• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

wounds so deep they never show; they never go away. || EVERYONE
    something has been taken from deep inside of me;
    the secret I've kept locked away no one can ever see.

The sun is bright – its unyielding light reaching out with outstretched, spindly fingers, as it reaches the darkest crevices of the land with the unforgiving caress of morning. The air is thick, and stagnant, and rich with the stench of sulfur and rolling, boiling magma, but he is used to it now – it has become every bit as much of him as the terse, sinewy muscle or the tender marrow of his bones that lay just beneath the surface of his dark, but scarred skin.

Inside of him, the flame is burning brightly; it is a tireless ember, flickering inside of him somewhere beneath his heart, which thrums rhythmically against the confinement of its iron cage. He is uncertain of what the meaning is for its steady growth, but where it was once so small it could be ignored or brushed aside, now it burned so fiercely that it was becoming ever-present in his cycling of thoughts. Uncomfortably, he moves the behemoth weight of his body from one side to the other – but it does little to douse the glow.

His dark, searing red eyes peer out across the golden plain – with thick, wavering stalks of vegetation swaying to and fro with the rising breeze (it washes over him, draping over the sheen of his sweat and acting as a small reprieve from the pervasive moisture in the air. Though there is the distant roar of the sea, pounding unforgivingly along the shoreline, and though there is the hem and haw of nearby birds crooning in the sparse, wiry brush that lay scattered across the land, it has become quiet

Too quiet.

Time was steadfast, and inescapable – it waits for no one, and as the tides change, as kingdoms strengthen, and as alliances are made and while enemies are created, Tephra has fallen into a slumber – one that stirs an uneasiness in his bones. Too easily had the other lands, left empty and without direction, been swallowed up by the sea – too easily had their existence been wiped from the surface, drifting away somewhere to the bottom of the ocean. He had watched as the icy, glacial land he had called his own was swept away in a raging fury once before.

He would not stand by to wait for it to happen again.

And with that, the too-still air is interrupted by a loud, bellowing call from the depths of his vocal cords, echoing across the tepid terrain, as his thick and muscled legs carry him to a nearby crest, where his stark figure settles, perched and waiting for the presence of others. In time, they come, filtering one by one, and his dark and steady gaze moves seamlessly to each one with a solemn nod of acknowledgement. Many he had once served before (and as such, had come to know in friendship), and others had come after his time, but all equally important in deciding the fate of Tephra. 

He held no contempt for Lucrezia - she was vivacious, charismatic, and kind, but too absent in an ever-changing world. Time would wait for no one.

The fire is fierce, surging inside of him, but he attempts to quell it for the moment.

”Brothers and sisters,” he says, but his rumbling voice is rough around the edges, shaking away the restless evening from his throat. ”for those of you who do not know, my name is Offspring. Years ago, the lands were taken from us – a punishment for our greed, and for our insolence – and with it came the birth of new lands, including the one you stand upon now. I pleaded with the fae, alongside Magnus, for a refuge and sanctuary for our loved ones and for our companions, and it was granted to us.”

He pauses then, casting a glance towards the volcano, where it rumbles idly beneath a thick, low-lying haze.

”And now, the sea has swallowed another; Pangea. We have come too far – we have done too much to let Tephra fall into stillness and be taken from us too, and as the other kingdoms become stronger, we have become weaker. The tide is changing, and with it, we must change too. Let me act as a guide, as we move towards new strength, new security, and new stability – let me serve you as your King once more, and let us revive Tephra – let us protect our own.”
    wounds so deep they never show; they never go away.
    like moving pictures in my head, for years and years they've played.
    Offspring

Hi everyone! Big Grin

Permission granted from Kortnee for Offspring to attempt an overthrow of leadership.
    You can vote to keep Lucrezia as Queen/leader, or vote to instate Offspring as King/leader.
    You can also abstain from voting.
    Feel free to reply!
    Heart
    Jords ears perked hear a very familiar voice... Offspring. Is it time? she asked herself before her pistons rushed to a gallop to get to her friend, one of the first in BQ. It wasn't long before she made her way to him, her skull lifted so her orbs could see him clearly. Her aids picked up every word, she could feel the fire in his vocals... it was time. "Offspring, as my dearest friend, I would be more than honored to stand strongly by your side as we can not let our newest home crumble to the ocean.. or whatever way this world may think up!"[\b] Jords vocals were strong yet fluid, her honesty and pure drive could be heard. [b] You 100% have my vote and with no doubt in my mind will you become the King of both ice and fire my friend." She spoke before him, her orbs almost looking at him lovingly before she closed them and lowered her skull to the earth to show him her loyalty. She lifted her skull slowly as her pistons almost i voluntarily moved her hulking Frisian bodice next to his.
    The blood bay had fallen once more to the outskirts, the time hadn't been right... maybe it was starting over after all the work he had done... maybe he just wasn't in it. Either way, the stallion didn't care the reason, not really. Call it a character flaw, but he just was over the endless self-searching for the fundamental reason why a certain thing had happened. But he had returned recently to find Lu gone, most everyone gone. he had waited for someone, but there had been none. He didn't trust himself to lead not with his recent swaying. But he had been vigil of the lands in the absence of Lu, he kept quiet, but he was there, her silent guardian.

When Offy appeared his interest was indeed peaked. It had been some times since he had made his way from the same shadows Nymph had taken to. They hadn't seen eachother since the beach...since they lost Killdare. But seeing him here meant surely they noticed the same things. Afterall, they had similar foundataional principles that guided them. It is what made the Valley-Chamber- Tundra alliance so strong. When Offy stopped and spoke, Nymph knew there was no contest for his vote. Lu was a fine leader, but she was not Offspring, their history was nothing compared to that of the alliance, and the work they had done to build Tephra together.

When the dark stallion finished, Nymph had closed the distance between them and stood by his side. a simple nod in hello before he raised his own voice. "While many of you don't know me, I was also there with Offspring as the original founders worked to gain these lands. And I know he will be steady and true in his leadership. I stand with Offspring. His experience and wisdom will surely guide Tephra back to glory."

He looked out in search for others who would come, surely this would awake their slumber, change and drama always did. Time passed, and Beqanna changed, but not this. No they would come.... it was just a matter of how quickly.
    [Image: nymphetamine_zpsmlx48otf.gif]
    Just as a stillness settles over Tephra, Warrick was finding a stillness settling over himself. It’s a silence that is profound and troubling, bringing uneasiness in his stomach that does not rest, but groans achingly with turbulence. It is unwanted by him and he tries to overcome the feeling, but the path is too steep and his legs too weak. He feels himself slipping, spiraling downward into an abyss that he had worked so hard to crawl out of. He remains in the shadows, lonely and desolate in the tepid, damp cave that he had found. Not even moonlight could trickle in, his eyesight obscured with mist that steams from the underground rivers of magma and water. The mugginess of his cave leaves him feeling sticky and hot almost constantly, dripping with a mixture of steam and sweat as it runs in rivulets down his body.

He’s reliving his worst nightmare, a constant tremor of fear and doubt plaguing his mind. Once again he has been left to his own devices, to brave his darkness alone.

Suddenly there was noise that was out of place. Above the accustomed sound of water hissing as it drips into lava, Warrick hears a voice. His ears prick forward instantly from beneath his damp mane and he lifts his chin, for the first time in a long few weeks becoming engaged and interested. He quietly begins to move to the mouth of the cave, his hooves clicking loudly on the smooth, wet surface of cold stone. It was early morning and a fine mist shrouds Tephra in a cloudy haze. The bay stallion snorts sharply, his breath leaving him in a swirl of vapor. He blinks back the sunlight as it attempts to brush him with warm fingers, though it the air was too sultry and hot to begin drying the wet tendrils of his mane and forelock that plaster against the musculature of his neck.

His navy legs bring him out of the dark cave, moving forward at a lope towards the source of the call. Warrick comes towards the black stallion just as he begins to speak, lingering distantly as he was unsure if he wanted to join the crowd. A few horses have already begun to arrive before him, listening intently to the one who spoke. His blue eyes rest inquisitively on each as they arrived, dismayed at the fact that there were still so many that he did not know. His ears fall back slightly as his eyes return to the stallion.

To his surprise, a large part of him did not care. He had watched Magnus hand the crown to Lucrezia, and then watched as her presence waned. He wonders to himself if this is how leadership works, or if the stallion was here to prove its true intention. Warrick’s mind is plagued too much with dismal thoughts to be sure if he is for or against this stallion’s suggestions.

“Offspring,” he says respectfully, his voice frigid and tense (anyone who knew him would know this was out of character) as he addresses the black, scarred stallion. “I’ve promised to do my duty to Tephra and protect its sanctuary at all costs and during all times. That much has not changed.” A pause. But so much else has. “You have led once before, and if those who know you well are in favor, it is my duty to serve you.”
    like the sun,
    swallowed up by the earth
    warrick
    Lucrezia is stepping down. I don't have time to get a post up. But thank you all for giving her a chance. Life just happened in the wrong time with busy school and my sister's wedding and her trying to rule xD

Heart
    currently playing
    Astrophel | Divest | Falter

The sun may have been rising on a peaceful morning in the Tephra, but every nerve in Thanata's body was on edge. The mare could feel it; there was a change brewing in the kingdom. She did not know what exactly it was yet, but she could definitely feel it. She didn't like the silence hanging in the air; heavy, like the blanket of winter that had gripped the land several moons ago. She tried to busy herself with munching on the meadow grass, but it did little to alleviate her boredom. Her muscles tingled, her nerves on fire. What was going to happen?

A call answered that one. Recognizing it as Offspring's, Thanata's head went up, wondering if this was what she sensed. She hurried in the direction of his call, arriving at the meeting place near the spring and volcano at the heart of Tephra's territory. The stallion who had called was standing atop a crest, his proud, dark-coated form rising above the other residents.

Thanata couldn't help but feel intimidated in his presence. That, and a bit weak in the knees. Since meeting him, she'd held nothing but respect for the powerful stallion, along with something fillies and colts felt for each other when they were nothing but foals. She tried to focus her attention on anything else, like the other residents arriving, before Offspring spoke above every horse.

He went on about how he, Magnus, and another had pleaded with Beqanna to grant a land to Tephra's residents, how they had it now. And how, with Pangea gone and the tides of the land changing, he wished to step up and lead them once again.

Thanata had respected Lucrezia and how she led the kingdom, but she knew that Offspring was also a capable leader. He had helped her adjust to the Tundra, had proven to be a loyal friend a good king. And she would not discount her opinion now.

"I have never doubted your capabilities Offspring. While I respect Lucrezia as an individual, a leader, and a queen, I know you have your own capabilities to lead us as well. Once again, it will be an honor to follow you to help Tephra stay strong."
    i'm not going to change, so stay out of my way.
    i don't need you to understand that i'm already saved.
      She has been quiet, herself –

The sun has lured her out of her own reverie, as her pale hazel eyes search the hazy horizon for the familiar, looming shadow of the rumbling volcano. It is as broad as it is tall, and its prowess is not lost on her – it is often so solemn, and so motionless, with only a flicker of its capacity for danger shown in its oozing magma, or the deep, reverberating quiver of the ground itself. It is not unlike her.

Gently, the length of her broad, alabaster wings unfurls from her sides, stretching out from one end to the next as the hollow bones flex to shake the fatigue of another restless night. She had kept away, tucked away within the darkest shadows of the thickest forest, with little else but the distant sound of a crooning bird to lure her out of her own mind. Time had eventually worn her tired, broken heart down, pressing its unforgiving needle and thread to carefully mend what had become damaged and cracked – and it was time alone that had stirred a longing for what she had left behind.

She had left suddenly, after a soft but fervid kiss pressed where one should not have been pressed – Warrick was a broken, vulnerable thing – a beautiful, albeit melancholy soul. She had divulged to him her heartache, and in turn, he had done the same (though she longed to recreate the moment; she loathed how self-absorbed she had been – she should have asked more – she should have listened closer). Yet, wrought with emotion, and comforted by his touch, she had permitted herself to be too close to him, and he deserved so much more than the fragmented, irreparable pieces of her that were left.

She is stirred yet again from her memory (the touch of his lips on her cheek, or the sadness of his dark, gleaming eyes) by a distant call. Perplexed, and mildly agitated, she soon tucks her feathered appendages against her sides once more, allowing her long, languid legs to carry to her the source of the sound. Upon approaching the top of another crest, her darkening gaze settles on a stark figure of coiled muscle and coal, standing before several familiar faces. She recognized him with ease – she knew of him as the once-King of the ice; she knew of him as an ally of Magnus and as such, she is intrigued.

Quietly, and seamlessly, she immerses herself among the small gathering (although, she is vivid and bright in comparison to the many darker figures surrounding her), listening carefully to his steadily spoken words. Her hazel gaze searches those who have come, noting the absence of Dahmer, though altogether unsurprised. He pined for Lucrezia, and would follow to wherever she would go – but Ellyse would not; her commitment was to Magnus and to the volcanic island.

And then, Warrick – his eyes are weary, and his voice terse, and hollow – nothing of the Warrick she had come to know. She stifles the emotion welling up inside of her (foolish girl, leave him be!), turning her cheek to settle her attention instead on Offspring.

”My commitment is to Tephra. Magnus trusted you, and thus, I will serve as needed, until such a time that I deem my services are no longer necessary.”
    Ellyse

Posting to yourself is no fun. :|
    Ellyse would obv. be abstaining from a vote.
    But I felt it'd be kind of dumb if the Head of War didn't reply.
    … curiosity killed the cat &
    satisfaction brought him back
    The black beast has seen less and less of Lucrezia since the beginning of her pregnancy. At first, Dahmer had felt betrayed, as if she were hiding herself away from Tephra.

From him.

He had spent days in his favorite copse of trees, hidden by the base of the volcano in the shade of the tropical tree boughs. He had waited for the peafowl mare to find him, had waited for her to explain her absence from them, and his heart had ached the longer it took for her to stop by and visit. When the mild winter in Tephra had turned to a hazy spring, the stallion couldn't find it in him to feel betrayed anymore.

In fact, the thoroughbred didn't feel much of anything. She is a grown mare, he had told himself, and pushed the thoughts to the side.

He knew, though, that there would be vultures, waiting for the new Queen of Tephra to falter or slip. He had seen it countless times on Azza, and if the ebon stallion had any fire left in him to rule a territory, perhaps he would have discussed with his friend to take over the throne of their beloved land, but Dahmer has no interest in politics anymore.

So when spring finally disappeared into a humid sulfur-tinged summer, the blue-eyed councilman is anything but surprised to hear the call of an unfamiliar stallion in their midst. The sleek thoroughbred is angry as he moves from the depths of his hiding place, his ears flat against a tousled mane, but the anger is not for the stallion who has imposed his presence on the volcano herd.

His gait is quick and urgent as he moves across Tephra, careful to avoid streams of plasma even in his anger. Dahmer's bright blue eyes find the growing congregation, led by a commanding black stallion who has just finished his piece. The thoroughbred halts a few yards behind the group, his muscles taut and his ears still hidden at his poll. He hopes that his presence is not noticed by the residents of Tephra, those who are preparing to voice their votes, so that maybe he will not sway their choice. He wants to know who will side against their peafowl Queen.

It's Jord who speaks first, taking her place beside Offspring. Dahmer's harsh gaze finds her eyes and he clenches his jaw tightly. There are a variety of others who speak, all pledging allegiance to the new King.

Finally, Ellyse is the last to speak, and Dahmer's heart squeezes unhappily. He takes a shaky breath but reminds himself that she, above all others, is loyal to her responsibilities, and so he would expect nothing else of the champagne mare. His blue eyes watch her momentarily, full of a mixture of sadness and understanding, before he finally moves forward again and through the throng.

He gives a terse nod to Offspring, an indication that he will cause no trouble at the beginning of this new reign, before stepping directly in front of Jord and spitting on the ground at her hooves. His angry blue eyes stare unblinking into hers for a moment before he shoves by her shoulder and continues leisurely from Tephra, on the hunt for Lucrezia, so that he may give her a piece of his mind.

A leader should never abandon their post.
    break some bread for all my sins
    BY MITZI
    Kimber
    love bites, but so do I
    She isn't sure if it's a curse or a blessing that she tends to reappear from the thicket as the crown passes, at least this time it's a familiar scent on the wind of this new land. So far she had not lain eyes on the blood bay and as stubborn as the dip-dye mare was, she would hang around until he appeared. The only mystery would be if she stuck around to rebuild their life before or slink from the shadows. Her life had been a tumultuous one, mostly caused by her inability to express herself.

She's new here, so she doesn't rush - she's still taking it all in but she spots Nymph before she ever had the chance to notice Offspring or any of the others. Was that a gallop in her chest? She would chalk it up to a normal aging process (immortality doesn't work like that, Kimber). She blew, loudly as she finally reached the area - just in time to watch the drama unfold with the black stallion ahead of her. "Nymph," her eyes narrow in, a small nod given although her adrenaline is racing she still can't be forced to draw a smile from her lips. "Hey you," she throws her black forelock away from her mismatched eyes and stares at Dahmer, "should we make room here for you to throw yourself on the ground for a tantrum, too?" It's followed by a crass smile; all in good intention of course - the dip dyed mare wasn't here to stir trouble either.

Not yet, anyhow.

Although she had not spent notable amounts of time with the large stallion, she knew Offspring had taken a young colt under his proverbial wings and was friends with Killdare...that was enough for her. She gives a small nod towards Warrick, who had greeted her in the early morning only hours ago. "Offspring, you may not remember me and for those who don't - I'm Kimber, I support Offspring's claim and will protect it," the words leave her lips before she even had time to think on them, bewildered she stands for a few moments. So this is the beginning of something new, perhaps something better. Once Kimber dedicates herself, she is loyal to a fault. Welcome home, Kimber. I apologize, Tephra.
    My heart saw the things my eyes couldn't see
    Oh dear oh dear oh dear. He is quite late. But then, when isn’t he late? This is Fox we are speaking of after all. The young red and white stallion is boisterous and gregarious, hardly able to stay in one place for too long. So it should come as no surprise that he arrives at the gathering after virtually everyone else.

His long strides carry him easily through his steamy home, his frame filling in, finally catching up to the youthful gangliness of his limbs. His lean features have lost the softness of childhood, hardening and refining into a handsome dark red accented by a bold strip of white. His eyes however, warm and amber, are as merry and carefree as ever. All of his still raucous youth shows in their clear depths as he bounds up to the rather large group of horses already assembled around the dark stallion that had called the meeting.

He recognizes most of them, but one or two here and there are strangers to him. Not for long though. Not for long. Anyone who knows Fox also knows they can’t remain strangers for any true length of time.

“Oh, I am sorry to come bursting in like this. Please continue.”

The next few minutes are enough to inform him that Offspring (he knows of him, of course, though he’s never had the pleasure of meeting him before. He’d certainly like to get to know him though. He seems like an interesting fellow) has stepped forward and would like to claim the right to lead Tephra. Contrary to his nature, he remains silent and allows others to speak first, gathering what he can about the man. And though the urge to speak fairly vibrates through him, he manages to hold it in until nearly all have given their favorable approval of the man. “Well, I have to say, any man spoken so highly have has my vote. Though I will be sorry to see Lucrezia go, change is good! Tephra needs some new life. I mean, I do what I can but I am only one man. And it would be so good to see some new faces. So many interesting things to be learned, I’m sure. And well, you know I’ll do what I can. Visit some other places and what have you. It’ll be fun, especially if I have some news to impart!”

As though realizing just how much he had been speaking, he abruptly cuts himself off, offering the group a wide, contagious grin as he does so. “So sorry, I seem to be rambling. I suppose you probably have a few things you want to add. Don’t mind me, please do carry on.”
    Fox

Ha! He's a nut :|