• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

bayom hahu - kabechet, any
    Oh El Hashem, it feels good to laugh again; to feel more than mere satisfaction with the way of the world at the moment is a gift the child does not know she has given.

They chatter and giggle some more on the walk back to the Desert. Even if Kabe already knew how to fly, it would have been a long flight and doing it in one fell swoop took some getting used to. Besides, they needed time to get to know each other, and Yael would rather learn more about her newest daughter than try to simultaneously chat and keep an eye on her in the sky. She would like to give the girl her full attention - which is something some of her other children rarely got.

First things first, she wanted to know the girl’s history, and though she could probably have surreptitiously plucked it from her mind without Kabe ever feeling a thing, she didn’t want to start off their relationship like that. She rarely read her children’s minds, preferring to focus on what they were feeling instead. Feelings were easier to see, easier to deal with and ‘fix,’ when the case called for it. After a lull in the conversation, Yael takes a deep breath, “I don’t mean to pry, dear but I cannot xelp but vonder xow anyvone could leave you? Do you remember anyt’ing of your mozer? Of course, you do not xaf to answer. I vas simply curious. And please feel free to ahsk me anyt’ing, Kabe. I am an open book.”

Now she is. Now she is an open book. There was a time when she kept a few secrets from her loved ones. But those days were over.

They are not too far from the border now, and the spicy, cinnamon and slightly earthy smell of the Desert seems more welcoming now than the past twelve months combined. She can’t wait to show her to Van’s tree. He would have liked her.

Yael, guardian of the desert

All the way to the Deserts, Kabechet literally bounces along as she walks alongside of Yael, a grin plastered upon her small muzzle. Not even a narrow prevention of her right wing's attempt to trip her up could ruin the yearling's happiness. A new home, an adoptive mother who proving to be all the red dun girl could have hoped for. Life was good, life was wonderful in fact. Had she made her new mother equally happy? A quick glance at the golden mare's face seems to confirm that she has, for she seems as pleased with how things had turned out as Kabe herself does, which was good to see. The adult pegasus was gentle and kind, and already, it made the girl even happier to see Yael feeling likewise. As they pause close to the sandy border, she lifts her head to scent the air more deeply. The breeze is becoming warmer, and it carries with it the spicy perfume of her new homeland, a smell the young pegasus had never come across before. How lovely it was, a caress of her olfactory senses.

She turns her attention back to her new mother as she begins to speak, watching her lips intently and mentally shifting the uniquely-accented words into more common terms one by one, so that there would not be an uncomfortable pause before she responded. "No, it's alright to ask, Momma. " The filly pauses briefly to see if this term is acceptable to use, or if she should be more formal when addressing her adoptive parent. "She was around, but less and less as time went on, especially after I was weaned...and one day she wasn't there at all anymore. But I don't have to be alone anymore, I have you now, right? " The tiniest trace of fear enters her voice with this question--she never wants to wake up and find herself alone again. Yael said that she could ask questions of her in turn, and so she does to take her thoughts back off this path. "What are the other horses that live there like? Do you have any other children? I hope there are going to be new friends for me in your Deserts. If not, you'll just have to be my playmate then. " The impish grin is back now, flashing a playful challenge at the sun-colored mare.

kabechet
    Momma…

It’s so close to her own word for mother, Ima, that she almost mistakes Kabe for having picked up on it, somehow. But no, that was impossible. She’d never even said shalom to her, or neshama. Not even Mikhael spoke her language, though he was kind enough to call her Ima. Momma was just as good, and though it took her slightly off-guard, Yael smiled a tiny little pleased smile. “Of course, dear. Alvays.” If nothing else, Yael was good at popping up in her children’s lives, whether they wanted her to or not. She was pretty sure she’d surprised Mikhael by coming to see him and Nairne and Natilyn in the Falls.

She misses them; another part of her family, gone.

Perhaps in time, Kabe would meet all of her family, but Yael believes that might take a very long time. Nevertheless, she enjoys the young girl’s eagerness. “Oh, for ze most part, t’ey ahr very nice. Peaceful. Ve haf two Keens, Pevensie and Camrynn, and me and some of my familee, xoo you vill meet soon, I xope! Ahnd some ozers… lots of t’em come ahnd go, t’ey do not leev een ze Desert ze vay t’at some of us do.” Some used the kingdom as a home base, a place to return to when they got tired, and others used it as an actual home, working for the betterment of the kingdom.

“I xaf… seven ozer cheeldren, t’ough zer ahr only two around right now. Tree, counting you.” Yael winks at her, letting her know that she is already a family member in the golden woman’s eyes. “You’ll xaf to ahsk Gaza to teach you xow to chase ze camels. Eet vas vone of xis fazer’s favorite past-times.”  

She would never admit it, but while she tsked at them for torturing the poor beasts, she secretly loved watching them create chaos while running across the dunes.

Yael, guardian of the desert