• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

caught in the crosshairs of the things we've done; Brennen
    SO GIVE ME HOPE IN THE DARKNESS THAT I WILL SEE THE LIGHT
    'CAUSE OH THAT GAVE ME SUCH A FRIGHT
    Technically, he is still a part of Nerine. Brennen has never cut his ties to the cliff-side seat of power, though he hasn’t resided here anywhere near full-time since his love affair with Scorch went up in flames like the most vicious wildfire. The magician is still their Champion, first and foremost. To those who saw only that Brennen was hopelessly in love with Scorch, and Scorch chose Hestoni, it might seem quite odd that he’s chosen to remain loyal to Nerine, but there are ties that bind deeper, invisible ties; and he is linked to Nerine’s Queen independently of the woman who broke his heart. (Or so he tells himself, to refuse to admit that he still has feelings for Scorch – but the truth is, when she vibrates his family ‘net’, Heartfire is actually pinging him twice; once as his great-granddaughter and once as Scorch’s granddaughter).

It takes him a moment to settle Nihlus and the twins, who insist on a story before they’ll settle for a nap with their dam, and also to make a quick check on the mischievous yearling in the ocean before he heads in her direction. But, given those few stolen moments with his young children, he chooses simply to reappear in Nerine rather than fly over. The first thing that hits him is the fierce wind, and he bemusedly notes the way the blue roan mare is leaning over the cliff face. He takes a purposeful step on the rocks to announce his presence, because he doesn’t want to have his first words startle her over the edge. He could snatch her back with magic, but what if he missed, or something? “Unless you summoned me here to watch a terribly mistimed suicide attempt,” he says dryly, a distinct glint of humor in his eyes. “I’d prefer if you step back from the edge.”

They don’t have a close personal relationship, but Brennen will always come for his descendants if they call him.

“I hope you don’t need my services as Champion, either,” he flashes a quick glint of a smile momentarily quite dangerous. “Because I am sure we could find more interesting things to talk about.” The magician is curious about her, one of these children whose parents he never knew. He loves them anyway, in a visceral and strong way, but it’s a different relationship to come to know them as adults, rather than raising them as children. As he’d raised her great-aunt and great-uncle. Cy had given him the twins, but for some reason she had kept Oksana from him; he might never know why, but he likes to watch his great-granddaughter craftily rule her corner of the world.

BUT I WILL HOLD AS LONG AS YOU LIKE
    JUST PROMISE ME WE'LL BE ALRIGHT
    Brennen

@[Heartfire]

Messages In This Thread
    RE: caught in the crosshairs of the things we've done; Brennen - by Brennen - 08-18-2019, 08:24 PM