• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[open]  could i use you as a warning sign | carwyn, any

I V A R
    i'll use you as a makeshift gauge of how much to give and how much to take

Most afternoons, Ivar can be found floating belly up somewhere in the shallows around his island. Today is no exception, and he drifts at the surface, golden eyes closed in sleep, his tricolored belly exposed to the sun.

His rest is a light thing though (Ivar does not dream, his physiology incapable of REM sleep), and he wakes at the slightest disturbance. Most times it is nothing of worth. The soft patter of his mares’ hooves on the beach or the bump of a bit of jetsam. Sometimes the Nereids call to each other beneath the sea, and his twitching sapphire ears catch the heady sound of their song. Other times he has caught the scent of a stranger in the water, and those times he fully rouses himself. The kelpie has watched each resident of the Ischian islands, and he knows those that enter the water the best. He has watched them from the depths, golden eyes barely above the water on a long pale head. 

Rarely does he find himself interested in approaching one.

Yet as he catches the scent of someone in the water, the kelpie’s metallic eyes open wide in his sapphire face. His muscled tail flicks down, pulling him vertical in the water. He’s less visible from the shore in this position, and a much smaller target when seen from above. The source of this sudden wakefulness is a figure moving along the crescent beach of his little island. 

Small, blue and white, and winged; Carwyn is easy to identify. 

The roan relative of Brennen has been living on his island for the better part of three years, he realizes, and she has yet to bear him a kelpie child. It’s rather disappointing, and he considers getting rid of her – not for the first time. But that would require work, and he is an inherently lazy creature. And there is always the chance that she is carrying his child, though Ivar is quite certain that if she bears him another terrestrial child that he’ll finally rid his island of Brennen’s line entirely. 

“What did you name the first two?” Ivar asks, having swam nearer to where she stands on the beach and begun to shift back into a quadruped. The sensation of standing on hooves is uncomfortable, but the kelpei gives it little thought as he meets Carwyn’s gaze. They have spoken very little since the conception of their first son; that much is obvious in his query. “The next one will be a kelpie.” He adds, surety in his tone as he says it. 

and i'll use you as a warning sign
    That if you talk enough sense then you'll lose your mind

Carwyn hadn't much kept in much touch with Ivar since their first son Aeghir came to be. She had been meaning to visit with him more but at that time she had two boys to take care of. The winged mare kept her wings tucked into her sides as she shifted her wait. She gave him a small smile as she said "Our first son's name is Aeghir and our other sons name is Tywll." She took in his statement about how the next foal would be a kelpie. She hoped that the baby or babies she was carrying was a kelpie. She said "I am sure that our next will be a kelpie. Do you like our sons names?"

@[Ivar] I am so sorry for the shortness and I am hoping the next reply will be longer.

I V A R
    The tobiano kelpie is not an easy creature to visit; there is a reason those who have seen him the most are those who dwell beneath the sea with him. Such visits have been less common of late, his consorts left for warmer water and Ivar uninterested in pursuing them. That is what has spurred his more frequent visits to land of late. Well, that and the taste of autumn in the air, the time when he is safest, the time when he does his part to ensure that the waters of Ischia are thick with the children of his line.

Part of him realizes he’s fortunate that the leader of the larger island is a mare. The idea of territorial disputes doesn’t appeal to him. So he keeps his bloody business to the far side of the island and smiles prettily each time Adria or her minions swim by. The Dame of the Nereids might suspect what he is, Ivar thinks, but he has made it all but impossible to prove.

Carwyn is likely as oblivious to his nature. His golden eyes narrow at her smile and the announcement of their sons’ names. His face, while impossible handsome, is also entirely unreadable. Ivar shakes his dripping mane across to his other shoulder, and glances up and down the empty beach with a scowl and no answer for the roan pegasus in front of him.

“Have you been the main island?” he asks instead. “To meet the leader, their Dame?” The distaste in his voice is obvious; he makes little effort to hide his true emotions. The red mare had been condescending at their last meeting, and while Ivar cares little for what others think, he knows that he swims a fine line here in Ischia, especially with Brennen not far.

that if you talk enough sense then you'll lose your mind

@[Carwyn]
    Carwyn
    Folded wings into flattening veins and fluttering eyes
    The winged girl shifted her weight again and gave a small sigh. She had noticed the way the kelpies eyes narrowed once she mentioned their sons' names. Carwyn looked towards the water and then back at the kelpie stallion. She listened to his questions and began to choose her words carefully. She said "I have not made my way to the main island yet. I might go ahead and meet the Dame of the Island." She had noticed that he had left her question unanswered and kind of felt uneasy. She would go and visit her sons' as soon as she could. They had no idea about their unborn sibling or siblings. She turned her attention back to Ivar as she tried to decide on what to do or say to the blue and gold stallion.

@[Ivar]
    Somewhere my lifeline still hums and sings
    In the mess of all I have thrown away
    HTML by Call-pic manip by Devin

I V A R
    Though one sapphire ear flicks toward Carwyn at her sigh, it does not merit a glance away from the turquoise sea and the main island. The beach there is still and empty save for a few parrots, but the kelpie knows the same is not true for the jungle. The roan mare beside him confirms that she has not been there, and Ivar nods slowly, acknowledging he hears her even if he does not bother to meet her gaze.

“You should.” he tells her.

“Go and make yourself useful.” The kelpie adds. Let the Dame of Ischia know that there is some benefit in allowing Ivar free reign over his small isle, he thinks, and if Carwyn is a disappointment he’ll simply wash his hands of her. He recalls Carwyn wishing to be a diplomat when he had first taken over the island, and somewhere in the back of his mind knows that perhaps she might even enjoy it. The kelpie doesn’t consider this in his decision though; the happiness of others is inconsequential.

that if you talk enough sense then you'll lose your mind

@[Carwyn]
    Carwyn let her gaze drift to the sea once more as she considered when she should head over to the main island. She looked over at Ivar and gave him a small smile. It was not unusual for her to stay held up somewhere and not make it around to talk to everyone. She should at least introduce herself to the Dame of Icshia. She slowly lowered her head towards the water and got a small drink of water. The roan said "I will head that way soon as I can." She kept her wings tight against her sides in order to keep from revealing the early stages of her pregnancy. She took a small step towards the kelpie and nuzzled his neck softly. She knew there would probably be a consequence for her action of her starnge affection for the stallion.

@[Ivar]