• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  We Must Have A Talk [Heartfire]
    A day the stallion feared would come had arrived... and he was not the least bit happy about it. That was just putting it mildly; if he were being truthful, he was downright furious. Over his travel, it had gotten to the point that enough heat came off his body so the grass beneath his hooves was a singed brown color, leaving a clear trail behind.

When he finally figured out what was happening, the stallion had to work to calm himself down, and it was a struggle given the rage building in his heart. But he couldn't approach Nerine like this... he didn't want to be seen as a threat.

But it wasn't just anger festering... he was scared, frightened for his family, who he had left in Taiga's woods to make this journey. The knowledge of Castile's presence and Lepis' stepping down to leave a colt in charge worried Aten to no end, for he didn't know what fate had in store for his loved ones. His beautiful mare, Lethia... the four foals they raised... the spirited Poppy, the dashing Owin, the spirited Kalil, the strong Orion...

Aten would do anything to keep them safe. And the nature inside him knew that too. Which is why his temperature had begun to rise the more he thought of his family's safety, hoping that nothing would happen even though he'd left Turul behind to watch over them.

The stallion made the journey to Nerine alone, intent on speaking with Heartfire. When he reached the border, he marched right on past, not stopping to take customs into account. He was too focused right now... he had to see her, get to the bottom of this matter before shit hit the fan...

When Aten was far enough inside Nerine's land, he called out to the roan mare, not stopping to wait patiently but continuing on in the hopes that, if she heard him and then saw him, she would hurry over to hear what he had to say.

@[Heartfire] short little intro, but Aten has got some words to say.

She's got the devil's eyes

Over the past several weeks, it had become increasingly and more glaringly obvious that her plans had been set askew. And that the reason rested on the visit Lepis had paid her. In the wake of the realization, anger had begun to simmer. A soul-deep anger that stemmed from long-buried (but hardly forgotten) injustices. A reminder of ancient injuries that served to open fresh wounds.

But she is not a woman to act brashly. And so, she had waited. But now, as she watches Aten rush over her borders, she knows time is up. Not her time, of course.

A leap of anticipation quickly quelled surges through her as she turns to meet the chestnut stallion. His anger is palpable in more ways than one, and she cannot blame him. But she knows just how to direct that anger.

Her features are still and unreadable as she intercepts him. To the untrained eye, she would no doubt look just the same as she always did. She sported the same, icily inscrutable expression, the same sharpness to the blue of her eyes. But if one looked more closely, the suppressed rage could almost be felt vibrating through her. A distinct tingle of destructive energy that would give anyone with sense pause.

“Aten,” she greets, her voice low and without inflection. “I take it this visit means Lepis has finally done something?”

and they'll cut you like a weapon

Heartfire
    Just as the rage was building within Heartfire, so was Aten's. His blood was boiling and raising his temperature, his skin by now hot to the touch and his hooves almost leaving singed prints in the ground as he ran. His breath was also warm, but Heartfire was standing far enough away that she wouldn't be able to feel it.

"My reason for coming should be obvious," he began, but struggled to keep his voice calm. He felt one potential future civil ground, if not friendship, was ruined; he didn't want to ruin another. He needed at least one ally, especially with the changes on the horizon. If he couldn't trust Heartfire with this matter, then there would be no one on the mainland. And he definitely wouldn't trust Castile.

There was another option, but if they could avoid the journey and stay on the mainland, he would feel better.

"Castile has moved in on Taiga and named himself it's King as a territory of Loess. Lepis all but handed it to him, and placed Pteron on it's seat of leadership. The only reason I'm not doing anything is because I don't have the force to back it up, and we both know the power Castile has within Loess."

He stopped for a breath, his tongue affecting his speech as he felt his throat grow hot from the fire building in his chest.

"I'm at a crossroad here Heartfire. Lepis named me her heir, but I doubt she'll go against Castile because I know he doesn't trust me. And I know she knows that too. Pteron may have it now too, but I don't think Castile will leave him in the leadership for long; he'll want someone under his hoof to move in, someone who won't question his motives and wants to keep Taiga a Loessian territory. Nerine might be vulnerable now too... Taiga won't be part of it, I don't think Castile will allow it's residents to defend Nerine from danger either.

"I am unsure of where to move from here now... I don't want my loved ones in danger, and Wolfbane is growing more dangerous too. I fear he may eventually do something to Lethia and our foals...

"Heartfire, I trust you, I still do, and I won't lie and say I have no respect for Lepis, because I do. I can't forget the good she has done for Taiga. She didn't get it into the middle of this power struggle. The blame does not solely rest on one horse, and there have been threats of destruction from both sides. But I have promised to help you... I won't abandon my word. Perhaps Castile will choose to talk to me one day, and maybe his Taiga" - how Aten hated say that - "won't turn out a complete mess, but that is a lot of hope riding on a future dominated by a horse who marched in and thought he could take Taiga without a fight.

"I will stay within, I will protect Taiga, but I have a favor to ask of you. I love Lethia... and our foals... should something happen within Taiga, or others threaten to hurt them... I want to know if they can come somewhere safe. I'd like to know they can come here... have a safe place to call home and escape any danger that might be heading Taiga's way..."

@[Heartfire] most likely, Aten is also going to end up revealing his new ability; he'd like to let Heartfire know to show he does trust her and hope she will help with Lethia in case Taiga goes sideways.