• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

all that glitters is gold - Illusen

kreios

don't you tame your demons, but always keep them on a leash

A week ago I might have shied away, but I extend my muzzle without hesitation. She feels like a cloud too, is the first thought that comes to mind, and I pull away with a shy smile.

Illusen talks of the army and how I must be an asset to them, and I wonder how best to tell her that I have not the least amount of battle experience. Part of it is my own choice, but it is mostly a result of the peace that currently spreads across Beqanna. There is no need for bloodshed and no call for war. As I planned the beginning of my own herd however, it’s occurred to me that that I might have to fight to defend them. I would need to other reason, I realize as Illusen steps a little closer – of course I would fight to defend her, and Nymeria too.

She speaks to Pomona, thanking the brightly-winged mare for her help, and glance toward the west, where my home is. When she looks back at me though, I turn quickly, looking down at her beside me with a broad smile. “Of course,” I reply, “Whatever you would like.” It’s true, I realize. How strange. “Goodbye.” I tell Pomona quickly, and then bump my shoulder very gently against Illusen.

“It’s this way,” I say, stepping forward to start the trip to the Orange Country. I am surethat she will walk beside me, so I continue, and we make our way through the common lands, and then along the path that leads through Misty Rapids. As we walk along the ever shrinking creek, the land around us begins to rise, until it is clear that we are in the orange canyons that some say give my herd land its name. As we round the final bend though, the lush scent of ripe citrus reaches my nose, and I know we have arrived. This is why I think it is called Orange Country.

Though the river is dry, there remains a deep pool against the canyon wall that waters our oasis. It is not enormous – no more than five acres – but I find it flawless. “What do you think?” I ask, turning to Illusen at my side. I can recall Nymeria’s first reaction with perfect clarity, and hope that the cloud mare beside me will be just as appreciative.

Well I've been saved by the grace of southern charm,
    I got a mouth like a sailor and yours is more like a Hallmark card

She smiles up at him and follows along at his side, her shorter legs making her have to take two strides to his one. Delicate hooves turned her rolling gait into a dance, dark eyes watching the red and white stallion out of their corners. The lands of Beqanna were a sight to behold, much different than Reykjavik where she had been born. The kingdom to which they belonged and through which they passed was breathtaking with it's pink sands, although it had nothing on where he took her next.

The delicate but heady scent of oranges filled the air, and a deep still pool reflected the walls of the canyon. Breaking apart from him briefly, she turns in a small circle to encompass the whole view. Smiling up at the sun that beat down upon her cloud hued hide, a bubble of delighted laughter escapes her lips. This was home? It was magnificent! She would enjoy living here, especially with him. It was not often one met a true gentleman, especially nowadays. Turning back to him with a smile, she pranced over to him with her tail flagged over her back, the long white tendrils floating on a breeze soft as a baby's kiss. Bumping his broad shoulder with her dark muzzle, she spoke her feelings about her new home.

This is home? It is truly beautiful! The scent of the oranges is a delight to the nose, but not so potent as to cover up any important scents. And the sun, the feeling of the sun upon my back is something I had missed greatly. My father's territory was in the mountains and had a frigid glacier at it's heart, but I have always found that I much prefer something warmer.

Realizing she was babbling like a brook, she bumped his shoulder once again with her velvety black nose. Turning with another bubble of laughter, she began to frolic and play around the small meadow before them, weaving in and out of the orange trees. Every now and again she'd stop to inhale the sweet fragrance of a bloom only to be off and prancing again the next moment.

Mare
    Hispano-Arabe
    15.3 hands
    Gray (bay roan based)(Ee/Aa/Rr/Gg)
    Kreios, Orange Country, no young
    Sael
    Well I'll keep drinkin' and you'll keep gettin' skinnier,
    I'm just like you, only prettier
    Illusen

kreios

She seems to like it here. I watch as she spins about, taking in all the sights with happy laughter. Though my opinion of the place has always been that it is lovely, it is good to know that my judgment is not so terrible. It’s been confirmed now by both Nymeria and Illusen, and I feel much more at ease.

Illusen returns to my side, still smiling, and I return her bump with a nudge of my own. She is so soft, I think again, but then she’s speaking and I do my best to listen. She speaks of her past – of her father – and I am swarmed with memories of my own sire. He ruled a desert and not a glacier, but the memories are no less potent.

“I like the warmth too,” I say, enjoying the heat of the sun on my broad back even as the words leave my mouth. “My brother, Kratos, lives in the northern Tundra where I hear they have winter three-quarters of the year. I wouldn’t like that much, I don’t think.” I far prefer the semi-tropical climate of this place; more so even than the Desert, I am beginning to realize.

When Illusen leaves my side, I’m ready this time to follow her rather than simply watch as she prances about. My tread is heavy and I keep out of her way, unable to move as elegantly as she does when she weaves between the trees. I am not at all ungainly – only large – and the stamina built from years training in the Desert ensures that I do not tire easily. Passing through the trees I stop at the edge of the water. It’s shallow, the last remnant of the extinct river, but the underground spring that feeds it is enough to ensure that the herd land will always have enough water.

I’m sure Illusen will come back to me soon enough, and when she does I ask: “Have you lived anywhere else? Besides your father’s territory, I mean.”

I won't be what you want me to be
    Your picture perfect vanity
    I don't want to be your dirty pretty

Stopping before him, she faces his bulk of protection and smiles up at him, laughing softly at mention of his brother living willingly in a place that was mostly winter.

Your brother must be quite different than you if he voluntarily chooses to live in the bitter cold for much of the year. I only had half siblings, though one of them was my best friend. We looked much alike, except she got to keep her bay roan coloring.

Dark eyes cloud over with the storm clouds of worry as he asks the question she'd most like to avoid, the one she dreaded most. She had indeed had another home before she came here, and it had not been the most pleasant experience. Sighing softly, she drops her head as she answers him.

Yes, I had another home before I came here. When I was two years old, another stallion saw myself and my sister Symphony in a common area and decided he had to have us for himself, despite the fact that we were both too young to be what he wanted us to be. He stole us from our father's herd under cover of darkness, and then forced us into his own. The other mares were jealous of us, he treated us like prizes that sparkled, making us run before him in our herd's movements near my father's lands, taunting him. I try my best to forget what happened during that first year, other than my sister there was never a horse I trusted after that. Well until I met you that is. He forcebred us many times, and though I never became with child, my sister did and she died in childbirth because her body wasn't yet ready to bear the stresses of it. After the death of my sister I hid from him as much as possible, and in the end I managed to escape by leaving the island and swimming towards the next nearest land mass.

Head still held low, she looked up at him with her dark eyes nearly sparkling with unshed tears. She felt such shame for enduring that for so long, knowing that another more gentle man wouldn't want her tainted heart.

Mare
    Hispano-Arabe
    15.3 hands
    Gray (bay roan based)(Ee/Aa/Rr/Gg)
    Kreios, Orange Country, no young
    Sael
    Mirror mirror, you're so vain
    Would you sell yourself for fame?
    Are you the vulture, or are you the dove?
    Illusen

kreios

Though we shared a womb, there are few similarities between my twin brother and I. Kratos had always been our father’s favorite, and though Mother loved us equally, I know that her warrior’s heart found more pride in my aggressive brother than in my quiet manners. I’ve never blamed him for it, even when he tormented me, but I cannot help but to be glad that we have chosen such separate paths in life. I’ve no plans to go to the Tundra, and I doubt he will return to the Desert.

Illusen mentions half-siblings, and I listen curiously. I have those too, both older and younger. I know those that reside in the Desert but no others. I think, sometimes, that I am more fond of Gaza than I am of my own twin, though I’d never admit this aloud. “My siblings and I all inherited our mother’s spots,” I tell her, glad that we share this.

When she answers my question about previous homes, I would have never expected the answer that I received. I can tell that something is wrong when she drops her head instead of meeting my gaze, and then she starts to speak. Though she cannot see, my eyes grow wider as her story progresses. How could that have happened? How could her father have not protected his daughters, how could the other mares have tolerated it, how had Illusen even survived? I feel sick to my stomach, but stronger than that is my rage at the creature that had so hurt the mare beside me.

Without really thinking about it, I step forward and pull Illusen against my chest, looping my neck over hers and holding her tightly. “I’m so sorry,” I tell her, my voice quiet, my muzzle close to her pale ears, “You were so brave, to escape.” I had oftimes lamented my own sad childhood, but this was nothing compared to Illusen’s tale of horror. “I’ll never let someone hurt you again,” I tell her, meaning each word, “I promise. You’re safe with me.”