• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[open]  Even God herself has enemies; Any
    “You’ve never known pain like I have,” Thorn whispers at his son. Madness had long set in years ago, having spent too much of his life plagued by all the pain of creatures that surround him. He seeks it out, in fact—for without it, Thorn was terribly, achingly empty.

When he was hungry, he sought out his sons.

“You will never know pain like I have.”

Claudius says nothing in return. He merely blinks unflinchingly at his father, torn chest and all. This wasn’t the Thorn he always knew. There were brief memories, when he was very young, when his father was able to be soft. There are cherished, loving memories Claudius keeps warm and well-remembered. This version of his father will not win.

“Answer me, Claudius,” Thorn snaps through gritted teeth, sucking in a pain breath. Claudius watches the black sabino wince. A long-endured ache flares in the chestnut’s chest. He looks down. Even the strongest have their limits.

“I love you, Dad,” he answers strongly, before pivoting on his back legs and weaving a complicated, rushed path through the Tephran jungle.

Gasping for air, Claudius lurches upward from the sheltered boulder he was napping beneath. His eyes roll with panic and desperation, legs kicking up snow frantically while he tries to get his bearings. It’s not until several seconds later—hot air heaving in and out of his nostrils in long, steamy lines—that he remembers he had settled down for a midday nap. That this memory only came to him in a nightmare. That he hasn’t seen his father since then.

Wild hoof beats widen Claudius’ eyes once again. He whips his head around from its direction facing the boulder, periwinkle eyes reflecting the image of a liver chestnut woman galloping carelessly through the snow. He merely observes for a few seconds, feeling his already elevated heartbeat grow even faster just watching her mad dash.

The crazed heart rate in Claudius’ chest stirs the parts of him he constantly has to conquer. All the anger, hurt, and betrayal. The abandonment and fear. He launches forward, legs vibrating with a furious jolt of energy, giving chase to the galloping woman. The snowdrifts are hard to speed up in; but once Claudius falls into the path Vindictive already dug, he quickly begins to gain on her.

“What are you running away from?” he screams over the sound of their galloping.

@Vindictive

Messages In This Thread
    Even God herself has enemies; Any - by Vindictive - 03-07-2022, 02:00 PM
    RE: Even God herself has enemies; Any - by claudius - 03-08-2022, 01:39 PM