• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[open]  give me hope in the darkness;
    so give me hope in the darkness that I will see the light
    'cause oh that gave me such a fright
    There's something...different about the familiar voice. Something off, even, though Brennen can't pin down what it is. He's probably picking up on something to do with Leilan's heart, though he doesn't pry far enough to find out. He doesn't even change his attitude or responses, not really, though perhaps his gaze is a little sharper and his attention that sliver more focused. He says nothing when Leilan snarks back at him, that by-play comforting in its familiarity, and the boy's acquiescence is clear enough anyhow.

Magic coalesces in the air around him, and then the physical signs of the place from where Leilan is traveling. Here, spring has begun to dance its way across the meadows and plains, but the younger stallion is coming from a cold place. Brennen inhales the crisp scent of snow and ice, allowing himself a reminiscent little smile, before focusing once more on his...friend? It seems at this point he would probably consider Leilan a friend, though their ties and history are so much deeper than that. Leilan is one of the ones he will always remember as remarkably young, though standing before Brennen now he doesn't seem particularly youthful, despite the spunky attitude he has never quite shed. The flicker of his eyes reminds Brennen of Scorch, and for a moment he mourns.

But that is all he can allow himself - a moment - because allowing himself to dwell in the past is the start of the downward spiral back into magical hibernation. He can risk only the fond memories of former friends and lovers, unless he's willing to finally give up the chase and join them. He's not ready to do that yet, and thus, he remains.

"The ocean is teaming with life," he reponds placidly, "but the sharks and seamonsters aren't particularly good conversationalists, and the fish are quite dull." There had been a few with whom Brennen had shared dream-time during his Sleep, but it certainly hadn't been the sealife. With the exception of a few of his more aquatically-inclined children, Brennen really has very little fondness for water dwellers. The water itself he loves: the tides, the changes, the cool depths and constant ebb and flow, the magic it holds for him; but he holds no allegiance to its denizens. "Perhaps more interesting - what has been happening above sea level?"
    but I will hold, as long as you like
    just promise me we'll be alright
    BrenneN

@Leilan

Messages In This Thread
    give me hope in the darkness; - by Brennen - 11-11-2021, 02:49 PM
    RE: give me hope in the darkness; - by Leilan - 11-11-2021, 03:59 PM
    RE: give me hope in the darkness; - by Brennen - 11-12-2021, 03:22 PM
    RE: give me hope in the darkness; - by Leilan - 11-20-2021, 02:35 PM
    RE: give me hope in the darkness; - by Brennen - 11-29-2021, 03:16 PM
    RE: give me hope in the darkness; - by Leilan - 12-16-2021, 05:13 AM