• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[PQ - in progress] between the lines of fear and blame
    The Mountain is not his destination, but rather a deviation. A necessary one, the brindle stallion thinks, critical to the rest of his journey.

When he had first come here, climbing the mountain at the cusp of adolescence, he had not been sure what he truly searched for. His memories? His family? His purpose? He had not found those things at all, and instead been tasked with discovering the answer to questions that he had not yet been ready to ask. He had balked at first, and spent the better part of year as though he had never been to the Mountain at all.

And then, just as he had been ready to put his quest from his mind, Eyas had arrived. With her came answers: the names of his family, his history, everything he’d forgotten. That had led him Loess, where he had been spurned by the woman he had been sure was his mother. The fury in her eyes burns him still when he allows himself to dwell on it. So he rarely does. More months passed in the quiet resort, peaceful months broken only be occasional run-ins with the other residents. Only one has stuck with him as a portion of what the Fairy had tasked him with, and at first he had thought that was only so because he had told Divest of the task. And yet, as winter bled into spring and summer creeps ever closer, he has come to realize that it was more than that.

So now he comes to the Mountain, intending to make his way to Loess despite the hurt that he can so recently recall. Gale has things to tell the fairies, answers to the questions that he had been asked, and then asked himself.

He once more climbs to the peak of the Mountain, to the place where he has seen the tiny creature who had commanded him come back and tell her what he has learned. She is not there, at least not to his eyes, but he speaks regardless, certain that she will hear him.

“I did as you asked, and the questions I asked of you I have answered on my own.” Admitting his own fault is not difficult; he has always known he was flawed. “I know my family now – their names at least – and I mean to find them now. More importantly, I’ve learned that I am more than the family and the history that was lost to me. Others have their families taken from them, or choose to leave those families. I did neither, and yet still I was without them. But I can make my own family, I see that now, of friends and companions.” Of a lover and children, he does not add, because speaking of his dreams to the fairies without sharing them with the woman in question feels far too much like tempting fate. They will still understand, he thinks. Surely they would.

“Thank you for making me find this myself,” he tells the intangible creature. “I grew too comfortable wallowing in my amnesia, allowing it to drive me when I should have been defeating it.”

Thread with Divest
    Thread with Eyas
    Thread with Cormorant (less on topic, but he does ask about parents!)

@[Wysteria Fairy]

Messages In This Thread
    between the lines of fear and blame - by Gale - 12-08-2019, 03:36 PM
    RE: between the lines of fear and blame - by Gale - 03-30-2020, 02:04 PM