• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

Paper crowns on wooden heads; LIL
    ROMEK
    With the turning of the seasons, the weather grew colder and the thick fur of his coat was beginning to come in, the fuzz that marks him as a member of the Northern kingdom. No amount of angry magic gods could take that away from them at least.

Sometimes he wonders what Vanquish or his mother would say if they saw him now, standing knee-deep in snow, furry, but still shivering. But, of course, they wouldn’t say anything, because they are dead, gone, and exist only in fragments of memories.

Today, the spotted stallion is looking for his daughter. It is rare to get much quality time with his children, one-on-one at least (he had three, after all, and most likely one more on the way…) and what with his kingdom duties, one or the other had to give. It was a balancing act.

fuck all your dreams, they’re not all they seem
    i pretend to close my eyes;
    i pretend i'm burning bright.
    I was not super impressed with the Tundra at first. It is cold, and in the spring it is squishy and wet and I still do not like wet. But there are places to go that are less squishy, and when I’m cold I just make sparks and little bitty fires that keep me cozy and fend off the chill. Plus, I’ve got Romek. He said I could call him Dad, but I like his name. It’s the first one I ever heard, after all, and the first one I said too. So when I see him wandering through the snow all alone, it’s not the word dad that I shout to draw his attention as I grin and bound toward him. Or at least not just, anyhow.

“Daddy Romek!”

I cuddle up against him the second I reach his side, closing my gold eyes and rubbing my face against his shoulder. “Guess what I did today!” I exclaim, bouncing back a step so I can look up at him, all wiggly with excitement. “I explored a new cave, and I played chase with a deer--though I don’t know if the deer knew how to play chase, because when I caught it and ran away it didn’t chase me back. Silly deer. Maybe deer have different games? I’unno, anyhow, I tried to play chase with a deer, and then? Oh, um, then I...didn’t start a fire! Or, didn’t start a big one, anyhow. Snow’s a handy thing, huh? It may be cold and yucky, but it’s good at keeping fire from getting biiiig. Which I guess is a good thing, even if big fires are pretty. And fun.”

Ooh. A big fire would be nice, though. “Ummmm, so is there maybe somewhere that it is okay to make big fires? Just...just out of curiosity, of course.” I smile really big and blink, all innocence and charm. Really. “Or! Or to practice, that’s a good reason, right? Yeah, to practice, because it’s safer if I have better control, right? Good, yes, that. Where’s good to practice with big fire? Oh also hi, I miss you, how are you?”
    ROMEK
    Of course, the chill of the Tundra is one that takes a little getting used to at first. He knew it more than well enough, having been born in the hottest of the Beqanna climes and then having grown up in it, lived in it for the vast majority of his life. No doubt this is how the fire girl feels, surrounded by ice and snow. But there’s always warmth somewhere, whether that be pressed up against your family, or in one of the rather expansive limestone caves. It was a cold place, but there were pockets of warm, if you knew where to look.

He’s wandering around the Tundra, musing on his Maribel and their coming children, when he hears a very familiar, and very welcome voice. His face breaks into a smile as he trots to his daughter to close the distance between them quicker.
    ”And what did little-Lili-fire-face do today, then?” he responds, as she rattles off a list of activities that she has completed and Romek nods approvingly, laughing at her story of the deer, choosing not to butt in until she has completely finished.
    ”You certainly speak like a wildfire, little one.” he says. ”As for fires, I’m not too sure the King would be happy with you setting fire to his poor kingdom and all its sparse shrubbery. How about we take a little exploring trip and we see if there’s any abandoned herdlands that you can practice in. How does that sound? And I’m sure it would be okay to practice your fires in the mountains, although perhaps don’t go up there until summer, okay? In winter the snows are fierce, and in spring the melting is unpredictable, and dangerous.”

He pauses for breath, beaming down at his girl. ”I must say, I am proud of your ambitions. Keep practicing, and someday you may burn down the whole of Beqanna on your own!”

He reaches down to snuffle her mane and between her shoulder blades. She truly was entirely too precious.
    fuck all your dreams, they’re not all they seem