• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

The secret of walking on water; Neverwhere

Eurwen
    the secret of walking on water
    is knowing where the rocks lie
    The spotted mare is indeed lost in thought, for the facial expressions of Neverwhere’s impatience pass by her without being seen. Perhaps that’s a good thing, perhaps it’s not. Either way she still feels like telling the story of the ones before them to the silver dappled mare, who with a bit of squinting and a lot of distance (like, enough not to hear her) might just be her sister.

She snaps back to the present, her deep brown eyes taking in the mare. Yes, same scowl her sister and grandmother had. Splendid. She’ll do well here.

”Nerine was born from the former Jungle, founded by Amazons and inhabited by many of those who had lost their way to the Jungle as well. The Amazons had always been well-known for only letting women rise in their ranks, and only the best of them achieve a high place among their diplomats, generals, and queens.” She tells Neverwhere. Quick and to the point, she pauses for breath only a litte. Perhaps the Amazons will resonate with the mare, perhaps they won’t, but she doesn’t give herself time to assess, seeing as she knows she has reached the limit of the dappled mare’s patience. ”Nerine recruited only the strong from the meadows - strong at heart - and flourished. It was Nerine’s support to Brennen, a male general, that allowed him to found the Brotherhood - Nerine’s sister kingdom - in Ischia at the time. They called themselves Krakens, Nerinians becoming Leviathans. Then a magical Plague struck Beqanna, and they merged into one.”

Short breath. ”I was born just after the Plague started. My father was one of the former Krakens, and he fought for Icicle Isle at the time. It became a territory of Nerine under his rule, as well as Taiga which was sort of a free, neutral land, though officially Nerine’s. They asked to be left alone, and they were few in numbers, so they were - and we would have our safe distance-buffer to the rest of the world. The North as we became, was a stronghold that none would dare threaten, just as the three other Kingdoms in Beqanna were founded in a similar way.”

She shakes her head. ”I went on a few quests to help find the cure for the Plague, and then I fell very ill. I can’t tell you more of what happened after we Cured the world, but I guess you already know more about Taiga’s recent events than I.”

The spotted mare looks to the bald-faced mare with a curious face. Would any of this help the political climate in the future? Perhaps she would now understand why keeping Taiga had felt crucial to Heartfire. Without it, it would have been like having stone walls with open gates to the Loessians.

Messages In This Thread
    RE: The secret of walking on water; Neverwhere - by Eurwen - 12-26-2019, 08:44 AM