• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

kylin
    So the boy is...kind of amazing. In a scary, perfect, mine kind of way. Here’s the kicker, though, the extra bonus mind-blowing part. He’s one of two. Me and Lacey, we had twins. Well she had 'em. Did the bit where she carried them and shoved them out her poor, abused body, and fed them and took care of them and kept them from being dead. Like a good mom, yeah?

I just did the fun making them part.

Er. Right. The shitty, went too far and fucked things up making them part. Yeah, that. Whatever, details, she hasn’t complained about my encore performance, okay? I made good. Anyhowww.

Twins, was the point there. Not just one kid to meet, but a whole second one yet to go. Kharon, that delightful little scamp, told me where I could probably find her. I’m guessing he used those fancy brain powers of his to give her a little nudge or scope out her whereabouts, but who am I to question the kid’s genius? My kid. And the spitting damn image of me, too, as he was quick to point out. “There’s two of us, and we’re beautiful like you.” An ego after my own heart, innocent as it was. True, too. Lavender and white, spotted and gorgeous and looking so much like me it took my breath away. 

Er, or something much manlier, yeah. 
    Whatever, we did good, me an’ Lacey.

Anyhow. Kid suggested somewhere along the shore, not far from the cove I picked out to meet him, actually. My babies love the water like I do, turns out. Which, hell if that doesn’t just make me all kinds of squishy. So I walk to one of her favorite spots, taking Kharon’s advice, and I turn to watch the waves as I wait.

And because I’m shit at waiting for anything ever pretty much, and because the ocean’s so goddamn fun to run around on, I head out, leaping from wave to wave, crest to crest, frolicking on top of the surf like I haven’t since I was a boy playing in Silver Cove. A land that doesn’t exist anymore. A land that shouldn’t exist anymore. 

The world’s better off without the Cove.
    I just hope my kids never have to find out how true that is.
    Bite my shiny metal ass.

He tells her "ooh love".

Kharon had always been more than she was. He was the older one, the taller one, the stronger, more muscular and faster one. They both were gifted with the ability to walk on water, but he had also the ability to soar the sky and communicate with his mind only. She could do neither of those. Kylin didn’t desire to either. How could she be jealous of her twin brother? He was everything to her. And she gladly was his sweet little sister.

Whenever he is not around, it feels like she’s missing something. They had always been together. When they still had been in their dam’s womb, when they had first entered this world, when they discovered their ability to walk on water, even though their mother had warned them to not edge too close to the water. But whenever Kylin was on her own, she was lured towards the lake. She knew Kharon would find her here, even without reaching out in his mind. The water still very much called to her.

This time, however, someone has beat her to it. The surface of the lake wasn’t calm and untouched, but instead wild due to the hooves that danced on it. But it was not Kharon. She knew what her sibling thought of their sire, but she had yet to discover for herself. Though one would have to admit that she had the tendency to agree with her brother, as the sweet little thing she was. Kylin had soon learned that that was good, their dam had seemed to like it. Her pale hooves carry her towards the shore, hazel eyes fixated on the white and purple and metal that danced on top of the lake.

image © brenda del rio photography
    I don’t have to wait long. Even if I did, I’m having too much fun to mind. It’s been a long damn time since I let loose and played on the water, longer than I care to remember. Before everything with Ty, before Lacey. God, has it really been so long? But before I’m even anywhere near tired, I spot a flash of lavender and white on the shoreline. Not too hard to guess, my little scamp was right about where to find his sis. Soooo I ignore the nervous flutter going on in my insides and turn my frolic toward shore. And okay temper it some, so I’m a little less likely to scare the poor girl off.

In fact, by the time I reach her, I’m just walking casually across the water, not even my usual saunter. Almost sedate, for me. She’s standing on the shore, and I stop in front of her, lowering my head to meet her eyes. “Hey there,” I say, stretching a little closer to taken in her scent, to breathe her in. My daughter. She’s a pretty little thing, Kharon was right about that. Some of her mom in the shape of her face, her eyes, the curve of her little ears. Her color though, that's all me. Splashed with soft purple and white, looking just like I would without the iron base.

“You’re Kylin, right? I’m Kerberos. Most people call me Kirby though. I’m not sure why, I mean who would name their kid Kirby? Weird name, if you ask me, but it’s what everyone seems to settle on, so here we are. You can call me that if you like. Or...I mean, if you want to, you can call me Dad. That would be fine by me. I mean, I am. Your dad. Just, I’ll understand if it takes more than that to deserve the title, yeah? Call me what you want. I’d like to get to know you, if that’s okay with you.”
    Bite my shiny metal ass.

He tells her "ooh love".

Her feet carry her closer to the shore, allowing small waves of water to roll over her feet and wet the white of her coronet bands. With every step he gets closer, his form seems to get bigger. Never before had she looked at her side like this. Yes, her eyes had landed on him on several occasions, but never before had they had some father-daughter time. For a moment Kylin longs for her brother’s presence, for his side pressed tightly against hers or his wing that would pull her closer.

But Kharon is not here. It is just her and the metal stallion now standing in front of her. Her gaze meets his. Soon her muzzle touches the velvet of his nose, then the corner of his lips, before she pulls back and stops her exploration. Her nostrils flare a little as she breaths in his scent, one familiar as she had smelled it on her dam before. Kylin nods ever so slightly, confirming that that indeed was the name that Reilly had given her, and her head tilts as she curiously glances up at him.

He rambles on and though she cannot say she dislikes it, it is hard to follow on everything he says. It does, however, fuel some of her enthusiasm. ”Kharon said you are our dad” she says, though he had already told her the same. She’s still smiling, as if everything was okay as long as her brother had told her so. ”He likes you.” Something she needed to discover for herself. Her hazel gaze travels towards the water, watching it pool around her hooves before pulling back again. ”I like walking on the water. Do you like that too?” Innocence and enthusiasm all over her.

She seems like a sweet little thing, my daughter. Soft and gentle, which makes me nervous as hell. The world isn’t nice to soft and gentle things, and turns out I hate the thought of her getting hurt. She brushes her little muzzle against my nose, against the corner of my lips, and hell if it doesn’t coax a smile out of me. I don’t push, don’t cuddle up close and drag her into a hug or anything, even if there’s a hell of a lot of appeal to the thought. Not yet. Waaay too soon for that, when I’m basically a complete stranger. So a couple of quiet little touches will do for now. Someday maybe we’ll have that kind of casual, carefree affection, but for now I can be happy with letting her set the tone.

I’m talking too much. I can see it in her eyes, a look I know damn well. Not glazed over, exactly. She’s listening, she’s paying attention, she cares, but I’ve seen it often enough to recognize the okay too many words, find the important ones and focus on that look even on a face I’m still learning. So I make a conscious effort to take it down a notch. “I like Kharon too. And yeah, I love walking on the water. It’s one of my favorite things. D’you want to come play on the water with me, Kylin?”

I smile at her, a roguish little grin that invites her to come join me, to have a little fun, kick up her heels a little. And then I pick up one of my shiny metal hooves, stomp the water, and make a nice big splash. Careful, of course, to aim at least most of it away from her. Just a little of it heads her way, easy enough to dodge if she’s not in a playful mood. But just in case, I gather myself to scamper backwards out onto the water. Come and get me, kiddo. If she’s up for it, I’ll have a nice playful splash fight with my baby girl. And if not, well, we can always have a nice little meander along the surface of the sea.

It’s still something that’s ours. Something she got from me, something I can share with her that so few others can. And damn, that feels good.
    Bite my shiny metal ass.

He tells her "ooh love".

Soft and gentle she was, vulnerable too. But she had nothing to fear as she had her personal guardian. Only in rare cases like this one she ventured further away from Kharon’s side. And then there was Reilly too and it would surprise her if mother wouldn’t step in to keep her safe. Not that the lavender and white girl was aware of the dangers in the world. All she knew was Ischia, mother, Reilly and Kharon. Now she knew father too.

With a step in his direction Kylin reaches out, letting her muzzle explore his face. From his muzzle towards his nose, then up to his cheek and if he would only lower his head she would be able to reach higher too. He feels different, but that doesn’t scare her, if only it makes her more curious. ”I like him too” she says softly, nodding her head in agreement and also in approval of his claim. For a moment she hesitates. The water thing was something she shared with Kharon, but for father she could make an exception, right?

She does not evade the water droplets that spat in her direction. For a moment her hazel gaze just stares up at him, blinking a few times, before a smile curls up the corners of her lips. Then she starts giggling softly, not forced, but genuine. Kylin moves after him, first hesitant and with calm steps, but it is only seconds later that she trots onto the water. Indeed, on the water, but stomping her hooves as she passes him by.

Kylin does not stop there and instead gallops further onto sea. A big grin curls up her lips and her ears pin forward. She slows a little, only to bend her neck to glance back at his much larger for, trying to see if he was catching up or not.  

It takes a tiny bit of coaxing, really more patience while she stares up at me and thinks it over, but hey, she doesn’t dodge the splash, so that’s promising. And then my girl’s got this cute little smile on her face, and damn but a guy could get used to putting that look on a kid’s face. Happy and carefree and amused, just like a little girl should be. There you go, baby, good job. A soft little giggle and she’s creeping after me out onto the water, and then it’s only a matter of moments before she hits full-on frolic mode. Even splashes me back a bit as she runs on past, the little imp.

So naturally, I give her a little head start and then take off after, chasing her down but not quite catching up, not quite catching her. Not ‘til she turns her head to peek at me and see if I’m keeping up, that is. Then I jump her way and cannonball into the water, sinking below the surface and sending a big ol’ splash her way. Great big horse-shaped tank of iron isn’t exactly super buoyant on its own, but with another leaping motion I can feel the solid surface of water beneath my hooves again, and then I just climb my way on back to the surface, sneaking under her to come up on her other side.

I peek just my muzzle above the surface to get out a quick little “boo,” just to say hey and let her know I’m okay, not so much to spook her, before climbing the rest of the way out to stand on top of the waves once more. Then with a grin, I shake some of the water off myself, getting a little jingle going with my mane as I do so. “Man, Kylin, I love that you guys can do this too. I’ve never had anybody to play on the water with before, it’s fun.”
    Bite my shiny metal ass.

He tells her "ooh love".

She’s not like Kharon. She does not share his abilities, except for the water walking. To her he’s perfect. And she’s just Kylin. Not able to not read minds makes that it takes her a little longer to warm up to Father. But she would be in denial if she would say this was no fun. Euphoria is what she feels as the droplets hit his metallic form and the wide grin tells how much she enjoys her little victory.

Which is soon wiped of her face. Shocked and surprised she stares at the spot where he went into the water. Somehow she had come to a hold, blinking her eyes a bit dumfound. ”Fahter?” her voice unsure and slightly wavering. After all, Kharon almost drowning was still fresh on her mind. The droplets roll down her coat, her left side completely soaked now. Kylin even less expects what happens next.

Her head jerks to the side, eyes wide and she quicksteps side wards on the water, a shriek coming from her lips. Blood rushes in her ears and her heart is beating fast, but the sight of just his head peeking out of the water makes her burst into more giggles. It does not stop as he rains droplets on her. Kylin reaches out to brush her muzzle across the corner of his mouth, gently nipping him. ”You can play with Kharon and me?” she offers with a child’s innocence. After all, they liked playing on the water too. And she knew how much Kharon liked Father.

”Can we play with the waves?” she then asks, her dished head tilting as she turns to look up at him. Hazel eyes warm and twinkling, eager at the thought of jumping over and running away from the waves that stirred the sea’s surface.

She really is a cute little thing. All wide eyes and innocence, excited and happy and sweet. “‘Course I can play with you, kid, isn’t that what dads do? Watch out for you, protect you, take care of you, play with you, pretty sure those are like the top four. And I guess like teach you shit or whatever, but that sounds like it falls under the play with you part mostly, huh?” I grin and give her a quick little nuzzle, brushing my cold iron nose against her cheek, along the curve of her neck.

My daughter, crazy, huh? But no doubt about it. She looks so much like me, her and Kharon both really, and I can’t quite get over that. I just beam on down at her, smiling big enough that it oughta hurt my face really, and it only gets bigger when she asks if we can play with the waves. “Absolutely. And here, you’re a smart kid, I bet you’ll learn a lot just playing with the waves together.” I can do the dad teaching thing already, show her some tricks she might not have picked up on when it comes to the walking on water thing.

I frolic with her, kicking up my heels and having a grand old time playing about on the surface of the ocean with my daughter ‘til she looks like she’s starting to get tired. Then I chase her down, plant a cozy little kiss on her shoulder, and scoop her up onto my back. “‘Cmon, kiddo, let’s get you home. Bet your mom’ll be wondering where you got off to, yeah?”

((Figured we could close this thread, since she’s gotten a good bit older since, and maybe start a new one?))
    Bite my shiny metal ass.

He tells her "ooh love".

If Father said it was a dad’s job to play with his children, who was she to question him? A wide smile lies on her lips and she nods. Kylin reaches out when he pulls back after their nuzzle, a little sad that it’s ending this fast. But the promise to play on the water, together, and even getting to learn some new tricks just from playing with the waves, the smile was back on her face in an instant. Father really was amazing, Kharon had been right all along.

She’s having a blast. Her coat is soaked and not only due to the water. It was quite a work out, jumping over – or trying to – the waves, running with them or trying to not let the waves catch up as she ran in front of it. Kylin does not protest as Father pulls her close and she gladly snuggles into his broad chest, nodding tiredly. But she’s not tired enough to giggle softly as she’s is scooped upon Father’s broad back. ”She’ll probably complain about that.. And that I’m all wet. Again.”