he has never once felt it himself. No, it has always been more curse than blessing.)

But he smiles something distant, lopsided, and shakes his head just barely. He draws in a shuddering breath and tells his nephew candidly, “if there is any power in it, I have yet to find it.” 

(Could he be powerful, Selaphiel? If he tried, if he learned to want it for himself?
    No.
    No, certainly not.)

He and Mazikeen had been friends once and he had promised her something that he had not been able to deliver and she had made his failure abundantly clear.

I served a purpose once,” he says, “or, at least, I tried to.

The smile returns, edged in a kind of sorrow, “but I’m afraid my weaknesses have always been insurmountable.

I just bite my tongue a bit harder

@bolder

Messages In This Thread
    i've always had too much pride - by bolder - 09-08-2021, 03:04 PM
    RE: i've always had too much pride - by Selaphiel - 09-08-2021, 04:03 PM
    RE: i've always had too much pride - by bolder - 09-09-2021, 01:18 PM
    RE: i've always had too much pride - by Selaphiel - 09-09-2021, 08:05 PM
    RE: i've always had too much pride - by bolder - 09-24-2021, 03:14 PM
    RE: i've always had too much pride - by Selaphiel - 09-25-2021, 02:09 PM
    RE: i've always had too much pride - by bolder - 10-07-2021, 01:24 PM
    RE: i've always had too much pride - by Selaphiel - 10-16-2021, 12:27 PM
    RE: i've always had too much pride - by bolder - 10-26-2021, 07:34 PM