• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[open]  Spring in your step
    thought we built a dynasty
    that heaven couldn't shake

The midmorning sun warmed the dark brown fur of the older filly and pulled her out of sleep. She slowly opened her eyes and hefted her body off the ground, her long legs making the motion a little awkward. Dew from the grass clung to her in delicate droplets and she shook from head to tail to expel the moisture, finishing with a kick of a hind leg. With a small snort, she gazed around the den at her nameless fellows.

She had wandered into this place the night prior and had promptly collapsed in an exhausted heap. Feeling refreshed from the night's sleep, the brown filly snuffled her way around the grass at her feet in order to get something into her belly. Every once in a while she would look at her surroundings, sighing in a sort of bittersweet happiness whenever one of the other orphans was plucked from this nest by a prospective guardian. She was particularly happy for the much younger ones who needed a parent figure's protection immediately.

She wondered who she might meet here, thinking of various scenarios as she rubbed her face against her white foreleg. Ever the optimist, and feeling particularly peppy in the warmth of the spring morning, a high-pitched squeal escaped her and she took off around the den in a canter, throwing in a couple bucks here and there for the fun of it. She continued with the burst of energy for a few minutes, stopping finally for a satisfying roll in a patch of dirt, opting to simply laze on her belly and clip at the grass and clovers tickling her knees.
    degas
    immortal child

Here it comes with no warning; capsize, i'm first in the water
    Spring comes, and along with it comes new life and change.

Lucrezia had found herself with rather a new life. It was not new life of a foal that changed her life, but the fact that she had become the new leader of her home. Leader—it sounded strange and foreign to her. Honestly, she was not sure how to make it out just yet. Her family had a history of ruling kingdoms and she had been shaped and groomed to take and control a kingdom one day too.

Then again, that was the way of her childhood and upbringing. She was expected to be someone she was not ever supposed to be. Her world of dreams and comfort of family and love had only been lies. Perhaps her sister and father truly did love her, but despite all of everything that it turned out to be it seemed very likely not so. Lucrezia had in the end made her own path, despite even the fact that she somehow ended up with a crown in her hands and power on her shoulders to rule a land and the people within it.

It was different though.

She would rule with a morality that was of goodness and fairness. Her leadership would be founded upon governance of truth and virtue that had long been forgotten. It would not be like the kingdoms and rulers that had torn her home before and changed the world of Beqanna completely. Even so Lucrezia would ensure that no one ever crossed her home again for their own personal greed and lust for power.

No matter how heavy the crown weighed heavy on her shoulders, and filled her head with thoughts of hardships, she was rather optimistic today. Her thoughts and absentminded thinking had lead her away to wandering outside of Tephra. Lucrezia couldn’t remember the last time she had left the volcano and small islands behind. An adventure is what she needed—to feel the air and spring scents of new life too.

Eventually, wandering for hours and hours since the early morning hours, just before the sun had risen, she had reached the den. Lucrezia had at last come to her senses—the smell of newborns and memories of last spring recall a rather tasteless memory she does not feel fond of much. Etojo though crosses her mind and she wonders what has become of him.

Then again he simply escapes her mind when she comes across the brown roan overo filly. Lucrezia is quick to stop in her pathway, “Oh,” she says loudly, just becoming aware she was about to run into the girl. “Sorry, I didn’t see where I was going.” She laughs softly. Lucrezia’s warm nutmeg eyes examine the filly over for just a moment. “I’m Lucrezia. What’s your name?” She asks with a soft smile lingering on her thin lips.
    ...too close to the bottom.
    html © samshine| character info: here | picture reference: here
    Profile | Detailed Bio | Character Reference

Degas begins to daydream as she lays among the dirt and grass. Would a new family and new home be the same as her old one or completely different? Her mother had been a very kind and loving one, thoughtful and wise. A frown creeps onto her lips as she thinks about her mother now. The older mare had not survived birthing the girl's younger sibling, who had been stillborn. She wonders for a moment how many other foals in this place have had similar beginnings.

She pushes the negative thoughts out of her mind just as someone stops short of her resting place, the larger hooves making a dull thump in the grass. The filly turns her head to look at the mare, somewhat transfixed by her appearance. She has never yet seen a horse with such markings as this one. She listens as the older horse apologizes for almost walking straight into her and subsequently asks for her name.

Politeness. That was one of the lessons that her mother had taught her while she was still here. The brown-dressed girl stands up on her long, thin legs and smiles a little bit sheepishly. "It's alright," she says brightly. "Pleased to meet you, miss. My name is Degas." Her brown eyes look over the mare once again, still curious. "What brings you to this place?" It is a silly question with a likely obvious answer, but the poor girl isn't yet very proficient in conversation starters.
    degas
    immortal child

Trying to figure out what POV I'm most comfortable writing in. It has been foreverrrrr.

Here it comes with no warning; capsize, i'm first in the water
    Lucrezia takes a step back, realizing she was closer to the filly than she had anticipated to be. She allowed the filly to have her own space. It was out of her own ingrained manner of politeness to not end up in the space of another. Strangers were one thing compared to close friends and family members when it came to space.

She smiles when the girl replies back brightly and with a smile on her lips. “It’s nice to meet you as well, Degas.” Lucrezia was already admiring the filly’s warm nature and mannerism. She cannot help but wonder what a sweet filly like her was doing here. However, she knows everyone has their own story. Sometimes the story is already chosen for them the very day they are born. The world could be wicked and unforgiving that way; however, it only mattered how you were able to turn it around. It was always possible to change a bad day into a good day.

A silly question it might have sound, but truthfully she isn’t quite sure why she came here. It simply had been her absentminded thinking and relying on her hooves to take her places. Lucrezia laughs softly before she even speaks. “I’m not even sure why I came here,” a smile brightens her eyes a little more than before, “I was just distracted with my thinking.” So far she had not mind where her absentminded thinking had gotten her today.

“What about you, Degas?” She asks curiously. Even the youngest of horses had their own reasons and stories. Lucrezia was always all ears for a stranger, even the youngest ones too. Perhaps it was motherly instinct even if it has been a while since she carried a child in her womb. Once a mother always a mother, she would say.
    ...too close to the bottom.
    html © samshine| character info: here | picture reference: here
    Profile | Detailed Bio | Character Reference
    hold me in this wild, wild world
    'cause in your warmth I forget how cold it can be
    Every so often, he finds himself here. It’s not that he doesn’t have enough descendants of his own running around that he ends up looking after (because he does tend to accumulate them), but simply that he can’t stand the idea of any child going homeless. He was homeless, once. A child abandoned not even in the relative safety of the Den, but on the sands of the Beach; and no matter how old he gets, Brennen does not forget those first few weeks of his life. If he could have chosen one place to have disappeared when Beqanna changed, it would have been the Beach.

Instead, it was everything he held dear. His Tundra was gone, and his second home in the Dazzling Waterfalls. But he has made a life for himself in Nerine, finding home in a place he would have sworn would have been too much like the Beach, and now there is another opportunity. Another reason for him to be here, winging silently over the Den. When Amet had first come to him with the gift of the Lake, the request for his presence and his aid, Brennen’s heart had leaped at the thought of reestablishing his beloved Brotherhood; but as he lifted his eyes to his youngest daughter running in the surf with the sons of Queens, Brennen had made a different decision.

The Brotherhood was home when nothing else was, but perhaps it is better if it is nothing more now than a legend. If they cannot be great again – and the odds are not in their favor – Brennen will choose to leave a legacy in a different way. He can teach and guide and protect those who will be the future, and that will make him just as happy. It is what he has already done for many years, it will just make it official.

Soon after landing, he catches the sweet sound of voices, and meanders in their direction, a half-smile putting light in his eyes when he catches sight of them. The filly is not too young to be on her own, but she is certainly young; and she looks up at a light-colored mare who is also a stranger to him. But he has never been shy, so he comes a polite distance from them and waits for a pause in the conversation before speaking. “Hello,” he nods to the filly first, then the mare. “I’m Brennen, of Nerine and more recently the Lake.” And then he pauses, interested to hear the filly’s reply to the mare’s question. And wondering, always wondering, if he might convince her to come to the Lake instead of wherever the light-colored mare hails from. The other young people who have already begun to gather will need company.
    hold me in this wild, wild world
    and in your heat I feel how cold it can get
    BRENNEN

The girl gazes at the older mare intently and listens to her words. So she had wandered here as she was lost in thought. Degas thinks that this isn't quite typical of those who come here. And there it is, the question turns around and is directed back towards the younger in genuine curiosity. She starts to speak when another approaches, a stallion darker in color than Lucrezia. He introduces himself with a nod and Degas lilts the cornes of her mouth up in a sweet smile.

"I came here hoping to find a home," she answers. Even though the answer is rather obvious, every question deserves answering. She doubts anybody comes to this den to live out their life.

"I guess most foals are here either because their mothers don't want them or they have died." She tilts her head slightly as she thought about her mother again. "Mine was the latter."

She looks from the mare to Brennen and back again. Now there are two, from different places by the polite yet unfamiliar approach of the newer member of the tio. Degas is not very good at making decisions yet, something which she will have to learn. If both of these horses consider bringing her to their home, she doesn't know what she would decide, or even if she is old enough to make such a decision. The prospect of a maternal figure is attractive.

"I know little about this place, and nothing about where you come from," she says rather open-endedly. The girl does prefer a peaceful existence over violence. In fact, she can't imagine why anybody would think differently.
    degas
    immortal child