• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[open]  this is the light that shines; any

He feels the weight of her gaze like the hare might feel that of a wolf. And though he knows what it is like to be hunted, her stare is not quite so violent or fraught with the possibility of his own end. She is searching for answers, it is only to be expected. He is a stranger far past the borders of her home, far beyond what had been considered prim and proper in his time. He is bedraggled and beaten and bruised by the containment. It is a wonder she meets with him at all in the state he is in, though he is sure glad she does. Because despite his prone, weakened form, he, too, intends to eliminate all of his lingering questions.

She claims that she is immune to frailty and he merely presses his lips more tightly together. She might be, but it is almost unacceptable to Ramiel, in regards to his own body. He had been a protector, once, charged with so many souls, all of which he would have given his own up many times over to save. He had seen a foreign battlefield and defended his kingdom. He had saved a tired, pregnant mare and brought a child back from the Other Side. He had gone to the end of time and heard the monsters eating away reality and saw her –

This time it is his turn to blink slowly, pushing down the memories that have been his ghostly entourage all this time.

“Old lands?” The pale woman explains some of the changes and his ears prick forward. “Which old lands?” Impatient and not really considering, he adds, “Pangea could stand for another sinking.” It could only help the place, he wagers. Realization is slow to mix with his racing thoughts, but it finally does, and he looks back at Margot. He shrugs his shoulders half-heartedly. “Sorry. You probably love it, don’t you? This place and I do not leave our meetings on good terms.” It is perhaps the understatement of the year; he can’t wait to find out how this one will end.

“Unless you can raise the dead or help me bring down a god, I think I’ll have to figure it out myself.” His grin falters then. It would be impossible for Ea to have been similarly trapped and freed by the changing of the lands again. Maybe he will be able to visit her on those eternal beaches of the afterlife now that he is back. Otherwise, he knows he will have to walk alone in this lifetime.

He might have his second, but one’s heart only gets so many chances.

“Well met, Margot.” He smiles a little at that, knowing how he must look. “I’m Ramiel.”

Ramiel

Photo by Silviu Zidaru

Messages In This Thread
    this is the light that shines; any - by Ramiel - 03-22-2023, 03:00 PM
    RE: this is the light that shines; any - by Ramiel - 05-08-2023, 03:16 PM