• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

wolves in our own skin; raelynx

Wolves in our own skin, we're savages; we act so primitive.
    I have had an awful lot of time to explore my new home. And it's gorgeous, don't get me wrong. All sorts of lovely scenery to explore, a nice river to play in, great shady trees, and the mountains stand sentinel to the east. Watching our backs, defending us from potential invaders or whatever. It's great. I love it. I'm super excited to live here, and I'm happy about all of that. Really.

But I'm bored out of my damn mind, okay? I mean, Grandma's taken me all over, showing me the sights, telling me stories about our history, and that's been wonderful. I have loved every minute, watching her eyes light up as she remembers tales of my dad's youth, or her own, or my aunts and uncles, so many I haven't even met yet. I even love watching the lingering echoes of old sorrow dim that light as she tells me the sadder parts of our family's story. Because even the sad parts, they're what made us who we are. Just like losing Papa is part of what made us who we are.

Just like getting him back is part of it too.

Here's the thing, though. My dads? Well, they're the tiniest bit overprotective, believe it or not. If I try to wander off on my own, it isn't long before I have a silent bodyguard tailing me and watching out for me, making sure nothing bad happens. I appreciate the impulse to keep me safe. I do. But for fuck's sake, there's only so much living a girl can do with her daddies hovering, you know? I love them dearly, and I know they mean well, but I'm a grown woman (if only just), and I need some space now and then.

Which is why, the one time everyone finally seems distracted at the same time, I sneak away. Oh, I play it cool, just wandering off to the river for a drink, right? No big deal. Nothing to see here, no reason to be suspicious. I do exactly that, taking a nice long drink from the clear water flowing through our territory. I just, you know, don't quite stop there is all. With a glance back over my shoulder, I sneak away toward the edge of the herd land. Maybe, for the first damn time since we came to Beqanna, I will actually get to explore on my own. Even get into just a little bit of trouble. Nothing major, no heart attacks for my dads just yet, but a nightmare or two sounds reasonable.

My gold eyes are wide with delight and just a hint of mischief as I step across the border, a grin spreading across lips so dark a brown they are almost black—I take after my dad's nearly impossibly dark silver black, but roaned out to a pale grey color on my body. And, I suppose, in build I take much more after Papa. Rather than Dad's towering height or broad, heavily muscled frame, I have Papa's sleek elegance, all smooth curves and clean lines and none of the crazy thick hair and feathering.

Anyhow. Not important. What is important is the fact that I seem to have made it out of Echo Trails undetected! I laugh quietly and kick up my heels, indulging in a little triumph-frolicking before setting out toward the infamous Meadow. If I'm going to find a little excitement, that sounds like a fine place to start.
    Do the rain dance like you're on fire.

Messages In This Thread
    wolves in our own skin; raelynx - by Dara - 06-25-2016, 10:51 PM
    RE: wolves in our own skin; raelynx - by Raelynx - 06-29-2016, 05:08 PM
    RE: wolves in our own skin; raelynx - by Dara - 07-10-2016, 07:19 PM
    RE: wolves in our own skin; raelynx - by Raelynx - 07-28-2016, 02:14 PM
    RE: wolves in our own skin; raelynx - by Dara - 08-02-2016, 02:14 PM
    RE: wolves in our own skin; raelynx - by Raelynx - 08-06-2016, 01:32 PM
    RE: wolves in our own skin; raelynx - by Dara - 08-06-2016, 10:55 PM