• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

saw the fault line; started panicking (Aten)
    Sunlight dances in thick beams all around, the warm yellow light driving through the canopy overhead. Lepis keeps to these bits of light as much as she can, though sometimes she must pick her way across less than ideal footing to do so. She is making her way through the territory, heading ever toward the meadow where she has always found Aten’s recent scent. Rarely did she find the golden stallion, but she cannot blame him for what seems to be purposeful avoidance. The hand of fate is not always a benevolent thing, and Lepis has long since given up wishing for it to be. She has been in a position not much similar to the falcon-friend’s a time or two in her decade of life; this simply happens to be a year during which things are looking up.

She has even higher aims yet, and to achieve these lofty goals she needs to find Taiga’s Protector.

Her most recent pregnancy has been a draining one, more so even than the one that had resulted in triplets. There had been no possibility of diplomatic trips during the winter even the snow had been shallow enough for travel. The dun mare has been all but confined to the forest she had chosen to make her home, and she has made the best of it. Though she is far from knowing all the land’s secrets, she is far more familiar with the place than she had been upon her arrival last autumn. Yet in the last month she had slowed her efforts, frequently ill in the mornings and sometimes even into the evening. Her daughter was delivered after a long labor, and Lepis had rested with her in their nest for nearly a week.

Today at last, she has felt well enough to take on the full weight of her position as Comtesse. Her first action of the day is to seek out Aten, having left her daughter tucked beside Wolfbane.

Well aware that he might have already heard her arrival, the pegasus mare raises her head and calls out gently. She half-expects to see Izora Lethia, but she calls only for Aten as she breaks into the bright sunlight of the meadow. The spring sunshine is even warmer here, and Lepis half-spreads her wings to feel it better. Her posture is quite relaxed, and her blue-grey eyes are bright as she looks across the grassy area, hoping to find the stallion.

@[Aten]
    The warm summer sun provided the perfect grazing weather for the residents of Taiga, the kingdom's main meadow now a brilliant lush green and lined up until the trees that signaled the beginning of the forest and all the way to the different borders. Aten was content to relax in the meadow that day, grazing and enjoying the quiet that Taiga offered when it's residents weren't hustling and bustling with whatever duties they had to attend to.

Aten himself had quite an important job, and did not yet know if he would have to share it at some point. Nothing would surprise him; Wolfbane and Lepis had just marched in to take his throne. What was stopping them from going back on their word? It certainly wasn't honor, Aten figured that much.

The golden stallion had patiently waited throughout the winter for orders from Wolfbane and Lepis, but didn't receive any news whatsoever. So, instead, he cherished the time he could spend with Lethia, Owin, and Popinjay. He'd grown rather fond of the foals already, despite his unrelated blood. Popinjay's spontaneous ways had him refreshed and excited about life in ways he hadn't since he was a foal. The stallion was still serious most of the time, but around the trio of horses he cared for, he found he could be more... carefree, relaxed even.

Owin, still a newborn practically, had yet to show a lot of colors like the filly did, but Aten could already tell he would grow into a fine stallion when he was older. Surely he would make his dam proud, and perhaps Aten himself if the colt began to think of Aten as a parental figure in his life.

Lepis and Wolfbane had seemed preoccupied with their own familial matters, which would explain why the golden stallion hadn't received orders. He knew that Lepis had birthed a filly, and had spent a week recovering after the birth thanks to Turul's eyes in the sky. He had instructed the falcon to watch from a distance, not prying on the business of the mare and stallion, but simply to gather enough information to answer Aten's questions. At least, the ones he figured wouldn't land him in trouble.

Hence the distance part. He doubted Wolfbane and Lewis would ever grow to trust him in any amount of he had Turul spying to the point that he could hear every word. Of course, that instruction could change, but only if Aten felt the need. Until then, the stallion was content to ask his friend to watch from afar in case things turned sour.

The stallion was grazing in the open when he heard Lepis' call, his ears turning in her direction. For a moment, Aten didn't move, grazing for a few more bites of grass to satisfy the last of the gnawing in his belly. Only then did he lift his head to see if he could spy the winged mare, and managed to, several yards away. Her wings were splayed out in a light fashion, but she did not show any signs of anxiety or command. The summoning call had felt quite relaxed, so Aten had reason to believe that her business here was not urgent.

Reaching out to Turul and asking his friend to keep an eye on Lethia, who he knew was in the area with Owin and Popinjay, the stallion walked over to meet Lepis. He nodded his head in greeting; he'd grown past his distaste enough that he could now show civil behavior to the mare and her mate without a hidden angry look in his eye.

The mare's own were bright as Aten spoke, "Lepis. Turul tells me you had a successful foaling. My congratulations to you and Wolfbane." The stallion didn't find any point in lying, especially if the two had seen the falcon watching them from the trees. He knew how to hide, but Aten didn't know all the gifts Wolfbane and Lepis possessed.

"I take it now that winter has ended and your foal has hit the ground, you wished to speak with me about the matter we discussed during the kingdom meeting?"

@[Lepis]
    Their security in the northern woods has not been concerning to Lepis, even when she had been unable to perform patrols herself. Even during her difficult pregnancy she had been mobile enough to move about, and the edges of the redwood territory had always been well-traveled. She knew that her mate and children walked them, and Aten’s frequent scent had not come as a surprise. For all the champagne’s stallion dislike of the rulers, he has never let that interfere in the service and protection that he provides Taiga. Lepis had expected that, and the year-long proof has gone far to soften her heart toward the forest’s protector. That he does not feel the same is not something that worries Lepis; so long as he cares for the land she is willing to look past most other things.

Such other things include being frequently watched by a pair of golden eyes.

Aten’s confirmation of this via congratulations on her childbearing brings a wry smile to her face – she does not enjoy being watched, but it is a small price to pay. “Thank you Aten. Her name is Celina.” It is always easy to speak of her children, she finds, and this is no exception. “I suspect this year’s children might bring more excitement to the woods than we’ve seen in a while.” Her smile is indulgent, pleased at the thought of the three children – Celina, Owin, and Popinjay - gallivanting through the woods, brightening the misty forest with their pattering hooves and shouts of laughter.

The golden stallion brings up the matter that she’s come for, and Lepis nods her blue muzzle in affirmation. “Yes,” she says, “I think now is a good time. I’d like to send out envoys to the other lands, but first I wanted to speak with you, and learn what the Taiga’s ties were with the other lands prior to our arrival. I have familial ties to Loess,” she tells him, “and plan to make others, if my children are agreeable.” The bonds of blood are hard to break, but Aten has voiced concerns in the past over the risk of favoring blood rather than their word.

“Our land is growing,” she adds, thinking of not only the arrival of the children, but also of Liliana, Let, Bethlehem and Aries. “I would like to ensure that they are taken care of in case something happens to me.” Wolfbane will care for the children, she knows, but they would return to Loess on the rare chance of tragedy. This is Lepis’ dream, after all; Wolfbane is simply along for the ride. “I’d like to make you my successor, the heir of Taiga, if that is something you are interested in.” Her verbal promises that she would not leave the territory to just anyone are one thing, but perhaps the official title might grant Aten more security and less doubt of her intentions.

@[Aten]
    Lepis started by thanking Aten for his well-wishes regarding the newborn princess of Taiga, informing the golden stallion of her name as well. Aten thought in silence for a moment, a faint smile curling at the edge of his lips.

"Celina... it is a fine name. Befitting a Taigan princess I am sure. And I agree; their energy will surely be refreshing for the redwoods."

That part of the conversation was brief, finished, and Lepis moved on to more serious business. She indirectly told Aten that he was correct by stating she wished to send envoys out into other lands to speak to the leaders and inform them of the redwood kingdom's status and search for those who would potentially be allies as well.

But first, she wished for more information. Luckily, it was something Aten could provide, and he did not sense any hostile intentions from the mare either. He didn't think there was going to be a bad consequence for giving her what she wished to know.

"Regrettably, Taiga was not plentiful with alliances when Lilitha was still upon the throne. Nerine and Icicle Isle were the main parties, given Taiga is considered a subkingdom of the bigger territory all-together. Nerine itself, however, is allied with the West at this time, if I'm not mistaken. I did not have time to get more information from Heartfire before... things changed. I think it reasonable that Taiga can consider the Western kingdoms allies as well. Though I have not yet spoken to their leaders.

"The South and Eastern kingdoms are still of an unknown status, in Nerine's eyes. Given your ties to Loess however, I feel it is safe to say that the South can be considered an ally, even with Sylva's darker history from what I've heard."

When Aten had finished sharing what he knew, Lepis also brought up another topic, one that left him mildly... impressed, actually. He listened patiently as Lepis explained she wished for the children and residents of the redwood kingdom be taken care of if something should happen to her. Aten had no doubt that Wolfbane would live up to his job as a fellow protector, and there was no question on Aten's intentions for the matter too.

But it was what Lepis said next that left him... almost speechless.

Aten stared at the Queen a moment, "Forgive me for being... surprised, by what you just said. I am honored that you would ask a task like that of me. I had always felt though that, whether or not your foals were old enough at the time, that you would prefer handing the throne down to one of them if a situation like what you just described happened."

@[Lepis]
    “Oh, she’s not a princess.” Lepis demurs, her bright eyes sparkling. “And I don’t want her treated like one either. I know first hand how royal treatment can go to one’s head.” Though the dun woman’s lips turn in a smile, she is recalling her own childhood. Wolfbane and Lepis’ tactic to treat their children as though their parents are no one of importance has worked rather well (if Lepis does say so herself).

Aten is agreeable to shifting the topic toward less personal topics, and Lepis listens intently to what he has to say.

So they are allied with Nerine and Icicle Isle – this explains Heartfire’s behavior at their last meeting. The pegasus nods at this news, and is pleased that the rest of the information regarding allies is much as she expected.

“We are certainly allied with Loess,” she tells him, “Though I am not espeically fond of Sylva. The place and I have...a poor history.” Her most recent history with the Autumn Realm had been her expulsion from the throne. The dappled King Arthas had not responded well to her admission of love for Wolfbane, nor the fact that his queen wished to be married to the Loessian rather than the man whose child was carrying. And that was so very far from her worst memory of the orange woods. So much has changed since then, Lepis realizes, not long after she realizes that she’s been rather quiet for just slightly too long.

“Sorry, I was lost in my thoughts.” The small mare says with a toss of her navy mane and an apologetic smile. “This is good information to know; I was trying to think of where best to send you. I was thinking Island Resort, if you and Lethy are up for a bit of a vacation as well as a diplomatic mission?” The champagne stallion does not look like the sort of man who would waste time on pleasure while there was business to attend to, but Lepis is thinking of her friend Izora Lethia as well when she says this. The buckskin mare deserves something nice; Lepis makes a note to offer to watch Owin and Popinjay while the couple are away.

“I do see the value in bloodlines used to unite lands and cemented alliances, but my children are young yet, and I don’t want them to experience the weight of leadership when they are not prepared. I do think they’d make wonderful rulers -” she smiles proudly at this, thinking with a fond expression of her children, “- but not yet. Perhaps some day one of them might impress you enough to be made your heir.” Surely one of the five living foals she’s born will make this redwood forest their permanent home. If not, there is always hope for the sixth that has not yet begun to quicken in her womb.

@[Aten]
    Aten would not deny that he was left curious by the deeper meaning in Loess' words, but this made sense; after all, he was technically not raised as royalty. Ruan may have led the Taiga, but by that time, Aten was a grown stallion and treated with respect in general simply because he gave it to others as well. He could not have known how the lives of some horses raised as the next in line for the throne had it during foal hood, whether because of the pressure that they would rule one day, the goals their parents had, worrying about who to trust... it was an endless list, really.

Lepis confirmed Aten's suspicion that the redwood kingdom was indeed allied with Loess. She expressed that she was not fond of Sylva either. Aten may not have had the personal history that the mare did, but he had heard a number of things about the autumn land. He did not have a quick desire to go there, not unless it was absolutely needed.

The stallion shook his head with Lepis apologized for getting lost in her thoughts; there was no need for such a thing. Aten did the same all the time. She stated her plan of having Aten and Lethia travel to the Island Resort together, something Aten was pleased about. He would enjoy having some time alone with the pretty buckskin mare, and knew that Owin and Popinjay would be well protected here. He would take some time though to consider asking Turul to either stay or go with them; there would be useful times for the falcon to be on both sides.

Then, Lepis goes on to state why she was asking Aten to take the throne. She wished for her children to one day do so, but wanted them prepared. Aten may not be of royal blood, much less that of Lepis', but he was grown, knew his way around the kingdom, and if he had to say so himself, smart in the mind and soft with his tongue. He always thought things through and very rarely made a rash decision.

Aten took a moment, "I can say that, like yourself, I would like for one of my own future foals to take the throne one day. But like you, I want them prepared. I will keep your children close so that I will be able to make the decision of which one to hand the throne should they prove indeed worthy. Though, with you and Wolfbane raising them, I do have high hopes. And, with your request, I will be honored to be your successor should I prove worthy when you decide to hand it down.

"In regards to the Island Resort, I will let Lethia know. I have my own opinions about Taiga of course, but I would like to know what information you would like for me to emphasize on our trip there. How would you like us to approach the leader? Sadly, we cannot claim to have a large defensive force in place yet, unless you count Nerine, the Isle, and Loess. But perhaps the Island is not in great terms with one of them, and I do not wish to put all my eggs in one nest."

@[Lepis]

OOC: Terribly sorry for the wait; many things have kept me very busy.
    The blue-eyed mare listens as Aten speaks. She smiles at his compliment – that he has high hopes for her children – and her expression grows more contented still as he accepts her request to serve as her heir. Having the matter settled is an expected relief, and the Comtesse and the Protector-Heir delve easily into the next topic. He will tell Lethia about their trip to the Island Resort, he says, and for a moment Lepis pictures the reaction of her buckskin friend. Aten inquires about the diplomatic specifics, and Lepis pauses for a moment to consider

The dun pegasus does not know much about the leaders of the tropical islands, save that it is a stallion named Ruinam on the Resort and a mare named Adria. Adria uses the title of Dame since she, like Lepis, is unable to use the title Queen due to her leadership of a territory rather than a kingdom. She does not know what title Ruinam uses, but does know he was once allied with Sylva and their traitorous rulers. What ties remain she is not certain, but she does hope there is some potential friendship between the small island and the larger Loessian empire.

“Our forces and Loess’ are certainly a formidable advantage we might offer.” She muses aloud, and pause just a moment before speaking again. Her expression is pensive as she fixes Aten with her blue grey eyes, and considers what to tell him. Does she let him know of her conversation with the roan Queen? Does she tell him what the relationship between Taiga and her parent kingdom has become? Yes, she decides, he deserves to know, and though it takes more trust than Lepis might have expected, she opens her mouth to speak. 

“I would suggest avoiding mention of Nerine. I recently offered to move the Kingdom seat from Nerine to Taiga since our forest is the most active of the three northern lands and having a central location seemed logical. Heartfire was not receptive to that, nor to the fact that the alternative was that I ask Castile of Loess to consider Taiga a territory of his kingdom rather than Nerine.” This all sounds quite fair and logical to Lepis as she says it. With Heartfire, she had not used threats of immediate violence the way she and her husband had with Aten. She does still want to avoid bloodshed, after all. And there was also the ability of the roan Heartfire to simply disintegrate anything that displeased her. “I intend to visit her to resolve this in the future, but until then, I think it is best to avoid mention entirely.”

“As for what we can offer them, I think at the very least that a mutual agreement to not steal or challenge except for practice would be beneficial for both our lands. If they are willing to share news of their own alliances and friendships with other kingdoms, please do the same. Let them know we are allied with Castile of Loess and Litotes of Pangea.” She doesn’t mention the individual territories, for not all of them have reached out specifically to Taiga. She can’t be certain that they’re not performing their own quiet secessions or coups the way that Taiga is attempting to. If they are, Taiga will learn of it soon enough, and can respond in a way that will best keep their own residents safe and away from harm and the trials of war and conflict.

@[Aten]
    Though Taiga's own protective forces did not number beyond a few members of full size yet, Aten could see that offering all the numbers they had could prove to be an advantage. So he would do as Lepis suggested and take into account all the horses they had in their forces, and hopefully that would be enough to peak Ruinam's interest.

The Queen instructed him to avoid mention of Nerine however, and when she explained why, Aten could see reason. However, that plan befuddled his mind; moving the seat of power from Nerine to Taiga? A kingdom that bordered nearly every other land in Beqanna's heart?

He listened to what else Lepis had to say regarding Nerine, not surprised by Heartfire's reaction to the proposal. And that Lepis had asked Castile to take Taiga as a territory of Loess? Aten did not see that as a smart move himself. Even if other lands were allied with each other, if one kingdom existed that had three subdivisions in addition to itself, others might grow unhappy with that and break out in unnecessary conflict. There was also the problem that it would require a deal be made between Heartfire and Castile; what if one side did not? Aten did not know if the roan queen had a good standing with Loess' king. If they didn't...

No kingdom could afford that, especially Taiga. The land was still healing from the effects of the Plague, Aten could sense it in his bones.

Lepis said she'd revisit the matter later with Heartfire herself, but Aten made a note that he would speak to the roan queen as well if she did not approach him first. This was a more serious matter, and though they were still in the early stages of friendship, Aten had known the roan queen longer than Lepis. He could stand to reason that Heartfire might find more logic in his words than that of the dun mare.

The last piece of news Aten was instructed to share involved steals and challenges, which would not be conducted among the allied kingdoms, should Island Resort agree, except for practice. He was encouraged to find out about the alliances Island Resort held, and would inform them in turn of Taiga's own.

A lot of good information to share, given that Island Resort would hopefully be on at least neutral territory with Loess and Pangea.

"I will be sure to relay all of this information to Lethia as well so she knows what ammunition we are walking into this meeting with," the golden stallion stated, "But before I go to her, I would like to offer my two bits on something else. I understand why Heartfire would be hesitant, but transferring the seat of power from Nerine to Taiga? I do not find that a move in the best interest myself.

"If Heartfire were to agree, and Taiga became the new throne of the northern kingdoms, it would be much easier for other forces against our kingdoms to move in and try to usurp it. We would have lands to flee to in the north if we must, but it would make our land vulnerable, and if there were perhaps a move on Taiga's forests that we did not know of, Nerine and the Isle would have little time to assist.

"With Taiga blocking the northern path to Nerine, it acts as a barrier to give them the time they need to prepare their own forces if we remain in the redwoods to fight back.

"And in giving Taiga to Castile's lands, it would mean Nerine has one less territory. What if one day, perhaps, the alliance between Loess and Nerine were to fail? It would leave Nerine and the Isle vulnerable themselves to claim from an enemy kingdom should one try to move in.

"Understand I am not undermining what time you put into thinking of this consideration for Taiga's future," Aten trailed off into softer conversation, "But I worry what it could mean if the throne was moved into an easier target spot, or Taiga's territory was traded which may help others see through the eye of Nerine's vulnerabilities if it only has two lands. I know it is based more off hypothetical judgment, but every option must be considered."

@[Lepis]
    The dun mare is quiet as Aten speaks his concerns, her navy tipped ears focused on him, and her blue-grey eyes fixed to his. The champagne stallion has long been a  protector of these woods, and to ignore his advice would be more than foolish. His doubts about the geographical safety of Taiga as the kingdom seat are valid, but the winged Comtesse has considered that - that and more.

"I appreciate your concerns," she tells him honestly, "And I would far rather you share them with me than keep them to yourself to avoid seeming as though you seek to undermine me. As Taiga's protector, I do expect you to prioritize our home over my feelings." Her feelings, Lepis says, but not her authority.

"That said, I do feel I have taken this into account. I believe our alliances with the South and the East remain strong enough that the North need not fear invasion and vulnerability. If anything, our woods provide us with protection and safety that our northern neighbor lacks. Successful diplomatic ventures to the West will hopefully cement our safety further, and I am certain Heartfire will see the advantage of either proposal I have offered her."

At this Lepis nods decisively. She knows that others see the world differently than she does, that they might seek out alternate routes to the goals that she has planned. But other are wrong and she is right; that the dun Comtesse is certain of.

"I will leave you to prepare for your trip West." Lepis says with a small smile, effectively ending the conversation in favor of moving on toward further actions. If Aten has further concerns she would listen to them, but it is clear she feels the conversation complete and is eager to move on to other things - like her trip to Nerine and her discussion with the Queen.

ooc: i thought this would be a good place to wrap it up since both Aten and Lepis have started conversations they talk about in future tense here :)
    I'm good to end it here; it's in a decent place since there's not much left to say.