• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

will it hurt when it all burns down; moment
    My new friend is a very good listener, which is good because I can talk a whoooole lot. I snuggle a little closer, cuddling up to the cozy warmth of his body and wrapping my wings a little bit tighter around us to chase away the cold. “Yeah,” I agree, nodding with my face pressed against his neck. “My daddy is pretty great, and I’m really, really lucky to have him.”

And then it’s my turn to listen, and I can be good at that too. Especially since it’s something that is pretty obviously hard for him to talk about. I cuddle him and let him find the words, even if it’s difficult. And when he’s done telling me about the stars, I rub my cheek against his fur again. “That sounds really hard, Mo. I don’t think I’d love that either. Stars are really pretty far away in the sky, but it sounds like they’re a lot less pretty close up. But maybe if they ever come back, I can help you with the fires. I’m getting good at putting them out; I’ve had lots of practice. Or. I mean, well, I could if my fire comes back…” I trail off, biting my lip. “I guess it’s not the most helpful offer right now, huh? Sorry, I sort of forgot.”

Mo still seems sad about his mom, which is really understandable. I’d probably still be pretty sad about mine if I didn’t have a most excellent daddy to help me get over it. Okay, and so maybe secretly sometimes I’m still really kind of sad about her, but the longer I’m alive the more I think the way she was with me was because of something wrong with her, not with me. Or. I at least hope that. “I wish your mom had been more like my dad too, Mo.” Everybody should have a mom or a dad that loves them like my daddy loves me. Especially nice boys with sad eyes just about begging for a cuddle.

When he asks if I’ll still get to see my dad, and offers to go up the mountain on my behalf, my brow furrows and I sigh. “I can still see my dad. I just can’t visit him there, or live there, or anything like that. He can come to me. I was a little scared at first that she’d take him away from me too, because he’s the only home I’ve ever had. But she didn’t. He came and found me. And thank you. That’s very nice of you. But I don’t think she’d let somebody else plead my case for me. And even if she would, I wouldn’t want you to go through all that just for me. I’ll be fine. I’ve still got my family, even if I can’t live with them.” And if there’s a bit of a stubborn set to my jaw, well, I’m still mad at her and maybe don’t want to be on good terms with her yet.

And then for the first time I think to wonder, and the wondering proves to be an excellent distraction. “Hey...hey, Mo? Do you have somewhere to stay now? I mean, with the whole world changing thing and all? If not, you could...I mean, you don’t have to, so you can say no, it’s okay. I won’t be upset. But if you maybe wanted to, you could stay with me. Or if you want an actual someplace to call home instead of just wandering around, my daddy has room at Taiga. It’s really pretty, and my family’s very nice.”
    Will you fight when it all burns down?

Messages In This Thread
    RE: will it hurt when it all burns down; moment - by Lilitha - 09-23-2016, 07:55 PM