• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

anyone;
    BUT HOW COULD YOU KNOW THE SWEETEST SUFFERING
    OF MOVING ON
    Everything is still so new, untouched. Tiphon abandoned the coast with his eyes trained on the palm trees and the viridian forest beyond. There has been no magic to destroy, only create. The beauty is actually breathtaking. Beqanna warped its body into something far vaster and was kind enough to still let them remain. With how it devoured itself it could have easily destroyed them all, too, but here they stand with a new home. Tiphon’s body quivers with anticipation and a breath catches in his throat when he takes pause in the shade of a tree. Behind him he can still here the lull of the waves lapping at the shore. Just barely he can hear the voices of his family.

With hushed footsteps muffled by the continued sand Tiphon ventures deeper into the bosom of the island. There are birds whistling as they soar high above, but there is no other life beyond that. They are new, so very new, that more creatures haven’t yet found the solitude of their sanctuary. How can they? He muses with a half grin. Their home is protected by the water and the magic from their bodies has been sapped and harvested in the mountain.

For now, they are safe.

While consumed by his thoughts Tiphon doesn’t realize where he is going, but he finds relief in the solace. His gaze lifts and there is a spring in front of him gurgling, welcoming him home.

TIPHON
    STARLACE AND INFECTION

amanita

Blood calls to blood.

I step with near silent footfalls across the misty grounds. The trees above me are just beginning to show signs of new growth, bright green buds poking from the skeletal arms. I blink in the light that filters through the heavy air. I had been asleep when the world was ripped asunder and I have only just awoke to this new place. Water surrounds me, sky is above me. What I do not know is, who am I?

I remember only brief flashes of faces. Darkness. Bright light. A tugging in my heart for a particular beast, but who is he? I sigh and continue my sleepy walk. I am never even certain that I am awake for the slight tingle of magic in the air always feels like a dream. A dream, and familiar. I shake my head and bright black curls tumble around my face hiding the brilliance of my green eyes. It is easier to see if at least part of the world is shaded.

I plan to carry on but a scent, familiar, somewhat.. frightening? It catches my attention and I hesitate in my steps. My teeth grind with anxiety and I step back, not prepared to move further forward. Not yet. My nose quivers and I suck the scent down again. Male. Pain. Wings. The memories elude me yet.

Curiosity drives me. I cannot escape my own urges, so I will go forward. I step into his path limbs quivering, ears slightly back and eyes wide. I'll run if I have to but he is so much bigger than I anticipated. I will not get far.

Vida had been expecting something gorgeous here in the middle of the herd's new island home, but never in her wildest dreams could she have pictured this. Her eyes nearly bugged out of her head as she took in the sight of the large spring, its water churning with soft power beneath its surface. The grulla mare made her way to the banks, being careful with her leg, something that she was getting more annoyed by with every second that passed.

When the mare reached the bank, she lowered her head. Looking at her reflection, Vida thought back on all that had happened so far. It seemed like not that long ago, but looking at all of what Beqanna had done; and yet still allowing the horses she sheltered to remain in this land... to give them homes... it astonished her to no end, the generosity of this place. It far exceeded the capacity of her sheltered heart.

The trees nearby provided a good sense of shade, but for once, Vida did not care for the sun. In fact, she enjoyed the warm feeling it spread across her back, a refreshing thing considering the most recent environment she'd been in had been full of snow.

Either way, it was a nice day in their beautiful home, and Vida would enjoy it. The mare tucked in her legs, deciding to take a nap on the soft grass by the banks of the spring. Her body was carefully lowered to the ground, her leg relieved to finally have a release of weight. The mare kept alert in case other horses were to come by, or any other animals for that matter, but even with that, she laid her head down on the ground, a content sigh escaping her as she closed her eyes.
    BUT HOW COULD YOU KNOW THE SWEETEST SUFFERING
    OF MOVING ON
    They are drawn like moths to a flame (but he is no longer their guiding light). Their eyes find him, drink him in, but neither utter a word. Tiphon, silenced by the singing of birds and the rippling of the spring, regards them plainly at first. They are islanders now, like him, but their scents are distorted. He remembers Vida, but the other? No.

Their scents are muddled by their trek here, their swim having bathed them in sea salt and sand. It’s a smell he is still adjusting to, but he is quickly admiring it with each passing day. It isn’t the Dale – it never would be – but it is home now. This is a paradise where their names will be etched into history and they will create something greater than what they had in The Before. Having a mote (actually much larger than that) surrounding their island protects them, but it won’t be long until that will be more easily overcome. In the meantime, they will swim or fly.

”Hello,” he finally says to Amanita, drawn to her uncertainty and her wide eyes, but then he looks back and smiles, ”Vida, hello to you again.” She has followed them as he hoped she would. It was an opportunity for change, for a new home for her. He immediately embraced her into this family of theirs. The excitement in having her here is subdued by his interest in the stranger. He inches toward her slowly then stops with their eyes meeting and holding. ”I’m Tiphon and this is Vida,”he implies the mare behind him with an inclination of his porcelain head, ”Welcome to Ischia.” The name is still foreign on his tongue, but sweet like the nectar in the native flowers.

TIPHON
    STARLACE AND INFECTION
    Vida knew that voice easily. It was one she would not forget. It held the same gentle, caring tone that the stallion had used with her when he'd offered her this place to call home, his home too. Feeling it would be safe, she'd followed, and now had this beautiful island to live on. It was really a wonderful place, filled with good friends and a herd that would help support each other.

Vida smiled at Tiphon as she stood back up again to greet the other mare. The grulla kept her weight off of her healing limb, the pressure still feeling like a large tree trunk pressing down when she applied weight to it. Alas, it did not hinder Vida that much when she was walking; the pressure was there for only a second or two. Standing still, then it really hurt.

Tiphon greeted the blood-bay mare, introducing both himself and Vida in the process as he welcomed the stranger. Vida dipped her finely sculpted head in greeting, her brown eyes shimmering with welcome as she greeted the mare as well, "Hello."

Now that spring had come around again, and Vida's winter coat was gone, she felt more like herself. Her coat shimmered under the sun, its flawless design causing the color to take on the appearance of thickened ice, a glossy appearance to it. Her coat was healthy, its grulla color like a finely polished river stone. The other mare had quite the stunning color as well, but in Vida's opinion, Tiphon beat them both.

On the days she'd encountered him, she'd more than once had to force herself to look away in case she accidentally said something stupid. However, there was nothing to be feared, for she would never say anything; she knew Tiphon probably had other mare(s) he was after.
    In the old days, the world had moved as one would have normally thought. Time ran from sunrise to sundown and everyone bathed in both the day and the night with equal brilliance. One slept during Beqanna’s dark hours, and reveled in the day. This, as far as Ashley was concerned, was the way that it had always been, and until recently, this was the way he was convinced it was going to stay.

Until the Reckoning.

The All-Mother had granted him his abilities. In the face of derision and suspicious behavior, the red buckskin man had gone down the mountain and had made the swim again. He breathed deeply and closed his eyes, and stretching out, he willed the sea to bend around him. With a charge that sent the blue waves of electrical current down his body, his backhand morphed, springing forth a tail of a brilliant turquoise blue that reminded him of the brilliance of the bacteria that glowed by night on the coastline of his beloved Island. The scales glowed under the light of the moon, and the gills that sprouted behind Ashley’s jawline allowed him the wonderful opportunity to stay beneath the waves, aiding him the ability to see the world as never before.

By night, the eerie shadows of the coral and fish that made their home in this watery deep moved this way and that as a dance, swaying with the waves and moving with the pale light of the moon. He took a solid drag of the salt water, filtering out the oxygen that would be used to pump his tail and propel him forward. He found that he enjoyed this swim much more, and for the first time, his joy was not fueled by anger, or aggression, or adrenaline—instead he swam with the pure joy of being able to see life from another perspective. The sand beat against his tail as he moved with the grace of a fish—or a mer-horse, since he be something out of mythology itself—and when he was close enough to Ischia that the sands began to change, and the phytoplankton danced around him in the bright blue on their way to the beach, he once again became quadrupedal rising out of the deep like Aphrodite. Seafoam clung to his hair, and the shells that tangled in his mane only became more clustered together as more tangled their way into his auburn hair.
    He was one with the ocean.

He shook off what he could, a thick deposit of white salt still staining his red-brown pelt. Moving inward towards the spring, Ashley’s nostrils widened, taking in the familiar scent of Tiphon. Changing his path, he headed in his friend’s direction, stopping with surprise when he saw two mares he was unfamiliar with. Bowing to them, he speaks. “Hello. I am Ashley.” But turning to Tiphon, his exterior becomes easy and he motions in the direction of the spring. “You been in for a swim yet, or are you afraid to get your feathers wet?”
    ashley
    I walked the path, it led me to the end.

amanita

I know I am staring and yet I cannot seem to pull my eyes away. There is something there in his face. It is hovering right on the edges of my mind and yet I cannot seem to pull it closer. Then another mare appears and my attention is pulled away. She is bright, smiling and I feel myself taking a small step back. I am not used to such joy, such happiness. My brow furrows slightly as I glance from her back to the stallion who has captured the majority of my attention.

I am grasping at memories again when another stallion approaches. Again I find myself shifting backwards. Too many faces that I had not expected. My eyes cast downward as they speak and I scuff the earth nervously. When I look back up, finally prepared to say something.. make some sort of apology for intruding or introduction, I am suddenly bombarded with recognition.

"Starlace." My sister. That is how I know him. That is why I was drawn here to this lonely island. However, whatever it was has dissipated and I feel no urge to stay. This is not the time nor place. I mumble some apology, some parting and spin to take my leave.