• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  when the truth hunts you down; Aten

She's got the devil's eyes

The last several weeks had been very busy ones for her. Ones in which she carefully sifted through the information she had been gathering, placed well chosen words in subtly bent ears, and set chips in place that required only one small tip of the domino to go toppling into position. Of course, any number of those things could so easily go askew. Indeed, there were already changes happening that she hadn’t anticipated.

But she is nothing if not patient and meticulous. In the end, it would hardly matter.

She wonders if Aten believes she had forgotten him. Perhaps it would feel as such to the red stallion, but oh, she most certainly had not. Unfortunately her position in the matter had required careful precision rather than heedless charging into the fray. When she comes to him, it is with plans set already in motion. Plans that would ultimately pave the way to both of their desired end goals.

Though her and Aten are virtual strangers still, she had done her homework before placing any amount of trust in him. Certainly there are any number of horses that might have worked just as well, but he has a rather uncommon sort of common sense. And that, as far as she is concerned, is invaluable. So she trusts, that when she finally seeks him out, he would lend a much more perceptive and understanding ear than most.

After all, he had made the decision to step aside in favor of battle, knowing he was likely outmatched. And she has no doubt that patience would pay off, in the end.

He is easy enough to find for a woman of her abilities, and she is patient enough to wait until the timing is convenient. But when she finally does approach, there is purpose in her stride and a subtle gleam in her eye that contrasts quite sharply with the rather cheerful morning sunlight. “Good morning, Aten,” she greets pleasantly. “Let’s take a walk, shall we?”

and they'll cut you like a weapon

Heartfire

@[Aten] Heartfire is here for a friendly hello  Angel
    The seasons had seemed to blend together in the time that passed since Aten had stepped down from Taiga's throne, and in time, he had learned to live with his current situation. He was no longer openly hostile towards Wolfbane and Lepis, instead learning to work with both of them to a degree. He'd agreed to take a trip to the Island Resort on Lepis' behalf, as an ambassador for Taiga, along with Lethia, and had expressed his desire for himself and Wolfbane to reach a common ground and agree to work together to protect Taiga should the need arise.

He was friendly toward their foals in an effort to appear civil in their eyes as well; he didn't need their negative thoughts. He was kind towards the strangers that appeared on the border, he welcomed visiting diplomats, he made regular journeys to find new recruits...

In all, he was doing the same tasks he would have done as King. Just this time, it was a different title.

Due to a number of matters, Aten had not paid a visit to Nerine in quite some time, and had also not forgotten that he was due to have a meeting with Heartfire. They had agreed to do so at their last talk, when Aten had informed her of Wolfbane and Lepis' arrival and the position he would take to protect his home. That was the last he'd seen of the mare for some time, for they had each become busy with their positions in their respective kingdoms.

He felt a bit degraded since Taiga and Nerine were technically sister kingdoms, one being the sub division of another, but he knew Heartfire wouldn't take such a matter personally. She had her own plans, as Aten did. In time, though, they'd grown from wanting revenge and a gift just so he could stand on equal ground with Wolfbane and Lepis.

If he received a gift at any point in his life while he still lacked the throne, he was doing so to ensure his home's welfare. He didn't view that as a truly selfish method, since in his mind, it was a just reason. He would be protecting Taiga, his loved ones; the desire to take back what was his had quelled in his heart, if only for the time being, no matter how many moons or seasons into the future it took for the blaze to be lit once more.

Aten did not anticipate Heartfire's arrival on this day, until he caught her scent. Normally, Turul would've informed him of an impending arrival, but the Gyrfalcon was currently off on a hunt. During those times, Aten let him have his peace and quiet, unless it was an urgent matter. When not needed, he allowed the raptor to give into his instincts; after all, he couldn't quell them, and shouldn't try.

The golden stallion was grazing when he caught Heartfire's scent. He lifted his proud head, seeing the beautiful blue roan mare heading his way. Her white sabino markings stood out clear against the red season's backdrop, her white blaze accentuating the striking features of her face. Her speckled coat glistened with good health, her silky mane and tail blowing when a light breeze came by.

Aten dipped his head when Nerine's leader greeted him with a 'good morning' before requesting they take a walk together. The stallion briefly reached through the link to see if Turul was busy, and he sensed no impending anxiety from the falcon, indicating he was on the lookout for his prey and not in the position to hunt yet.

He quickly made his small request for Turul to be within reach of Lethia and her foals should she need anything, glancing in the direction he'd last left the pretty buckskin, Owin, and Popinjay, before turning his almond gaze back to Heartfire.

"Good morning to you Heartfire. I am glad to see you are in good health," he offered as he fell in step beside the mare. She clearly had a reason for coming here today, he could see it in her eyes.

"I am hoping to hear that things in Nerine are in good states as well."

@[Heartfire]

That is great; Aten will be happy to see her again Smile

She is met by a friendly greeting, allaying any doubts she might have had (though it’s true if she does have them, they are never acknowledged). Still, she might have explained the situation to him sooner. Foolishly however, she had held out hope that her grandson and his consort’s motives were as pure as they claimed. She should know better than that, but she is, regrettably, not infallible.

As Aten falls in beside her, acquiescing to her request for him to walk with her, she remains silent for several long heartbeats. Ostensibly, if asked, she might say it is so she can gather her thoughts and frame them properly. While that does have truth in it, it also has just as much to do with long-held habit, disinclination to divulge sensitive information, and a keen desire to thwart any potential listeners.

Of course, in this instance, she has little choice but to do so. She cannot do everything alone, and there must come days she makes a conscious decision to place her hard-earned trust in others.

“Nerine is as it always has been,” Heartfire finally replies, her non-answer answer enough. She suspects Aten has developed enough of an understanding of her to know she, and therefore Nerine, are never truly resting. “For the time being, at least.” The last qualification offers a rather blunt segway into her purpose here. Her blue eyes cut sharply to Aten as she continues forward in an almost relaxed manner. “Unfortunately this is more than just a social visit.”

Not that she is particularly well known for her social acumen as it is.

After another breath of silence, she continues, her voice low, almost thoughtful. “How much of their plans have Lepis and Wolfbane divulged to you?”

Not enough, she knows. But she would hear it for herself.

Heartfire
    There was a tense silence to the air as Aten and Heartfire walked side by side for a few dozen strides, the stallion watching the mare with piqued interest to see how her stature would change. She finally decided to talk to him, taking a few breaths first.

Aten did understand her answer, in a sense. He suspected that Nerine wasn't facing any crisis right now, but that the kingdom was merely a reflect of it's Queen. He'd never known Heartfire to rest; she was always on the move, always interested, looking into signs of trouble to make sure her kingdom was safe.

And then she confirmed Aten's suspicions, so the golden stallion waited for the inevitable question. When Heartfire asked, Aten sighed.

"Unfortunately, not as much as I would have liked. Wolfbane did not tell me much; I got the bulk of my knowledge from Lepis. She has said that she has plans to move to other kingdoms in search of alliances, in search of a 'greater goal' that has to do with Gale's death during the war with Tephra. I suspect she has an agenda to make a move on Tephra once she has enough of a force behind her.

"She also has plans regarding Nerine, if she didn't give you all the details. She wishes to either move the seat of power from Nerine to Taiga, or to give our territory over to Castile and Loess if you don't hand it over yourself. In my opinion, neither of those is a good option, looking into the possible long run."

@[Heartfire]

She remains silent as he informs her of the plans Lepis had shared with him. She had shared a great deal it seems, but ultimately, not the most important piece of her ideals. Had Lepis not chosen to bring her squabble to them in such a manner, Heartfire might have been more inclined to treaty with her. But she hadn’t. And as the false comtesse would no doubt soon learn, Heartfire is not a woman to be crossed lightly.

After he finishes, she considers for a moment before affirming, “That’s correct.” Her gaze shifts almost thoughtfully to the landscape as the walk silently for a few paces. “She made that very overture to me,” she finally continues, eyes cutting back to the red stallion. “Or rather, threat. As you can imagine, I didn’t take kindly to it.”

She stares at him for a moment, considering Aten baldly before adding bluntly, “That is not where her plans end though.” The words are sharper now. Harder. “Her goal is Beqanna.”

A small, icy smile flashes briefly across her lips as she says that, though it is as humorless as her stony blue eyes. “You can understand then, why I cannot let that happen.” She slows then, coming to a halt as her gaze fixes meaningfully on her companion. “I intend to ensure Taiga is placed back in your keep, if you will pledge your aid when the time comes.”

Heartfire
    So it seems that Lepis had spoken to Heartfire, and in detail about her plans for Nerine's throne. Aten restrained his anger, knowing it would not help the situation right now. He had to listen to what other information Heartfire had; it would obviously be important.

And of course Heartfire wouldn't be pleased by Lepis' 'threat'; no leader would.

But then Heartfire grew serious, moreso than when she had first arrived to speak with Aten. The golden stallion felt a chill run through his blood; Heartfire only ever grew to look like this when the matter she spoke of could mean either a very life-threatening situation, or consequences.

And, sure enough, it was something that Aten began to suspect ever since he spoke with Lepis. Just the way she'd told him her plan, he suspected it wouldn't stop there. Heartfire confirmed it, her sharp, icy words cutting through Aten's exterior facade.

"Her goal is Beqanna."

Aten didn't often show emotion, feeling that maintaining a strong facade would do well in hiding what one's opponent might try to use against them. He'd encountered stallions before who had tried to pry information out of Aten on if he had a mare or a herd in the area. At the time, the golden stallion had not, but he maintained the emotionless facade so that the enemy stallion wouldn't be able to figure out the truth. He'd gotten some battle scars in the process, but it did well to train him for the future.

Especially since he now had a mate and the foal stirring in her belly to protect. And he would do anything for them; he loved Lethia, of this he was now certain, and grew to love the foal before it even reached it's third moon, shortly after Lethia informed him that she was carrying their foal.

Aten fixed Heartfire with a steely gaze of his own, not emotionless this time, but fearless, ready to take on any task it would take, "Of course I understand, and any who would think I would let that happen are foolish."

Heartfire stopped right after he said that, and turned to him, informing Aten she would ensure Taiga was placed back in his care if he pledged his aid to her. If Aten had any slim fraction of doubt, it was only directed at what exactly Heartfire might have him do if he agreed to his end of the bargain.

But at the same time, he doubted it would be anything malicious.

"I only want to keep Taiga and her residents safe. Whether or not that ever meant the leadership would come back to me, it didn't matter. I will give you my aide when you need it Heartfire; you have stood by the alliance of the two kingdoms. I can only show my respect by doing the same and helping how I can."

@[Heartfire]

Had Heartfire not already been quite certain she could place faith in the red stallion before her, she would not be here. She rarely does anything without a great deal of certainty that it is the correct course of action. So Aten’s response to her brutal admission comes as no surprise. She had revealed that information because she had known Aten would not react kindly to it.

Lepis might feel certain of her hold on Taiga, but Heartfire understands very well just how tenuous it is. The comtesse would have done well to understand the same. Of course, it is to Heartfire’s benefit (and ultimately Taiga’s) that she had not.

Still, one could never be too certain. It was a fault Lepis suffered from. One Heartfire is quite determined not to also fall victim to. To that end, Aten’s affirmation is reassuring, and one she is glad enough to hear. She could never claim to be the most forthcoming of women, despite her disinclination towards lying. But here, she felt sharing more far outweighs the benefits of sharing less.

“I’m glad to hear it Aten,” she replies, her voice settling easily back into it’s normal, unaffected cadence. “I have no desire to bring war to Nerine or Taiga, and will do what I can to prevent it.” She pauses then, her gaze remaining firmly on Aten, bald honesty in the startling clarity of the blue hue. “However, Lepis is… not the most amenable sort. And I cannot say what she will choose to do or what tensions she’ll choose to pluck.”

Heartfire
    "Your avoidance of war is greatly appreciated," Aten stated with a minor joking tone, "I doubt it would do any horse well."

He listens to her, understanding her words about Lepis, before he questions her in turn, "What can I do in the meantime? Whatever plans you have for now, I don't wish to feel like I'm sitting and waiting for an order. Is there anything I can do to help with how things are now?"

@[Heartfire] sorry for how short it is, but now I feel it's mostly dialogue for the remainder since Aten needs information

Truthfully, Heartfire rarely holds much respect for the warmongering sort. But she is a firm advocate of being well prepared for any eventually.

Which, ultimately, is why she is here.

One corner of her lips twitch at Aten’s wry comment. She doubts the possibility of death suits any horse well. Unless of course, one is impervious to it’s grip. Still, there are very few who are truly unkillable, so most would do well to have a healthy respect.

“Gather what information you can. If you can do so without raising flags, stall any meetings she might have,” she replies after a moment of thought. “Continue to be Taiga’s champion. Lepis does respect that much, at least. She already knows you do it for Taiga and not for her. And if her shortsightedness causes her failure to realize that means ousting her,” she shrugs briefly, though her eyes gleam with faint humor, “then the loss and regret will be hers alone to bear.”

Heartfire