• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

can't float in an ocean that's already been drained
    Gale
    started under neon lights, then it all got dark
    i only know how to go too far

The wind has begun to pick up in earnest, bringing with it the scent of ruch summer flowers and the crackle of electricity. The air prickles along Gale’s skin, and a few bolts of lightning dart across his dark legs and across his brindle neck. The sensation while standing in saltwater is uncomfortable, and he is doing his best to stop them when he realizes that someone is approaching.

She is white with bright scars. He loses control of the lightning before he realizes that this is not Mazikeen, and it flickers down from his mane to vanish into the water at his ankles. Gale abandons capturing it, choosing to bear the elemental discomfort in favor of focusing on the stranger who walks toward him across the water.

It is an impressive feat, Gale thinks, and the esteem is visible even behind the layers of lightning in his eyes when he looks up to meet Beyza’s gaze. Will she see the shadows that dart across them, or sense the magic paradoxical to her own that simmers unreleased at his core? He can see them, but he tries not to look, just for a while. He is so rarely uncontrolled by them, and still does not fully understand why he is free. This time though, he thinks he will make the most of it. He will not ask this mare to kill him like he had the last one.

A good place to watch the storm, she says, and Gale nods agreeably as he turns his attention back to the growing clouds.

“My parents were going to name me after a bird, like the rest of my siblings.” He offers this casually, as easily as if continuing a conversation they had already been having. “I’ve wondered if my affinity for storms is why they chose another name instead.” Perhaps they’d consulted with a farseer, he’d been thinking, perhaps they’d seen this future.

Had they seen the Curse too, he wonders? Or had it hidden from those probing eyes the way it hides within him now?

“I’m Gale, by the way.”

@ Beyza

Messages In This Thread
    RE: can't float in an ocean that's already been drained - by Gale - 02-13-2022, 06:18 AM