• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

And so the fire dies

WATCH THE FLAMES CLIMB HIGH INTO THE NIGHT

There are parts of her that want to live; there are parts of everyone that want to live. She sees hope in the light of the morning and in the twinkle of the stars at night; she finds love in the eyes of Vi, Sarkis and Hestoni. Of strength, she finds plenty; the jungle patronus visits her occasionally, the animals hum around her rapidly aging body, and the sisters are ever present, and ever searching for her Volcan. And though she finds support in her husband and community, there are some variables which have suddenly become constants.

Having passed the crown from her noble head to Lagertha’s, the immortality also passed from fire to iron. Since then, the years spent paused in immortality have rushed to her (to her bones, her lung, her joints, her senses). With each sunrise comes a newfound plague of her aging body, which she largely ignores in her pigheadedness. Vi and Sarkis offer her small solace, distracting her with their rambunctious games or simply their silent presence when they see her wince in pain. Of Volcan, they speak not; for children, they are disturbingly aware of the glass Scorch stands on.

To Hestoni, however, she constantly goes. It is her red titan who she clings to, dawn and dusk, thick or thin, death or life. He, too, has begun to age with her; she sees it in the way his brown eyes melt more easily, hears it in his croaking voice, feels it in his gentle touch. His salt-and-blood muzzle is her favourite place to be; his crumbling fortress of a body is a comforting echo of her own. Together, they walk through the uncertainty. Together, they live until their last.

Shuddering words pass between the lovers occasionally; questions of where and when and will you come with me? Sometimes, Scorch cries. She’s always been a crier, though. Some might not believe it, but many have witnessed it; Hestoni especially. Remember when I was first crowned? She asks him in the calm of night. Remember when we met in the meadow? She asks him in broad daylight. Remember when we made Noori and Kaida and all the rest? She asks him when all was quiet. Remember the first time I said I love you and called you Hestoni? She asks him when all was loud. Remember when you sold yourself to Carnage for my happiness? She asks him through tearful eyes. Remember when you murdered to be with me again? She asks him through a cheeky grin. Remember when…

She remembers.

In the end, there are no decisions. Everything comes naturally; they’ve wandered achingly slowly to the birth place of nearly all their children. The bushes of the thicket brush against her hairless skin like a mother’s caress, though she has never truly known one. Hestoni stands beside her, all bones and fire and magnificence, a nostalgic image of that handsome man who first tormented her in the meadow. And she stands beside him, all skin and fire and powerful, an echo of the warrioress who won the heart of the Jungle.

She lays down first, the weight of herself paining her every joint. She’s not sure when he joins her, but they lay together in their thicket where many little hooves have stomped. Scorch talks of Rain and of Volcan, then of each child in turn. She presses into him, tears running from eye to earth. She whispers her pity for him, for in his old age he may not see perfectly; and still her dragon eyes allow her one last glimpse of her one true love. She mumbles of how she needs him closer and closer, of how she’s never loved as she loves now. They’re in the clutches of death and as time wears on, she accepts this, and the tears cease.

“Ti amo il mio Titano; Sarò in attesa sul lato opposto.”

The rest of her journey is silent.

---

Hestoni: My sun and stars, how I have loved you like none other. You came to me during my worst and rose with me to my best. We created a family I never imagined having, and ruled a kingdom side by side. You are my titan, my shield, and my best friend; you were manservant once, and husband forever. We may never be remembered in the minds of many, but as long as I am upon your conscience and you upon mine, all else is meaningless. I love you.

Echion: You made my life hell and I’m sure you’ll make my afterlife hell, too. I deserve it for bringing you back from the dead I suppose. In the end though, I have to thank you for everything – all I can hope for now is that I truly made you proud.

Arcteryx: I never had the misfortune of meeting you, if you’re anything like mom. I guess that’s about to change though, huh?

Katriel: You passed before I knew our relation; maybe it was simpler that way. Errant put in some good words about you; I genuinely hope they’re true.

Noori: I’m sorry. Your father and I did wrong to you and Kaida; we were first time parents and barely adults. Please do better with your children, and do not follow my example. I love you, baby girl.

Kaida: Again, I’m sorry. I had the opportunity to fix things and I only pushed you further away. Please don’t do as I have done with your twins; they need their mother. Perhaps someday we will see eye to eye; for now, goodbye and I love you.

Rain: My darling, I wish to have met you and raised you in the true life; but to hear your voice and pull you in close now will be my eternal joy.

Simeon: I did right by you, son. Perhaps not always, perhaps not by pushing and pulling you like a pawn; but I loved you properly, or at least I tried to. Go now and do as you will; forget what your mother told you. Now is your time. And no matter what, you made me proud.

Shahrizai: My lackadaisical and tailless boy, how you warm my heart with your cheesy grins and spontaneous visits. It pains me knowing we won’t have that any more. Please, watch out for your siblings; they haven’t any parents left to guide them, and you are whom I entrust them to. Farewell, love.

Ea: I shipped you off to the Dale, and how I regret it. You inherited parts of me that none others have, but not the fire or the drive. I ought to have enjoyed your childhood, but now you are grown and perhaps you resent me for the way I pushed you. I’m sorry, darling. Forgive me.

Leiland: My special sir, how you touched my heart. You stood by my side much as Hestoni did, even through my errors and misgivings. Go now and do as you will without me on your conscience; grow tall and strong and do well in life for me. I love you, my dearest.

Wrynn: Oh sweet heart, I’m sorry for how I initially treated you. Camrynn may have intervened but I love you, bay coat and crazy eyes and all. Be careful with yourself, you are too naïve for your own good, and the voices in your head might not always help. But trust me on this if you’ve ever trusted me on anything: I will be one of those voices, and I will never stop cheering for you.

Sarkis: Never stop befriending the animals, baby girl. Never stop smelling the sneezy flowers or questioning the way things are or being the bubbly child I raised and adored. Go and make a name for yourself and continue my legend in whichever way your heart desires... Please be okay. I know you’ll take this hardest.

Vi: I’m so sorry I won’t be here to raise you. I’m sorry you were born into the chaos of my ending. I’m sorry that you may never know your twin. But please go on without me. When all else fails, Wrynn will connect you to me, and your nephew Nihlus will take you to me. Visit when you can; I love you.

Volcan: Wherever you are, my child, please be safe. I’ll never stop searching for you.

Lagertha: I really did fucking hate you there for a little while there, especially when I tried to fix everything and you just stomped on what was already pretty dead. In the end though, you deserved the crown and I don’t regret giving it to you. You are my sister, and whether you like it or not, my friend.

Malka: Oh my dear quetzal friend, how you’ve helped me through many a snare and trouble. The perch of my whither is going to be lonely without you resting on it. I don’t mean to say “go kill yourself,” but hurry up a little and get down here so I have my best friend back okay? I miss you already, shit head.

Rhy: I only really liked you because you’re Kag’s granddaughter – just kidding. There’s not many I call friend alongside sister, but you are one. Thank you for everything; and please, do visit. I’ll be mighty cantankerous if you don’t.

Sunday: While rather absent, you were a loyal and true bloodrider. I’ll always remember recruiting you in the field; and considering how well off you are in the Jungle, I just might have to say you’re welcome. And that I’ll miss you.

Kagerou: Well, you old hag, I’m finally coming to get you back for that time when you stabbed me with those ridiculous poison barbs. Really though, I’m nearly dancing to see you again and reminisce about old times – not that I would ever, ever dance. And hey, Kag? Thanks for taking care of Rain, and Kora too.

Errant: It’s been a good run, brother. Sorry for what an asshole I was to you as a teenager, but you’re also welcome for getting you back on the throne. I kicked your ass back into gear and I better not see it break down again any time soon, especially with Lea back. Anyways, you’re the best brother I could have asked for… Thanks.

Camrynn: Fuck you.

Yael: I may have been absolutely awful to you at times, but secretly, I’ve always admired you and Vanquish; reminded me a lot of Hestoni and I. I’ll put in a good word for you when I get down there – not that Van could ever forget you. I certainly won’t.

Crito: Brother! We grew up together and grew old together, from irresponsible brats (mostly me) to cheerful elders (mostly you). I’ll always have a soft spot for you my friend, even if that means attacking you with joy every time I set eyes on you. Please don’t make me wait long to do so again.

Prague: We may not have started out on the right foot, but I just want to thank you for all your doing in my memory… Please, Prague. Find Volcan.

Quark: You taught me control if you ever taught me anything. I wish I could have met with you one last time and apologized for how I acted; visit me sometime, if you feel up to it. It’s going to be quite lonely, being dead.

Brunhild: I owe you. You entrusted me with the Jungle and even befriended me; some might say we would have gone well together, in an alternate universe. But in this world and life, thank you. I know you’re out there, Brunhild. Hopefully they’ll put in a good word for me.

Myrina: Sister by faux-blood or oaths, you mean a shit ton to me. You understood my mourning better than everyone and comforted me when no one else could, even though in the past we hadn’t had the best track record. Thank you.

The Jungle: You were and always have been my home, life, shelter, companion, guide and spouse. It kills me to leave you now after three decades of servitude; I can only hope that you fare well without me.

My other Sisters: Thank you for supporting me during this last troubled year. I wouldn’t have been able to die with sanity and some smidgen of dignity hadn’t you been there for me. It’s been a long thirty years with some of you… I can only hope that I shan’t be forgotten. P.S: Please care for my children while they mourn... You're their family as much as I was. Farewell, Sisters.

Scorch

Khaleesi of the Amazon Jungle

Here lies Scorch,
    Born March third 2013, deceased September twentieth 2015,
    Daughter of Echion Katriel and Arcteryx,
    Jungle Princess, General and Queen for thirty long years.
    Lover of Hestoni and only Hestoni,
    Mother to their many children.
    Friend of few; Kagerou and Malka most predominantly.
    Enemy of many; Camrynn and Lagertha to name only some.
    Having lived a long life of devotion and warriorhood,
    Scorch now lies eternally in the embrace of her lovers, both man and jungle.

OOC: I don't know why I'm doing this to you, baby. You're my roughest toughest darling and I loved you for all thirty months of our being together. You'll live on in my heart and on the afterlife board, my hairless rat. Perhaps someday I'll have the honour of bringing you back to life; hell knows Beqanna will be listless without your fire. So long, my good friend.

Please, before replying, allow Hestoni to reply. Afterwards, go crazy.
    [Image: scorch2.png]

Messages In This Thread
    And so the fire dies - by Scorch - 09-21-2015, 12:00 AM
    RE: And so the fire dies - by Hestoni - 09-21-2015, 08:21 PM
    RE: And so the fire dies - by Vi - 09-21-2015, 08:34 PM
    RE: And so the fire dies - by Shahrizai - 09-21-2015, 08:47 PM
    RE: And so the fire dies - by Sarkis - 09-21-2015, 09:57 PM
    RE: And so the fire dies - by Tantalize - 09-21-2015, 11:40 PM
    RE: And so the fire dies - by Rhy - 09-22-2015, 02:23 PM
    RE: And so the fire dies - by Wrynn - 09-24-2015, 08:58 AM
    RE: And so the fire dies - by Camrynn - 09-24-2015, 09:08 AM
    RE: And so the fire dies - by Malka - 09-30-2015, 09:15 PM