• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

a beautiful start to a lifelong love letter; family welcome

Screaming like a siren, alive and burning brighter.
    The ceremony is a small one, just a few of our dearest loves gathered close beneath the light of the full moon. Drow insisted on the full moon, so that in a way, Nocturnal could be there with us, standing witness as two of her children bound their souls to their loves. Ah, or really just formalized those bonds; they’ve already been in place for years.

We gather in the heart of our home, in the center of the crater that marks the site of the triplets’ birth. But now, instead of barren earth, it is blanketed in dainty wood violets, little powder blue and violet butterfly flowers, the same ones that nudged Daeryssa a little bit closer to falling in love. A simple, sweet, utterly brilliant maneuver on Pazuzu’s part, and one that makes her smile any time she sees those lovely little flowers.

So naturally, they grow like mad here in Echo Trails.

All of them wanted hands for this moment, and why not? Most of us have spent at least as much time human as horse, carried off to different worlds, reshaped by magic of one form or another time and again. Pazuzu is, of course, responsible for the lovely bit of magic that has wrapped itself around the family’s new holy place, allowing any one of ours who enter to take human shape as well. A temporary measure, one that will dissipate by morning, but one that allows our loved ones the freedom  to join us if they wish. And gives Drow and Arzhur access to a shape they haven’t been able to reach since coming back to Beqanna.

The shape they were in when Drow finally fell in love.

The shape they were in when their daughter was born, and the one Dara spent most of her life in before coming here just a couple of years ago.

Our family sits around the edge of the crater, gathered together to witness the binding of four hearts, of four souls. To formally open our family bonds to Arzhur and Pazuzu, though they’ve long since become an integral part of who we are. Today is about declaring it to the world, or at least the part of the world that matters.

I look around the circle, and my heart aches just a little for the faces that are missing. Some lost to us, some scattered to the winds, some not quite ready to be here with us. Still, we are surrounded by love on all sides, deep and vibrant and beautiful, and that’s absolutely something to celebrate. So I smile, raising my hands to draw the attention of those who have gathered, channeling power into the ground to kindle a small fire at my feet. Blood and fire and magic, intrinsic parts of this family from the beginning and now even moreso. How else could we formalize these unions but with more of the same?

The vows come first. This is their show, I’m just here to throw a bit of power around and do a bit of artwork on their skin. I nod at them one by one, and each steps forward to speak their hearts, to speak their truths, to speak their love for one another for all to hear. And as each does so, I take each of their hands, growing a sharp claw on my index finger so that I can slice each palm until blood wells up, dripping into a silver bowl on the low table before me.

Daeryssa and Pazuzu go first, and when they’ve spoken their vows I join their hands together, palm to palm, blood to blood. And through its mingling, I pour power into the bond between their souls, strengthening and solidifying what is already so vibrant and alive and electric. When it is done, I heal the wounds with a thought, just a brush of healing energy to their joined palms. Next come Arzhur and Drow, and I do the same with them.

When the vows are done, I gather up the bowl of their mingled blood and pull out a pouch and dump the powdered contents into the bowl, stirring it together with a finger. I beckon each of them forward again in turn, Pazuzu first with a nod toward the bowl. We’ll need a bit of his magic to make the ink work and carry over into their horse shapes.

Then I push clothing aside as necessary, baring chests and shoulders and carving the symbols they have selected into their skin with the same sharp claw that sliced their palms. Dipping my fingers into the newly-made ink, I smear it into the wounds, holding my hand over each and washing heat over the markings to activate the magic, pouring healing into their skin to set their new tattoos.

When the tattoos are done and they’ve washed the blood from each other’s skin, I gather them in a square around me, couples opposite one another so the bonds between them vibrate in the air between them, an X with fire at the center where those invisible lines meet. Invisible, but almost tangible, palpable in the air to one with the senses to see it.

“Join hands,” I invite them, guiding them to form a square with their love at the center. The bonds joining the outside of the square flare up as hands join together, and power flows through those bonds with a touch, strengthening, amplifying, grounding the four of them in one another. Steadying them in family, in acceptance and love and trust. Each relationship stronger for being part of this whole, each individual anchored in the love of the other three.

And together they form a protective barrier around their children, guarded from four sides instead of only two. In some ways, they have functioned as a single family from the time they all moved into Echo Trails together. Looking out for one another, taking care of one another, being there for each other’s kids. “You are stronger together. We are stronger together. Never forget that, and remember to take care of each other..”

I kiss each of their foreheads. “Congratulations, my loves. And welcome to the family, boys.” I grin at my new sons, then draw the fire back into myself and ground the excess energy still lingering in the air and flowing between the four of them and vibrating in my veins.. “There, done, seal it with a kiss.” And I duck out of the way so they can do just that.
    I am the fire.

I never knew this side of me, I never felt this way before.
    God, I love those violets. Painted up to look like me, sprawling across the ground and gorgeous and reminding me every damn time I look at them just how much I love my Pazuzu. Mom picked the right place, of course, the heart of home. Where else would we make our vows to each other? Where else would we seal in blood and fire and magic all the love that flows between us?

Hands are a fucking riot, and I’m going to enjoy the hell out of them tonight, once the crowd clears and we’re on our own. Meanwhile they’re a hell of a lot handier, pun only vaguely intended, for things like blood rituals and tattoing and whatnot, no? Plus I look killer in this dress, all powder blue and steel blue, edged in violet. My colors, just like the flowers scattered at our feet. And let’s be real, I’m giddy as hell. Just had my baby girl, who’s cuddled up with her cousins and her brother getting ready to watch the ceremony. Marrying or whatever the hell the man I love more than anything in the whole damn world. It’s a beautiful night.

And I love that the full moon’s shining down on us, watching over us like I hope Mom is. Makes it feel like she’s here, even if she’s been gone for decades now. I love you, Momma Luna. I hope you found peace. I think you’d like my man. He’s strong as hell, loves me with everything he is, and would do absolutely anything to protect me. Plus, that ass, am I right?

Grinning, I turn my attention to my mom, who’s raising her hands and calling forth fire to start the ceremony. Vows first, and naturally I dive right on that. I’d have sworn myself to him years ago, and there’s nothing left to hold me back. “Oh, love. You snuck into my heart with flowers and lightning and how goddamn amazing you’ve been with Tycho from the very first day. I wasn’t going to fall for you, not a damn chance, and you just crept right in and stole the heart from my chest. And I’m so glad you did. You’re my whole damn universe, babe, and I’m yours forever. As long as I live, and on into eternity.

“I promise to love you with everything I am, drive you crazy and make you love it, and hold on tight ‘til we’re both nothing more than dust. I promise to be your safe place, the way you’re mine. I love every part of you, even the ones you’re not so crazy about. Because all of it led you to me. Hell, I’m even glad Gendry set me on fire, the jackass, because it led me to you, even if it took a while.” Shit, does this mean I need to thank him? God dammit.

“You’ve got all of me, forever. Sound like a plan?”

My tattoos come first too, and I stare deep into Pazuzu’s eyes while Mom carves the symbol of our love onto my chest above my heart, smearing weird-ass magic blood ink into it and leaving it black and lovely against my skin. And then another, one that’s just mine. A symbol that means fearless, because that’s exactly how I feel with Pazuzu in my life. Like I’ve got nothing to be afraid of ever again, because he’ll always have my back. And my front.

I leer just a little at him, and if we weren’t very much otherwise occupied I’d jump him where he stands. Later. There will be plenty of time for that later. When my tattoos are done, I watch him get his, my marks permanently etched into his skin. God, I love it. I love that people will be able to just look at us and know, forever. That I’m his. That he’s mine. Mmm, I want to bite him, stake my claim on him in front of everybody. Ha, but I guess Mom’s doing the staking for me, tattooing our bond onto him and all. It’ll do.

For now, at least.

Ah, and then it’s time for the esoteric bit where I stand around and let Mom do her thing, holding hands with Drow and Zur and beaming across the fire at my Pazuzu. Just waiting, feeling just little inklings of whatever it is Mom’s up to, fortifying the bonds between all four of us. Lightning dancing beneath my skin, reaching out to Zu and echoing through my bonds with all three of them.

I squeeze Drow’s and Zur’s hands, holding on tight to them too, just like I promised to do with Pazuzu. And when Mom ends with a kiss to my forehead and closing words and finally declares the ceremony done, I leap into Pazuzu’s arms, because of course he’ll catch me, and wrap mine around him and drag his face to mine for a long, lingering kiss. “Mine.”

And once all four of us have come up for air, I go give Drow a gigantic hug and a quick kiss, and grin at him. “Congrats, brother-mine. Take care of that sexy man of yours, huh?” His answering grin is exactly what I wanted to see, so I bump my shoulder against his and then sneak into the arms of my new brother-in-law. “Hey, you,” I murmur and kiss him too. “Welcome to the family, Zurry.”

Okay, okay, are we done now? I’d really like to drag my Pazuzu off and seal this bond in a much more fun way.
    You make my heart go bang, and I know that we've only begun.

I was nervous. Incredibly nervous which was just stupid. I already knew she loved me. I already knew by the way she told me with her body, with her eyes, with the way her lips would trace themselves across my skin. I knew by the way her eyes would twinkle when we teased each other, the way the words fell from her lips, the two beautiful children she had given me. And of course by those three little words.

But this anxiousness wouldn't go away. As stone cold as I could be other times, this time it wasn't going to be.
    I was also deliriously happy.

Ryss was going to be Mine. More so Mine. Part of me in a way that no one else had ever been or ever would be. She was Mine. I was Hers. And it would be in a way that everyone would know it.

Casting the magic around our home, allowing only those friendly, those that were family to come before I set up a smaller dome, once that would allow those that came to be able to stand easily and without crowding around our small ceremony. I brush my hands, yeah....my hands... down the front of my vest. It was black naturally and so were my pants. Under my vest was a simple white button up shirt. I smooth it down again, more so from the nervousness than any real reason. Then I roll up the sleeves a bit until they are just past my elbows and work on settling myself a little more.

Then, barefoot, I make my way towards the rest of them.

I can barely keep myself from gaping at Ryss, at the way the blue sets off the color of her skin. Skin I plan on getting my hands all over later. I have to stop, and take a deep breath as my heart tries to hammer out of my chest. I place a hand over and just watch her. I smile, standing there just in the shadows, watching her. The way her smile curls her lips and the twinkle of mischief in her eyes. That bond between us must have alerted her to my presence as she looks up and then smiles at me before holding out her hand. I stand there just a moment longer, drinking her before I take my place at her side with her hand cradled carefully in mine.

My eyes find hers after Quark was done with her small bit of magic and her words feel like a punch to my stomach. My heart aches with loving her as much as I do and I'll be damned if I would allow anything to happen to her. I smile at her vows and then with a small laugh, I brush a strand lock of hair away from her face tucking it back behind her ear.

I start.
    "My love, my light." I say with a small pause. Wondering again if she would realize how true that was. "I never planned to fall in love and when I started to, I fought it ferociously. But when I stopped fighting I had to make you see it too." I touch my fingers lightly to her lips, enjoying the feel of the soft skin under my hand, even as smirk curls my lips. "The violets were a perfect touch if I say so myself." Another small pause. "My vows to you are beyond words, but I will try. I will love you forever....and then forever after. I will piss you off. I will fight with you. I will argue. But I will love you more than anyone else. I will make up with you and cuddle the shit out of you. I will hold you. I will protect you. You are Blood of my Blood. And you are my light. There is nothing in this world more infinitely precious to me than you are."

That nervous feeling had faded away to nothing with her standing before me and our vows still lingering in the air between us. Something magical that lingered, some spell that was cast without being meant to. I smile.

"You have all of me forever, even the bits I don't much care for." I say with a little smile, stealing some of her lines. And then Zur and Drow are speaking theirs.

Blood magic, the slicing of our hands, the letting of blood into a bowl and I smile, removing my shirt and vest while Quark was busy mixing, for easy access and why the hell do I still need a shirt anyways?

I keep her eyes, smiling slightly even as I hold one or both of her hands as I wait for my turn with Quark and the tattoos. My beautiful girl doesn't even flinch. After birthing our two babies, there's little doubt that this is nothing. My ink turns into a light blue, the color of her dress and the color of her skin when we would be horses again. I smile as Love is cut into my skin and still as a symbol for healing follows. She has healed me, in so many ways, kept me sane and here and the Darkness at bay.

I lose myself in the rest of the ritual, closing my eyes, feeling the bonds strengthening themselves between all of us. And I smile. My eyes opening as I turn first to Ryss, giving her another smile full of promise. That same smile turning towards Zur as I take him in. And then my gaze turns to Drow. My smile doesn't fade but I give him a little wink before squeezing both of their hands.

Then.
    It's over and I smile as I catch her, kissing Ryss soundly on her lips. "Mine." I say softly back, setting her back down on her feet when I am damn well good and ready before heading towards Arzhur, who looks absolutely shell-shocked, and laugh some, clapping him on the back. "Brother." We search each others eyes for a moment before I pull the man into a hug and squeeze him, holding him for a long moment and understanding.

What we had just done, was big and beautiful. It was taking me a minute to believe it was real. That in this life and all the rest after it she was Mine.

I kiss his cheek before I step away and switch places with Ryss. I don't need to pull Drow in a hug, we meet in the middle. I squeeze him tightly. "Hugs are much handier with hands." I say into his ear with a quiet laugh, referring to that last time he had hugged me and I had stood there awkwardly, but that was before....before all this. Before I realized I loved them all.

I kissed him lightly on the cheek as well, stepping back when I was through and searching his eyes a moment. "Brother." I squeeze his hand and take Ryss's again when I let go. I tuck her against me, enjoying the feel of her warmth and the way her skin slid across mine....

Mmm.
    Wait. "We good?"
    A smirk as I meet their eyes. "As much as I love you all, I'd like to enjoy my hands for the rest of the night." I meet Ryss's eyes. Oh yes, she would too wouldn't she. We always seemed to be on the same page when it came to that.
    **Disclaimer, posting to Pazuzu can result in maiming, torturing, and all kinds of nasty things possibly happening to your pony. If you do not agree, do not post to him or if you do not want your pony horribly maimed, please say so. Most of the time he will just leave some nice new scars, either mental or physical.

You take me places I've never been
    As I take the shape that we had fallen in love in, and the shape that we had had when Dara was just a little girl.....Sadness creeps into my heart at what I had missed. I just sit there a moment, my elbows on the knees of my jeans. Perhaps not the most suitable attire for a handfasting, but most certainly what I was most comfortable in. Anything else seemed wrong. Shirts? I match a dark gray long sleeve thermal one to my dark blue jeans and call it good.

But that was later, after I sat there on a log for a few minutes, moving past Abaddon and all that had came with it. Moving past the fact that I missed so much of Dara's youth and broken Drow's heart almost.

I didn't know if I felt worthy enough after all that to stand here and pledge myself to him forever and after. But I wasn't about to let go again, even if the first time had been out of my control. I was grabbing tight to him and holding him close. At least in these forms we were more of the same height. And it was easy to tuck him into my side, my chest, where ever I wanted him and vice versa. Nights from long ago sneaking into my mind....

No, tonight was for us. Tonight was for the now and staking our claims on each other so the whole world would know. And wouldn't they with the marks clawed into our skin and the love apparent in our eyes?

Ryss looks beautiful in her dress. I smile warmly at her, even as my eyes rove Pazuzu over. I smile again at him. I always figured he would be a dapper dresser. My eyes linger on my mate, on my Drowling and there's so many emotions that threaten to choke me for a moment. I push some of them away. I wouldn't have the doubt I occasionally struggled with clouding this day. Happiness burns itself in my heart as well as the deep love I have for him.

There was nothing I wouldn't do for him. Nothing I wouldn't give for him. And I was so grateful that I had another chance. My heart gives a throb of ache and I press my hand to it momentarily. I slide the sleeves of the shirt up past my elbows, taking his hands in my mind.

The vows.

"Oh my Drowling." I start, emotion already making my voice thick. "I cannot convey how much I love you with words or actions, but I hope that somehow with a mix of it all I can give you an idea. You are what I hold on tight to, what I remembered when I could remember nothing else. And I will give all of myself to you every day for the rest of our days, as long as it will be. I will give you honesty and love and commitment and protect you and our girls with my life if need be." I touch his cheek, sliding my hand until my palm rested on his cheek and my fingers curl at the back of his neck. "I love you and will continue to love you even after we are both bones."

My eyes search his, smiling when I see what I needed to. And even though I know it was his idea to do this, even though I know he loved me with all he was too, I had been worried there for a moment that things were going to go bad.

It had to be the patrols around the edge of the herdland. The darkness that was lurking just out of reach. The thing that made us all a little uncomfortable, and made our skin crawl sometimes in the darkest part of the night. It had to be that which was giving me a bad feeling. Drow would not cast me out now. He would not be so cruel.

Tingling shadows lurking of Abaddon slid into my mind and I have to shake my head slightly to rid myself of the darkness. There was no place for it here.

The pain is sharp and brings me back to the now. Our hands together, the blood mingling and all I can think of is Dara chomping on both her daddies when she had been 'born.' This brings a soft smile to my lips and the tingling energy of Quark's healing sends the darkness away, pushing it back farther.

The carving of the rune into my chest and more healing magic pushes it out of reach. A small smile to Quark when I meet her eyes and a small nod of thanks.

The bonds between us are already strong but this ritual strengthens it. I squeeze their hands and when we are done I kiss my Drowling until I need a breath. I pull away from him with a soft gasp, closing my eyes and resting my forehead against his for a small moment. I slide my hands up to cradle his face and then rest my elbows on his shoulders as we lean against each other for a moment, staring into his eyes. "I love you." I say softly, pressing another soft kiss to his lips before Ryss is there and I smile, stepping back to congratulate Pazuzu as well.

I tug him back and kiss him lightly on the lips. "Brother." And smile when he turns away before pulling Ryss into a hug. I kiss her lightly on the lips as well, careful with her even though I know she can take the rough. But if anyone puts bruises on her today it will be her mate...all of us after perhaps?

"Thank you beautiful." I say, squeezing her again and then letting her go back to Hers. I wrap myself up in Drow, inhaling the way he smells and feels against me. I laugh. "Newbies." First time with hands and all they want to do is have sex....but who was I kidding. I could remember many times with hands.....

Hmm.. My eyes are smoldering a little when I meet Drows.

When I keep falling, you show me things that I've never seen

Silver button down shirt, the top few buttons left undone because fuck it. Soft and silky and smooth beneath my fingers as I brush my hands down my chest, straightening the shirt before I tug on the black jacket that matches the suit pants. I was always more of a barely-clothed kind of guy, running around human before. Legs bare, chest bare, vital bits covered for practicality’s sake. This is nice, though. Sharp, clean, and the silk of the shirt feels good against my skin. Okay. Deep breath, and I’m ready.

Well, almost.

Hey, Mom. I look up at the moon, shining down from so far above. So far away. Look, I know she’s not there, not like...standing on the surface of the moon staring down at me. Dumb to think that just because the full moon is standing witness it means that my dead mom is too. But...but I’d give almost anything to have her standing here in front of me. Straightening my collar, brushing the hair out of my eyes, hell, maybe even tearing up a little at the thought of her baby boy about to get married.

Not that Mom was ever really one to cry. But weddings, man, you know?

I love you. And I wish you were here. Is it fucked up that...that part of me is glad things played out the way they did? If you hadn’t made the choices you did, I might not be standing here today. Getting ready to meet my Zur and swear my life to him. Dad to four amazing girls, and don’t think I’ve forgotten you made the first one possible. I miss you. All the damn time, even now. Got any advice?

The wry grin on my face is answer enough. Of course not. Or at least, none I’d be able to hear.

If she were standing here with me, I’d kiss her cheek, take her hand, and walk with her out to where my living mother is waiting for us to come together. Where my Zur will be waiting too. Since she’s not, I give my sleeves one last tug and make that walk on my own, the way I’ve done...well, so damn many things in my life.

Not on my own anymore, though. And isn’t that part of what today is? Opening myself up to the fact that as long as anyone out there waiting is alive, on my own is a choice, an option when I want a little personal space. But never, ever a necessity. It’s so damn easy to love them, even if the words are hard to say sometimes. Today though? Today is about getting out of my own damn way and letting them love me back.

Mom wraps me up in a hug the moment I reach her, and then smiles and kisses my cheek and fusses over my jacket. Quiet, lovely little touches that say I love you so damn much, and I’m so happy for you, and my little Drow, all grown up and getting married. Reminding me that yeah, one mom’s gone, but I’m a damn lucky man because I got two. I kiss the back of her hand and smile and pull her into another hug. “Thanks, Mom.”

Her hand on my cheek is you’re welcome enough.

And before I know it, we’re gathered around ready to start. Ryss looks fucking resplendent, of course, and Zu looks bangable as hell all dressed up. Zur, though. Zur looks unbearably sexy in casual clothes that are so him. That remind me of the last time we were human, and make my heart ache a little for what used to be, and for how long it took us to get here. That’s okay, though. We’ve got all the time in the world now.

Oh, but there’s some of the same in his eyes, and sadder still. Darker, tinged with regret for the years he missed. Fuck the plan, I pull him into a hug and just hold him close, listening to the beat of his heart and breathing him in. We’ve got a second chance. And if the first one had gone differently, we might never have found our way to this spot, surrounded by love and family. Our triplets might not even exist. Any pain we’ve gone through, any heartbreak we’ve suffered...all of it was worth making it to this moment. Every damn bit of it.

Okay, okay, it’s time. The words bit, and I have no idea what the hell I’m going to say. Naturally, Ryss’s vows roll off her tongue like saying them is as easy as breathing. Always had a way with ‘em, my girl, right from the first. Wise, wonderful Dare-baby all grown up and looking so fucking happy. And Zu finds words to give her back, like magic, like it’s not the hardest part of the whole thing. Finding the words to say I love you so damn much big enough.

God, I should really have figured out what the hell I’m going to say. It’s not like I didn’t have time to plan for this. I’m gonna be standing here like a mute idiot just staring at my Zur and coming up completely blank. I think cutting my chest open and pulling my heart out and handing it to him would be easier, if a little too gory.

But then he opens his beautiful mouth, and everything else falls away.

He touches my cheek, and I want to drag him against me and kiss him until he knows I feel the same. Just hold him forever and let him soak it in through his skin. But he deserves the words. “Ah, hell, Zurry. My whole life I thought…” I trail off and sigh and look over at Mom. “I thought I’d never love someone with my whole heart, not like my moms loved each other. Thought I’d ever be lucky enough to find something so deep and real and true.” Her smile is a little sad, and her eyes shine a little brighter as she nods once.

Then my eyes are on Zur again, and the words aren’t so scary after all. “I was right, I don’t love like they do. I love like I do, like we do. It took me a long time, but you showed me how, so damn patiently even as I fought it, so afraid to get hurt. No...so afraid to be the one doing the hurting. That I could never be enough, could never be worthy of that kind of love, that I didn’t have it in me to--to stay. To be there for you. You showed me otherwise.

“You taught me that I’m the kind of man who, once he loves, he loves forever. Even through hurt and heartbreak and hardship, even through loss and grief and rage, I have loved you all along. You showed me the strength I didn’t know I had, and the depths my love can reach. That it can endure, that we can endure. That I’m brave enough not to walk away. I wouldn’t have known that without you. And I wouldn’t have known that without losing you and finding you again. I hate that you suffered, but I do not regret the path that brought us here today.” Please don’t regret it either.

“I’m yours, Zur.” I look over at Ryss and Zu, and grin. “Hell, I’m all of yours.” And then my eyes are on my Zurry again, and my face is solemn. “Always. I will love you until there is no I left. I will be your home, the way you’re mine. I’ll stand beside you in the dark, and walk with you in the light. Raise our kids with you, be here for you through all of life’s highs and lows. I will love you with every breath in my body, with every beat of my heart. And if there’s anything that comes after, I’ll damn well love you then too. As long as I exist, I am yours. And you’re mine. Sworn before our loved ones, sealed in blood and fire and magic, so you’re stuck with me forever.”

All three of you.

And then the hard part is over. The words are out, somehow, and all that nervousness was for nothing. Vows sealed with a slice from a dragon claw, and there’s no way in hell I’d shy away from it. A little pain, a little bloodshed, what’s that among lovers, right?

While Ryss and Zu and Zur are getting their tattoos, I take off my jacket and that silver silk shirt, lay them carefully across the table, and touch my hand to the skin where Mom will carve love into my chest, carve a rune that means family and completion and unity, harmony and togetherness and undying love. I trace the lines onto my skin with a fingertip, watching as Mom takes that sharp claw to Zur’s chest and gently slices the skin there, gently rubs ink into it and seals it.

When my turn comes, I lock eyes with Zur. Pouring my heart out with a look as Mom etches our mark into my skin. Forever. It’s done far too soon; probably everybody watching knows I’d love it drawn out, slow and agonizing and exquisite. But there’s plenty of time for that later. Still, there’s a hungry edge to the grin that slowly spreads across my face. Soon.

As soon as my tattoo is finished, it’s time for the last part. Standing in a square, hands joined, building strength into each of our bonds in turn, and into the much stronger whole they make. Ryss and Zu take my hands, and I snort and adjust so our fingers are interlaced. If you’re gonna hold my hand, hold my damn hand.

And for the first time, I really feel the less tangible side of my mom’s power, feel it like lightning in my veins, surging through me and into me and down my arms into Ryss and into Pazuzu, and arcing across our little square to join my heart and Zur’s. Holy shit, everything seems brighter, more vibrant and alive and pulsing with vitality. I feel alive, joined to the three people who’ve become so goddamn important to me. Who mean everything to me.

Whatever the shit Mom did, she did it well. When she declares it done, I’m still on fire, and I drag Zur to me and kiss him ‘til I have to either pull back or drag him off into the woods to spare our audience a bit more of a show than I want to give them. Ha, though really, if it weren’t for the littles, there’s a limit to how much I’d care at this point.

Zur rests his forehead against mine, and I breathe and try to get a fucking hold of myself. “I love you too, Zur. So damn much.” Okay. Okay. One more deep breath, and I’m capable of some goddamn restraint. I laugh silently as he kisses me again, gentle and sweet this time.

Then Ryss is in my arms, beaming up at me and pressing a kiss of her own to my lips and telling me to take care of my man. “Oh, precious, I intend to.” A bump of her shoulder and she’s off, whirling her way into Zur’s arms in turn.

Which just leaves Pazuzu.

I meet him halfway, dragging him into a hug that he returns with equal enthusiasm this time. No highly entertaining evasions, just his arms around me and his quiet laughter in my ears. He presses a tame little kiss to my cheek, and I roll my eyes and grin at him, then grab the back of his head and kiss him on the damn mouth.

I let him go, returning the wink he gave me earlier, and saunter back over to my Zur to get all tangled up in him. His little muttered ”Newbies” has me snorting and trailing my fingers along his spine. Because of course, sex is the furthest thing from his mind. Mm-hmm, the heat in his eyes isn’t about taking advantage of a deliciously familiar shape the second our guests have cleared out. Never never.

“God, I know,” I joke, playfully rolling my eyes. “We’ve got people to greet and cuddle and talk to, and all sorts of socializing to do, and all they can think about is getting their hands on each other. Unbelievable.” I smirk and bite Zur’s neck. “Guess it falls on us to be the responsible ones, and the generous hosts. Good thing we’re so up for the task, being so experienced in this shape and all.”

And then I pull back with a wicked grin and take his hand to go say hello to our gathered loved ones. Oh. But first I grab that silk shirt and put it back on, just for the feel of it on my skin. Fuck buttoning it though. Now. Where were we? Oh yeah, bring on the family.
    Know the water's sweet but blood is thicker.
    Wolves in our own skin, we're savages. We act so primitive.
    Today is the very best day ever. My dads are finally, finally getting married. I spent my whoooole life hoping and wishing and willing this moment to happen, and now I get to sit in my favorite spot, surrounded by all my favorite people, and watch my dads tie the knot. Well, or make vows and bind themselves together in blood and whatnot. Tattoos, fire, magic, etc etc whatever the point is married! Ahhh I’m so damn excited I could burst!

I’ve got my Fury girl curled up next to me, and Luna snuggled in on the other side. Halo’s nestled in between her and Roma, and of course Tycho’s just on her other side. And there’s Aunt Strange-Uncle Noctem a little off to the side, on their own and quiet-like, and watching with a happy, wistful little smile on their face. Well, mostly on their own. They’re cuddled up with Tiernan, who most of us littles have taken to playfully calling Grandda because it flusters the hell out of Grandma Quark in the most adorable way.

Really, it’s just nice to see her happy.

And Tiernan and Strange-Noctem go waaay back, back to their beginning almost. Tiernan and his daughter spent lots of time with Grams and Strange-Noctem, cuddling and telling stories and having adventures, and Tiernan was one of the very few who included Noctem even though he wasn’t there in a body. Since they know him a lot better than they know us, they’re cuddled up hugging him, with their head on his shoulder.

Those are the only faces I know, really. Anyone else who might show up, well, I’ll need an introduction after. For now, what matters is sitting back and watching the ceremony. And when it’s done, and everybody’s done kissing and all, I jump up and rush over to hug my dads and revel in the happiest day ever. And, of course, hug Aunt Ryss and Uncle Zu too. I’m very excited for them too. It’s just, I’ve been waiting on my dads to get hitched since the day I showed up. And it’s finally here.

All the littles swarm around our collective parents, overflowing with love and joy and excitement. Even Strange-Noctem comes over, their eyes flipping back and forth between blue and brown. “Congratulations,” they say, looking straight through Dad with faraway unfocused blue, then beaming at him through sharp, rich brown. Hugs all around, for Papa and Aunt Ryss, and one for Uncle Zu too. Blue eyes linger longer, staring into Uncle Zu’s like they’re saying more. And maybe they are. Telepaths, am I right?

Best. Day. Ever.
    Do the rain dance like you're on fire.