• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

Beneath his feet, beneath the moon // Bardot
    I KNOW I NEED US MORE THAN I NEED ME
    The water crinkles and splashes as I split its lips and enter. I shudder at its coolness, knowing without looking that the steam of my post-gallop sweat peels off of me in contrast to the icy waters that lap at my chest below; a voice in my head (the ghost of my mothers' or my sister's, I suppose) warns me of the danger of such a harsh change in temperature. Good, I answer the concerned voice, heaving great breaths of frigid air into my lungs. Let it hurt me.

I lift my head to gaze at the stars but close my eyes before I can count to three; dizziness threatens, and I teeter there in the moonlight. The imprints of the jewels above perform a drunken spin against the black backdrop of my eyelids and I smile. A private lightshow just for me, an intrusive voice says. I wish Iri could see this. 

I open my eyes.

Shut up.

Licking my lips and bidding my burning lungs still, I heave my body a step further and plunge my head beneath the waters, hoping to clear it of its aching and lonesome nonsense. I come up, spluttering and truly cold, now, the droplets sliding down my face freezing before they can drop. Fuck me. As an uncontrollable shivering sets up across my ink-and-ivory hide, I throw my weight onto my hindlegs and pivot in the water, the movement slow and laboured as my sizeable body fights against the current. Giving a slow-motion canter stride, and then another, I breach and trot up the rocky bank, head hung low as I attempt to stretch out the ice-stiff muscles of my topline. Well that was stupid, a voice says. I cannot discern whose.

Relegated to shiver the whole night through until the sun rises and frees me of this frigid prison of my own design, I heave a great sigh and settle in a path of clear moonlight. Atop my back, starlight shuffles and settles, its immaterial winged shape clutching my side but for the imagination of warmth. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

I close my eyes. I part my lips. Without knowing what might come from them, I begin to sing, a quiet and slow melody more for myself than anyone else; a lullaby to soothe my aching conscience.
    Indius

@Bardot
    [Image: indi]

Messages In This Thread
    Beneath his feet, beneath the moon // Bardot - by Indius - 03-08-2022, 01:59 AM