• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

I want to be where the people are // Any
    It was the ocean, always. Her cradle and playground, her home and her sanctuary. Like her mother before her, she was born to explore its limitless expanses. She had walked on the surface only briefly as a foal, breathed air only experimentally until her native tides called her back.She had siblings, a mother and a father. It was all she'd needed for so long.

It was an echo of her mother, the way the sea claimed her one day, without warning. 

When at last she emerged on the almost forgotten sands of her birth place, it was like a piece of salt bleached bone had been swept ashore. Her legs felt weak as reeds as the support of her home spun away from her, leaving her gasping in the too thin air. Immediate regret settled in her belly, heavy and pinching. Why was she here? A wet cough rolled through her as she blinked away the saltwater pooled in her eyes. The dimly lit beach came slowly into focus as she remembered how to use her lungs.

Dry, crunchy sand clung to the pearl smoothness of her scales, shifting around her as she gathered her legs to stand. It was so much harder here, she felt so much heavier. And yet her limbs seemed to move with unexpected ease once she got going. Her first few steps were wobbly high kicks, surging forth with the lack of resistance. "Ohhh," she moaned under her breath, feeling the lack of motion around her. There was nothing. No rhythm, no pulse. Just dry, dull, lifeless air, and unforgiving ground beneath her mossy feet.

While the sun peeked from behind the downy cloud cover, she lit up in the glamour she'd inherited from her submarine kin. She'd been born in shades of gold, with violet eyes like her dam. As the years went by, the color rinsed from her scaled coat, from the translucent veil of her finned mane and tail, until she stood there like a sun tinged pearl. Gold and rose edged each milky crescent, except for where strands of dark mosses trailed. A pair of tiny pink starfish huddled against the skin of her neck.
    From ear tips to nervous hooves, she looked all together like a fairy creature, something not quite real. That was the problem, really. She had stopped feeling real, all alone on the bottom of the sea. That, and the stories she'd heard since birth, had driven her to the land, and the alien world that had always been above her. Aquaria, the bright young thing from the sea, had returned to the shores of her birth to seek her future. 
    Vita

Vita had traveled a lot and met many equines since settling into Ischia. She was even apart of a diplomatic visit, and though she was still more timid than most equines she was quickly finding herself and growing out of her shell.

She casually strolled through Ischia, the kingdom rather quiet and she had still yet to meet another Ischian besides Adria. She didn't mind it though, the silence ensured she didn't have to converse when she didn't want to.

As she strolled though she heard movement near the shore, and even what seemed to be a struggle? The teal girl tilted her head and quickly but quietly moved towards the source of the sound.

She stumbles upon a girl, she was beautiful! Her pelt looked like a pearl, shiny and melding into shades of gold. She quietly grows closer to the girl and even sees what appears to be starfish attached to her. A gentle smile tugs at her lips and she stops a few paces away from the stranger.

Are...are you alright? She glances over the girl who physically looks fine...but she swears she heard her groaning..maybe it was a figment of her imagination and now she just looks stupid.

Fear Controls You

@[Aquaria] IVE MISSED YOU.
    The pallid mare lifted her head in sharp acknowledgment of the soft voice calling to her. A half grown creature approached, splashed and dipped in clear blue and white. Her back was heavily coated in glossy feathers, giving her outline an unfamiliar shape. Still, she seemed harmless enough. Charming, even. 

Still breathing a bit hard, her mouth lifted in a bewildered smile. "Mhmm," she assured, moving into a somewhat more stable position. "Just... Getting my land legs back, s'all." Her body shakes still from the unaccustomed stillness of the beach, eyes rolling lightly at the absurd situation. Really, who over the age of a day struggled so badly with keeping their feet under them? 

Her pelt began to itch as it dried, flaky scales melting back against her skin as hair covered her again for the first time in years. Her gills laid flush against her throat, and she began to resemble a being of land as much as sea. 

Gazing at the teal girl and the surrounding area, her brow furrowed. It wasn't very familiar, beyond the fact that the shore was covered in white sand and edged in rustling palms. But that didn't mean much. Most islands for several leagues in any direction matched that description. Of course, fewer of these isles homed such bright colored horses, but she asked anyway. 

"I was hoping to land in Ischia, if it's still called that. Tell me, did I get my directions right?" The words dropped from her tongue slowly, out of practice. It was strange not to see the words flow in a stream of bubbles from her mouth. 

@[Vita]
    Vita

Vita was instantly worried for the girl before her, a possible hidden injury? But when she inquires on her health she assures Vita that she is fine. The champagne mare moved a bit and then lets her know that she was getting her 'land legs'.

Vita smiles gently, she remembers the sea creature she had met on the shore of Ischia and wonders if this one has a similar trait. Had she lived in the water for that long? Was it even that possible?

Though the mare says she is fine her body still shakes, Vita moves next to the girl and gently presses her own body against hers. It was a gentle touch, and one that offered stability while she regained the familiarity of hooves.

She seems to be scanning the horizon, looking for any sign of familiarity. She eventually turns to Vita to ask her if the land she stumbled upon was Ischia and that alone created a smile on her maw.

Yes! She gleefully responds, did you live here once?! Have you returned here? She may be bombarding her with questions but her innocent curiosity cannot be contained. I'm Vita by the way! I live here, she adds in the additional details.

Fear Controls You

@[Aquaria]
    Aquaria giggled softly at the girl's enthusiastic response, waiting for the words too subside before choosing her own answer. 

"Happy to meet you, Vita," She replied in her bubbling tone. "I'm Aquaria. I was born on these shores, yes. And I'm thinking to stay, to visit for a while. Perhaps to see if some of my kin still walk these parts. Do you have family here?" She asked, noting for the first time just how young the girl was. Old enough to be adventuring on her own, yes, but still young enough to benefit from a loving dam to return to at the end of the day. 

Not that you ever got too old for that. Aquaria's own dam was as much a part of the sea as herself, but the elder nereid and her sea borne father roamed their own territory. It was a safe haven to visit with them whenever the loneliness got too cold. She was always welcome there, but they knew her well enough to know that she couldn't be held there long. Always, there was some new sea trench to explore, some new species of fish to follow and study and befriend. And now, there was the land, and it's half remembered secrets to remember. 

As the her body slowly iguan accustoms itself to the steady ground, she finds herself preparing to go forth from this little landing spot. Perhaps this little bird girl would be her guide. 

@[Vita]
    Vita

Day by day she grew out of her shy shell and into a curious young girl, though still naive to the world. She hadn't many friends, and it was all due to her shyness, but for some reason she hoped one would bud with this one.

The girl responds with a tone similar to Vita's, she introduces herself as Aquaria, and Vita quickly places it in her memory. She goes on to tell Vita she lived her once and she returned to see her family, though when she asks about Vita's family she fumbles for the words.

No, she responds in a hushed tone. I was born in Nerine, where my family still is. She pauses, how much did she want to share, no how much did Aquaria care. She decides not to bore her with any other details, leaving it at that.

Her head looks to the inner land of Ischia, and she moves a few paces closer. The teal girl turning to the pale friend, gesturing towards the innards of there home.

Who is your family? I haven't met to many equines in Ischia, but a few. That was good enough right? The winged girl gently moves closer to the land again, the shoreline growing further and further out of sight. Will you be staying here permanently? Full of questions, she can only hope not to be an annoyance to the pale girl.

Fear Controls You

@[Aquaria]
    They are moving away from the water, and Aquaria feels the distance pull at her chest. It's humid on this island, but even so, her skin feels tight and dry. Something else to get used to, she supposes. She shakes the feeling off, a flurry of glittering shed scales dusting the ground. 

As they walk, she listens to the girl, Vita's, brief answer when the question of family comes up. Not an easy subject, then. Her tail flicked as she took the topic back, letting the girl keep her secrets. "The sea folk are mine. The nereids, anyway, not the nasty kelpies. Always going around, biting people. No manners." Her golden nose wrinkled in distaste. 

The unpleasant thought faded quickly, replaced with a smile. "I suppose that depends on whoever's in charge here. I'd like to stay a while. Permanently is maybe a bit too... Well, permanent, for me. But I'd certainly like to reacquaint myself with the island." Her voice was bright as she spoke, gazing around at the trees beginning to pop up through the sand. 

They all rustled a bit in the breeze, but other than that, everything seemed rather stiff. There was no rhythm. No dance to the scene. Only her own limbs still flowed like the sea still flowed along them, a subconscious ballet. The scents on the air, though, that was something new and a little amazing. She didn't use her nose much under water, so the bombardment of odors had her head spinning. 

She stuck her nose in a huge, violet bloom, inhaling the fruity fragrance, then sneezing hard as pollen tickled inside. A giggled bubbled up her throat, eyes sparkling when she looked toward Vita. "Have you smelled these? They're amazing!" She laughed, nibbling a petal experimentally. It tasted like it smelled. She felt like a foal, discovering the world all over again. 

Not bothering to fight the grin taking over her face, she turned once more to her newfound companion. "So, Vita, would you care to show a new girl around? Maybe introduced me to a few of your friends?" The translucent veil of her forelock flopped across her eyes as she bounced lightly on her toes, hoping her new friend would agree to a tour. 

@[Vita]
    Vita
    She listens to the girl talk, both sharing there history on family. Vita wasn't exactly sure the difference of a nereid and a kelpie, and in turn she tilts her head slightly. what makes a Kelpie mean? She knew Adria had some sort of water trait, was she a kelpie? Well, I guess whats the difference? Being so young and a land a dweller she was naive to the creatures that surrounded the water.

Vita asks if the pale girl will be staying, her answer not fully what she was hoping for. Although she enjoyed traveling so what really is permanent? 

She smiles gently at her still, Adria rules Ischia! She is such a kind ruler, you should definitely meet her! The teal girl only has nice things to say about the vermillion ruler. The leader who has taken on a motherly role in her young life.

The pair continue into Ischia until some flowers called Aquaria. Vita's gazed watched her with delight, her own memory flicking to her initial fascination with the islands plants. But when Aquaria laughs and turns to ask Vita if she had smelled them before, she looks briefly before realizing she hadn't. 

She shakes her head and moves up beside the pale girl, her own nose dropping into the flower. It's smell was indescribable, but it was sweet. Wow, she says, just as pleased with this flower as the rest of the islands. She watches as Aquaria takes a taste from the flower, and with a giggle Vita follows. It was sweeter than grass! Like a small hidden gem, and besides those two she may never tell anyone else to try a bite!

Her gaze flicking back to Aquaria as she breaks the silence, this time asking Vita to show her around and even introduce her to some friends. Unfortunately the teal girl hadn't met many equines in Ischia. Of course! She says gleefully, her legs move her, following the trail of flowers which will lead into a beautiful open meadow.

Ischia is a rather quiet kingdom, I havent met many besides Adria and another. In fact Luath swam in the water just like Aquaria, if he wasn't one of those kelpies she mentioned they may become friends! But I travel a lot, and I'd love to show you my friends from different homes. She says with a smile, coming to a halt before the meadow. It was encircled with tall trees, and on the floor a large arrangement of different flowers. Sometimes, at night there are these bugs that light up the sky. You'll have to come to see!  

Fear Controls You

@[Aquaria]
    Aquaria tilted her ears back, a little embarrassed. "Oh. Well, don't let me prejudice you. They're more predatory, is all. Nereids are plant eaters like most horses. Kelpies... Well, they aren't. They eat other animals. I've heard that some of them are even cannibals, eating other horses." She quivered a little in disgust. 

When the conversation turned to the topic of the islands leadership, however, a cackle of pure amusement flew from her lips. "Is she, now? Yes, I'll be sure to make my introductions." She assured, eyes alight. Well now she simply had to stay a while. An extra bounce elevated her steps for a few paces as she followed the lithe girl ahead of her, deeper into the island's jungle. 

Once they'd finished their exploitation of the tasty flowers, Vita went on to expand on her description of Ischia as it currently was. If Adria ruled, then surely things were already very different than when Aquaria had been a baby. She smiled at the younger girl's enthusiasm, her clear love of her home, even if it seemed to be a bit lonely. 

"I'd love to travel with you," the sea mare agreed, pleased with the idea of seeing more of the world. They reached the edge of a grassy space, ringed with more of the vegetation they'd been walking past for the last few minutes. Her eyes grew wide with wonder art the description of the luminous insects Vita spoke of. "You're kidding? That sounds so much nicer than the little flying things I've seen so far. Almost like the jellyfish blooms in the summer!" 

She loved watching the jellyfish drift above her at night, rings of pulsing light that moved to the ebb and flow of whatever current held them. As long as she didn't try touching the squishy things, it was a lovely way to spend a few hours. 

@[Vita]
    Vita

Vita was always curious, so of course when Aquaria notes the difference between a nereid and kelpie she intently listens. One eats vegetation, one eats....blood? Her eyes pop open when she tells her, her mind instantly flicking to her aquatic friend and though she wasn't fully aware she assumes he must have been a Nereid, he was too nice!

Oh wow! Good to know the difference, she giggles in response. The conversation drifting to Adria, and of course she smiles at the though of Aquaria meeting the gentle queen. Her pale friend seeming truly intersted, and she knows one day they'll meet and she will love her just as much!

Aquaria noting that she had been sea bound for years, quickly admitting she would love to travel with Vita and meet others. She smiles, but before she can respond she quickly swaps topics to the bugs that light the field up at night!

She seems just as interested as Vita was and she knows without a doubt that the two girls would be great friends in this life. Perfect! I will come and find you the next time I go to a new land, or go to view the meadow She says with a smile. I do have some place to be now though, I'm so glad to have met you Aquaria! With her departing words the girl shifts from her bright equine form to a jet black crow and flies off into the protection of the trees.

Fear Controls You

@[Aquaria] just a quick closer!