• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  When I talk to the night I can feel it stare

all of time and space, everywhere and anywhere, every star that ever was

The old Ciri would have been hurt to be seen as a threat. She had always wanted to be a protector, had wanted to be looked at as something good and respected. This new one though, she rather relishes it. Being considered a threat was a far cry to being seen as weak. Perhaps it was better to be feared by those that didn’t deserve her kindness. When it came to Mazikeen though, she was still on the fence on what exactly she deserved from her.

Something close to amusement flashes in her silvery eyes when the smilodon moves away as she tries to close the distance between them. When the beast speaks, Ciri let’s out another rush of bitter laughter. “You were the last person I expected to ask for help.” Comes her rather honest reply. She had expected the fiery horned mare she had seen wrapped in the brightness that had been placed inside of her. She had expected some sort of fight, some sort of release when her anger had found the one raging in the heavily scarred Mazikeen’s orange eyes as well as the answer to what lay in wait inside of her. What she had found was completely different and it confused her, made her just as wary as Hyaline’s Queen was of the Isle's Thane.

It is the statement on how many times Mazikeen had tried to kill Gale that makes her pause and look at her with a tilt of her dark head. It is the tears that find something in chest but it is not the Curse’s heart that responds to them. She inhales deeply, exhales slowly, and some of that anger smoldering across her own hard features softens. Just for a moment. She says nothing else as the cat like creature continues, admits her own weaknesses. And then agrees to help if she can.

The silence stretches between them for awhile, her red stars blinking with a mix of anger and confusion. And then finally, glancing at the lake where so many of her memories were tied to, she looks back to her and says quietly, “If I had known…” It feels foreign on her tongue, this apology a struggle just as it had been to Lilliana who hadn’t deserved her anger either. Not really. “I didn’t know what he was. I'm sorry Mazikeen.” She admits to her and she shifts her weight, uncomfortable with the tension that thrums through her. Would she have come to Hyaline sooner if she had known? Would she have tried to help Mazikeen, a stranger in all ways except for what she had meant to Gale when he had still been her friend? She thinks she would have… for that reason alone.

“All I have is everything you see. The only magic I had… He ruined it. I can’t stop him either.” The grimace is back, this admittance to her own failure. “But I still want to try.” She whispers and looks away from the white creature, not wanting her to see the pain that spins behind that roaring rage. When she turns her head back to Maze, she is under control once more and that simmering anger flickers in the molten silver of her eyes. “I’ll try.” Comes the promise she makes to Mazikeen. That she makes to herself and everyone else she hadn’t been able to protect or save.

With a small nod, she turns to go. Her wings are still flared and they rise to take flight but she pauses as her gaze lands on the destroyed remains of the wisteria tree, the one that had once meant so much to her and signified everything she had lost in her previous life. “Nashua misses his son.” She says over her shoulder, her expression unreadable with her face cloaked in shadow. “Make that right at least.” And then she takes to the sky, a flurry of starlit raven feathers and sanguine light.

-- Ciri

Image by Phil Botha

@Mazikeen

Messages In This Thread
    RE: When I talk to the night I can feel it stare - by Ciri - 10-08-2021, 01:58 PM