• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  Let's Have A Chat [Wolfbane]
    If there was one thing in life Aten was not looking forward to under any circumstances, this definitely took the cake. He was still fuming over this whole situation, even if he didn't show it in front of others. And now Wolfbane was expecting him to adhere to his request so soon after such a humuliating experience?

The only reason Aten was getting it over with now was so that he could put distance between himself and the stallion, and focus on his upcoming journey with Lethia. Wolfbane had said at the kingdom meeting that he and Lepis had a plan to send out residents to other kingdoms of their choice and inform them of the change in leadership. Aten willingly volunteered just so he could get away from the mess that was his life, and just be with his friend so he could actually talk to someone without wanting to scream in their face.

It seems that their journey would be put on hold though, at least for a short while. Izora was currently expecting a foal by a stallion that no one in the kingdom appeared to be familiar with, not that Aten was all that eager to find out. It was not his business; if Lethia wished to tell him, he would accept whatever it was she had to share. His only angered feeling would be toward the stallion should he choose to not involve himself in the raising of his foal. He would miss out on such an opportunity, being with an incredible mare and foal like Lethia and her little one.

She was also the one thing Aten would give anything to protect, hence why he had stepped down from his leadership for Wolfbane to take over. He would not risk getting kicked out of Taiga for something so trivial as a title, even if he felt immense guilt over losing the responsibility. But he had promised he would be there for his friend as much as he knew that he and Turul had each other's backs. They may not have been together for a year yet, but the two understood each other on a level that not many animals of species, different or similar, could.

Lethia... her foal... Turul... they were Aten's family, one that he was going to give up everything to fight for.

Aten decided to meet Wolfbane in a more secluded place today, to avoid interruptions. He doubted Lepis or Lethia would bother them; adults understood. It was more so that Wolfbane's myriad of foals wouldn't bother them, interrupt an important conversation.

The golden stallion settled in by a small shallow lake nestled within Taiga's heartland, only about an hour's walk from the main grazing meadow. When he reached his destination, he locked the muscles in three of his legs and relaxed the fourth, patiently awaiting Wolfbane's not entirely wanted arrival.

@[Wolfbane]

ALL THE DOUBT YOU'RE STANDING IN BETWEEN

They’d lasted the long winter, seen the spring come and now summer was shining glorious on Taiga’s evergreen woods. It was time.

Time for Wolfbane and Aten to bury the hatchet between them in favor of a brighter future. Bane strolled eagerly through the hazy forest, admiring the stray beams of soft light that made it through a thick canopy of trees. Down here on the ground it seemed quiet and pleasantly warm. Not hot like it could get further south, in Loess. Just warm and silent. Everything was haloed in dim golden light which made this land seem all the more magical.

Wolfbane sighed deeply and took a brief moment to enjoy it as he made his way towards Aten.

Today he didn’t wear the pair of wings he’d become so noticeable for. They were gone, leaving his backside completely bare and exposing the striking blue stripes that marked him all over. Even in the dingy atmosphere of Taiga, the blue slashes of color still managed to sparkle as Bane went along. The stark white of his tail and upright mane seemed all the more white because of it. He was strapping and light footed, calm despite the way his nose quivered and his ears flicking constantly.

His quietness these last few seasons had been necessary. He needed practice time to push his new magic further, and time to cater to his wife and new daughter. But when he spied Aten through the sentry trunks of the massive redwoods, Bane knew that quiet backseat approach would have to disappear.

“Aten, thanks for making some time for me.” The warmonger stallion began, entering the clearing with a brief smile. “I want to hear the history of this place. How you ended up living here, more information about Ruan and the previous leader - a mare, correct? I’m not familiar with her name.” Wolfbane admitted as he settled in.

“Is Turul around?” Bane grinned at the golden stag, more than expecting the bird to pop up at any moment.

WITH WOUNDS THAT NO ONE ELSE HAS SEEN

WOLFBANE

@[Aten] i season jumped to try and catch up with game time!! Sorry for the insane wait <3
    [Image: Wolfbane2.png][Image: 3bCHvj.png]
    Aten did not wait long in solitude for Wolfbane to arrive. The stallions had agreed on a time, and if Wolfbane wanted the knowledge Aten possessed, he needed to hold up his end of the deal. The golden stallion heard the other coming before he physically appeared; he knew the sounds of the forest. A presence like Wolfbane's was still too foreign; those who were well trained in the ways of the redwoods could tell when something didn't belong.

Aten noticed that Wolfbane lacked the wings he'd seen when he first met the stallion and Lepis some seasons ago. Perhaps he had the ability to hide them? Wolfbane greeted Aten with a small smile and and thanks for the golden stallion donating his time. Aten gave a short dip of his chin to acknowledge Wolfbane's words, expressing that he did not mind meeting.

Of course, it was a different matter when asked who he was meeting with. Then Aten would have other choice words.

He waited for Wolfbane to fire off his myriad of questions before he began, "In regards to Turul, he is not currently by my side. If he is in the area, he has not told me. He does not need to inform me of his whereabouts at all times; he is allowed the freedom a bird of prey like himself craves."

Given that they also shared a mental link, Turul did not need to be in the immediate area to detect if Aten needed help. Only those with the acute senses of a predator would be able to smell that Turul was not too far off in the woods at this current time, though he was preoccupied with hunting down his next meal.

"I will give what info you wish for in the order you requested. In regards to how I ended up living here, it was many seasons ago. I was banished from my sister's herd by the stallion shortly after the Reckoning that altered Beqanna's terrain. I did not know where my dam and siblings ended up, and though I searched, I turned up nothing. Two years after, I wound up in Taiga. I was taken in by Ruan and taught the kingdom's ways, alongside his daughter, Jinju.

"I lived in Taiga for several years as a peacekeeper and protector. One season, there was a terrible fire that slaughtered everything in it's path. So far as I know, every resident managed to escape, though many not without injury I'm certain."

Speaking of this matter caused a twinge of pain to flare in Aten's burn scars. The stallion blew some air out of his nose and shifted one of his front hooves in an effort to distract his mind before he continued on.

"I lived out in the Forest land for a number of years before I returned to Taiga. By that time, it had been rebuilt from nature, and was under the leadership of the mare Lilitha. In regards to their history in connection with Taiga, I know more about Ruan since I knew him longer.

"Ruan was what I call an original; he was one of the first leaders, the first chosen successor after Romek and Maribel took over Taiga's land when the fairies granted their request. He raised a number of orphaned foals to join Taiga's ranks to defend the kingdom in times of trouble since it has always been known as a peaceful, mediated territory. Ruan was willing to help out our allies in times of trouble, but when our efforts were not needed, he had Taiga thrive under the gentle souls of those who lived here.

"He had a desire to shield those he took under his wing, myself included it seems. He enjoyed my company, he often told me, and though I have never said it aloud to this day, I have a strong suspicion that, had he not disappeared and Lilitha had taken over, he would have asked me, just as she did.

"In regards to Lilitha, we had a good friendship, and I hope it has continued. Unfortunately, she did not reveal much of her past, and I did not feel it was my place to ask her for what she did not feel comfortable sharing. My limited knowledge of her is that she ruled Taiga for some time after Ruan's disappearance, and her parents are Offspring and Bly. I have heard of both of them as well, and their daughter has a number of their traits together, good and bad. But I will not speak ill of her."

@[Wolfbane]

Kagerus (once dream Queen of the Eastern Kingdoms) had a companion animal too. Bane remembered her leopard and the way it slithered around her heels, watching everything with fire in its eyes. He doesn’t remember its name, though. Back then it hardly seemed important, since the creature was bonded to Kagerus. Nothing but a wild animal touched by wayward magic. Whatever the two had between them Bane couldn’t guess at; just like he’d never be able to guess at how Aten and Turul’s relationship functioned.

From what Aten told him, it sounded like there was an immense amount of respect between the two. Ideally Aten could force Turul to keep a short leash, but he didn’t. He more or less gave the bird total freedom.
    Because of that, a bit of the stiffness went soft in Wolfbane’s limbs. He relaxed, eager to hear all he could about Taiga.

Turns out Aten had been in these woods for a very long time. “I remember that fire.” Bane interjected when Aten paused to shift around, “I remember hearing of that fire.” He corrected himself. Taiga had been magically closed off from the world at least a year before Wolfbane had been born. Still, the news of what happened here was fresh enough that his generation learned about it.

The colorful stallion took another long, wary look at the lichen-covered roots while listening to Aten continue.

Apparently the Champion ended up right on the doorstep of this territory, waiting until the storm passed to pick up where he left off. His life spanned several of the others who’d ruled, and Wolfbane was impressed at the longevity of the stallion. When he stopped glancing at the redwoods and stared back at the bulky, roaning historian, Bane wondered if there wasn’t a bit more to the horse than Turul. Was Aten immortal as well? He considered.

“Lillitha came to power at the same time I made Loess a Kingdom.” Wolfbane reminisced, a bit forlorn and bittersweet over the history of himself now that Aten had finished. He sighed briefly and smiled towards the calm lake. “I didn’t know her personally, but her father Offspring ruled Tephra once and if it’s a history outside of Loess I should know, it would be Tephra’s.” He chuckled softly. For a moment the still waters swallowed his words and responded with a silver-like quietness, then he  asked, “Did you know I was born there? In Tephra.”

He didn’t expect Aten to answer the rhetorical. It would surprise him if the champagne-gold stallion knew that much about the Commandant, once-King. Unlike other rulers who’d been lined up for the throne like Ruan, Lillitha, even Aten and Lepis, Wolfbane had come from second-stock bloodlines. He’d been a prodigious recruit turned successor, weathering the tides of famine and war. But before he’d taken the title of ‘heir’ of Loess, no one had cared about the pegasus boy from Tephra.

Everyone who had: his family, Wishbone and her parents; they were gone. Either long dead or disappeared.

“Sounds cliche to mention but you and I have more in common than you think, Aten.” The manipulator said, shuffling around for comfort and displacing a few smooth, dark pebbles underhoof. “And it sounds like Ruan’s was a good example to follow. Fostering orphan foals… I would’ve never guessed.” He sounded contemplative. It wasn’t necessarily a straightforward option; seemed more like a long-term investment in the hope that at least a few would stay on and strengthen the herd.

Well, Wolfbane thought as he regarded Aten again, one did stay.

“And you?” The strange stallion with the bristly, upright mane asked,“What did you want for Taiga?” He wondered, quirking his mouth into a tilted grin that explained this would be his last question. Then Aten was free to drill for his own information, if he liked.

WOLFBANE

@[Aten]
    The memory of the fire that day still burned within a dark place inside Aten's mind. His nightmares were not as prevalent as they had been in the early days, but it was enough that, on some nights, he would wake up shaking, and, on occasion, with a scream. He was lucky that Lethia and her foals hadn't had to experience that yet; he didn't want to alarm her.

He had told her some of his history in Taiga, but not how he had barely escaped the fire. The memories haunted him like a ghost, and it was painful enough to think about that time. He didn't know if he was ready to tell another soul more about it.

Add that to the negative feelings it brought forth. That day had marked one of the darkest in Aten's life... the day he'd lost his home, his family, his friends... they were all one in the same in his heart. He would gladly have given his life to defend them. He tried to do so, with Jinju, when she'd been trapped in the fire, but had escaped of her own volition.

Sadly, that would be the last time Aten would see his friend as... something potentially more than a friend. For the next time he did was when that magic had taken hold of her and returned her to her foalhood. Aten looked after her as a brother from that point on, and was glad to do so since he still cared for her.

But the fire... had left more than just physical scars that night...

When Aten had finished sharing his knowledge of Taiga's history, which was only a small part in what he knew of Beqanna's tales, Wolfbane shared some of his own. As Aten had heard, Wolfbane had indeed settled into Loess first, establishing it as a kingdom territory. Apparently, it had also been around the same time Lillitha rose to power, though Wolfbane did not specify if it had been here in Taiga or elsewhere.

Aten wondered how close that portion of their stories were... was Lillitha in charge of another kingdom before this? That would have explained some things.

Wolfbane then asked Aten a question that the golden stallion indeed chose not to answer due to how it was phrased. Aten, despite hearing tales of Wolfbane, had not yet heard of the stallion's birthplace. But he would keep that in the back of his head... perhaps he would have some searching to do, when he next ventured to the volcano kingdom.

Wolfbane would go on to finish his shorter story with a comment that, despite what both stallions may think, they were alike in a fashion too. And that Ruan had seemed to have a good idea. Aten had a similar one for himself as well, though he wished to expand it to more than just orphan foals. He wished to provide a safe haven for mares who wanted to get out of difficult situations, not just to offer them a place with a new stallion who could protect them and wouldn't force them to mate.

No. Aten would not follow his sire in that fashion. He would offer the secret glens he knew of here in Taiga to the mare herd to keep them safe, protected, until they were ready to make their next decision about life. Of them, he would ask no more.

Wolfbane asked Aten for one more piece of information before the golden stallion would do his own digging. The answer was simple, yet complicated, depending on how detailed and thorough Aten wanted to make his answer.

The golden stallion's eyes glassed over for a moment as he thought about his answer, and then took a breath as he began.

"I honestly did not wish to lead at first; I merely wished to protect Taiga's land and those who lived there. But when Lillitha offered me the throne, I saw it as an opportunity to achieve my dream and expand upon it as well. I could be here, watch over Taiga and her residents to keep them safe, and, like Ruan and Lillitha before me, I would offer help to her allies whenever she needed it.

"But this kingdom, while not neutral to a degree, would be a safe haven, for those who only wish to live in peace and not get caught up in kingdom politics and war. I had planned to have diplomats and protectors here, but merely for our own kingdom's benefits above all. The protectors would help defend Taiga's land, and the diplomats would conserve efforts of fighting so there would be no war in the hopes that the protectors wouldn't be needed.

"At least... that is what I had planned to do. I am not sure how much of that I can achieve in my current... status," he ground out, trying his hardest now to not speak of either Wolfbane or Lepis in a harsh manner. He was at least trying to act civil, a huge improvement from when this all started several moons ago.

"If you wish to know more, I will do what I can to answer you. But I have questions of my own, one of them being, what is the real reason you and Lepis came for Taiga's throne? I understood only what little you told me, but it can't be as simple as that. Every other leader I've met that journeyed to another land to throw out it's leader at the time only wished to do so for power and control. That never ended well.

"And though I have heard your name, there is not many in the common lands who seem to know a lot about your true history, let alone Lepis'. It makes me wonder what you are willing to share after I informed you of my connection to the forest."

@[Wolfbane]

Slowly, Wolfbane is beginning to understand the gap between himself and Aten. During the course of their discussion it’s become clear that Aten had stayed here in Taiga during the time when this place was barely inhabitable at all. The redwoods, infamous for their captivating mystery and subtle beauty, weathered harsh magic and had taken their time regrowing. The Taiga before Wolfbane’s birth had been a Kingdom - which could explain his Champion’s constant use of the word - but the Taiga of Wolfbane’s childhood had been a no-man's land like the River and Meadow.

These trails had been home to raw silence and the occasional adventurer during the years he’d been starting out in Loess. Taiga and her secrets remained untouched; pristine while Leviathans roamed the north and Krakens in the west. A good age; Bane reminisced to himself, settling in to hear Aten’s reply. A golden era before the plague.

“I see.” He answered flatly, no stranger to his companion’s feelings. The smile on his mouth from before drooped and fell. “Well you’ve been very forthcoming, Aten.” Wolfbane admitted. Not exactly the brotherhood-in-steel he’d hoped for, but their past encounters made this one seem almost friendly. “I’m pleased that your only desire is to live in peace with the ones you love. And-” He paused, “-I have nothing to hide about my reasons for being here or my history. Neither does Lepis, for that matter.”

Aten made them sound like murderous snakes, even though he’d asked similar questions before about why Bane and his wife had decided to infiltrate the northern territory. Every possible turn was met with a wall in these lands, no matter where Wolfbane looked. “We came to revive ourselves and the forest. I mainly came because Lepis asked me to.” He shrugged quickly. “If you still don’t believe me, ask her - I never wanted to lead this place. Actually,” Bane laughed roughly, “you’re a higher rank than I am right now.”

The most Wolfbane had claim to was consort, and the idea twisted into his playboy grin. He’d have to tell Lepis that later.

“And you might as well listen to her history at the same time, since I’m not the type to tell another mare’s story.” The Commandant moved around, readjusting his legs. If the tone of Bane’s voice came off slightly harsh, it was only because he expected Aten to understand: a horse’s privacy was their own. “However, I'll tell you one thing: I took Loess from Lepis before we had children together. Right from under her nose.” He laughed. The corners of his eyes and mouth crept up in happiness.

His winged mate would probably tell it a bit differently, but the Kingdom had been handed down to her while she was still a foal and then, through a series of lucky mishaps, eventually all of Loess was left to Wolfbane to do with as he pleased. “Back then it was only Lepis, my mentor named Arthas, and myself. Loess had been quiet for a very long time…” He recalled. “Now look at her.” He grinned again, teeth flashing, "She won’t shut up.”

Whatever tension he might’ve brought along left, and Bane sighed to catch his breath. He could talk about those years for hours if Aten let him. Considering it better just to keep things condensed, Bane continued, “It really all depends on what you want to know about me. I’ve been called lots of great things: a Pirate Lord, Ward of Loess, King of the Southern Region, Commandant of Taiga.” He looked sideways, “And I’ve been called terrible things: a Villian, Sellsword, Traitor, and most recently a Usurper.” He murmured.

“Take your pick; I’ll tell you anything you want to know.”

WOLFBANE

@[Aten]
    Aten felt somewhat prided by Wolfbane's sincerity, but such a comment came from the golden stallion's actions himself. Wolfbane stated he had no reason to hide his purpose for being here, or his history, and the same went for the Queen. Aten made a note of that; he would question Lepis later, see what secrets she was willing to share.

He would go on to share a vague description, but Aten paid that no mind. Until Wolfbane trusted him more, and perhaps that needed to be reciprocated, he would not push for anything other than what he was being given. Wolfbane's comment about his own ranking in the kingdom made him laugh, but Aten only gave a small chuckle through a rumble in his chest.

He explained how he'd gained control of Loess, naming one other horse besides Wolfbane himself and Lepis. Arthas... the name sounded vaguely familiar to Aten. Perhaps he had met him long ago, in passing or more personally. That nagging thought remained in his mind as Wolfbane continued based on what Aten had said.

Even with all the names Aten gave, he could condense what he wanted to know into one simple question. "You seem to have had a variety of aliases in the past. If there is anything I would like to know, it's... what is one thing that led you to be called not only the titles a kingdom Lord would receive, but also such names like a Traitor and a Villain?" Aten had wanted to say Usurper, but realized it was through his own words and actions that Wolfbane had most likely given himself this label.

"What had caused others out there to place you on both sides of the same rock?"

@[Wolfbane]

Aten chuckles and for a moment Wolfbane is taken back in time. He suddenly remembers the friendship in Vulgaris that’s been lost recently, how his old comrades hissing laughter could make Wolfbane feel so sure of himself. Now there was a chasm of silence between himself and the rest of Beqanna. When was the last time I flew? The pegasus wondered, coming down from his lofty thoughts to hear Aten’s question.

He would make a joke about that being more than one thing to ask, but he’s learning not to be so asinine these days. For his own health and others, truly. The two queries were more or less the same anyways.

“I broke the rules.” He muttered flatly. All of the previous humor fled from his eyes; Bane’s mask seemed to suddenly turn a shade or two darker, bordering near black. “I sold my follower’s power and magic in exchange for alliances, other kingdoms recruiting for me, and a blood tie to Sylva that still remains today.”

The tint of hazel in his eyes melted to red. His stripes faded to the same blue-black as his mask and in an instant the familiar gold color of his palomino coat bled out, staining his fur with a slick, crimson color. Wolfbane donned a new coat as easily as one might chew a blade of grass, or flick an ear.

“And then I kept breaking the rules.” He continued on, seeing no reason to stop now that they’d begun. “I fell in love with Lepis: already married, a royal, and far above my station. For her I banished the same stallion who’d mentored me like a father.” And he’d do much, much worse to keep her love. “The most wicked of all are the things I’ve done to keep myself ahead of this never-ending game.” Wolfbane rumbled.

His eyes blinked shut for the first time, making the sudden movement seem alien on his otherwise equine face. To Aten he smiled: the harsh colors on his coat faded back to their signature gold-and-iridescent blue. “But I tend to think my virtues outshine my vices. Or else I doubt anyone at all would like me.” The Pegasus laughed. “Point is: I’ve made hard decisions that cost me greatly, and knowing what I know still wouldn’t make me change the past.”

It felt like an appropriate time to break the conversation for a quick stretch. Wolfbane shook out his short, thick neck until his bristly mane waved back-and-forth. He flexed both wings by flicking them and re-tucked them by his sides, inhaling deeply to straighten out his spine. “Hope that answers your question.” The Commandant breathed, “Anything else on your mind?”

WOLFBANE

@[Aten]
    Aten was certainly not expecting any of the information that Wolfbane laid out for him to understand, but the golden stallion quietly listened, his face calm and passive, his eyes not showing any signs of judgment. He was content to just hear what information Wolfbane had to offer, for he better wanted to understand the stallion in the hopes that perhaps, one day, they could reach truly neutral ground with each other.

The golden stallion would always harbor that resentment, deep in his heart, but not from his hatred towards Wolfbane and Lepis. It was stemming from his own disappointment, his own guilt, at not being able to keep the promise. His mind just had trouble figuring that out at first, which would explain how he had treated Wolfbane and Lepis in the beginning of all this.

Now, he was acting civil enough to talk to them in a nice fashion, to the point that one could almost call them acquaintances, if not in the beginning stages of a tentative friendship.

Wolfbane's eyes darkened as he started to recount some of his history, starting with how he had broken the rules. Selling power and magic for alliances, his blood tie to Sylva, his marriage to Lepis, a mare who was already married and his banishment of the stallion who'd raised him like a son.

Aten was mildly surprised when Wolfbane's coat began to change color, his stripes starting to shift so they mirrored the color of the mask on his face. His palomino coat, a few shades paler than Aten's champagne, bled away to make room for one that was the same color as the blood that raced through their veins, and even his eyes seemed to shift.

He stayed this color until he seemed to calm after sharing his history with Aten. Wolfbane expressed that he knew he'd done wrong things in his past, but knowing he'd done so wouldn't change the decisions he had made. Aten had to admire the stallion for understanding that matter; he'd met many horses who didn't and suffered more for it.

Wolfbane stretched out his wings and asked Aten if there was anything else on the golden stallion's mind. For a moment, silence stretched between them, and then Aten answered.

"I will say... I am, surprised, to know what you have been through. But most of my surprise stems from your understanding, and I respect you for that. We may not know everything about each other, about our pasts, but that should not affect how we deal with things concerning each other now. Lepis has assigned us both an important role, protectors, even if our titles differ. We have a job, a duty, to protect this kingdom, her horses, and those we love. Even if you and I do not always get along, I'd like to know that in times of need, when Taiga needs our help, we can work together to make her a safe place for our loved ones."

@[Wolfbane]

OOC: Apologies for the wait; many things kept me busy.

Right now only small changes occured when Wolfbane lost control over his abilities. Just now he’d gotten a bit too emotional, a bit too heated over the past and how things had ended. He’d lost a smidge of control being concerned and luckily only had a color-change before wrestling the demon down again. No one knew - not Aten, not Lepis, not even Heartfire with her all-seeing eye… no one knew just how many strands of chains he shackled the magic with. He had to, or he felt like it would consume him entirely.

For the moment it was little slips and stumbles, though. He could easily return to normal for the sake of keeping up appearances. Aten’s presence also helped him remain grounded and in one shape. The fact that they seemed to be getting along made the struggle less intense as well. Wolfbane nodded with stark determination and a knowing smile when the falcon-keeper mentioned his wife Lepis and her task for them.

“Couldn’t agree with you more.” Bane mouthed through sparkling blue lips. For the first time since coming here a bit of clarity was beginning to take shape. The real reason for them being here, the entire purpose of Wolfbane’s existence anymore was to serve and protect the ones he loved. “And what you want is exactly what I hope to provide in times of need.” The pegasus confirmed.

Surrounded by the placid calm of a cool lake mist and the quiet chittering of insects, Wolfbane ended their meeting with, “I trust you won’t be afraid to come to me if you need anything in the future, Aten.” He meant it to extend beyond themselves and Taiga, even. Neither he nor Lepis intended to remain forever. When they left, he wanted nothing more than to consider Aten and these woods a friend. “Maybe someday you could even forgive me…” He’d never wanted to defeat the other stallion so mercilessly and at his own doorstep, but “... I would understand if you couldn’t, though.”

This time, he smirked without malice. Coupled with his downturned eyes Bane looked thoughtfully sad. He heaved a breathy gasp of air and spread his wings apart, flaring each individual feather with precise care and a lifetime of experience. At his command they fanned out and rose slowly above his shoulders, white tips pointed heavenward. “Until later, then.” He excused himself, crouching briefly before springing up. Wolfbane slammed his wings down in a gusty swipe and hovered, momentarily, flapping in one, two, three broad strokes that sent ripples waving across the lake surface.

He crept up and then shot off, circling higher before disappearing into the clouds to leave Aten entirely alone again.

WOLFBANE

@[Aten]