• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  a shadow in paradise

The last year has been a blur because I’ve just been so happy that everything has felt like a dream. I did not know it was possible to love anything as much as I love the two little foals I helped bring into this world.

It still doesn’t quite feel real and at the same time it feels like I am finally living. Like all these years I have just been a phantom and it took two purple foals to turn me into something of flesh and blood.

I am thankful, as well, for the sweet mare that created this family with me. For her kindness in letting me actually be a part of it. Did you know this is the first time I haven’t been chased off by a family member? Pretty cool, right? It’s not like we’re married or anything but there’s a special level of friendship, I think, for whatever we are.

I have greatly been enjoying staying in Ischia, though I’m starting to worry that I will not be welcome now that Donny and Millie are growing up. It’s something I’ve been meaning to ask, a fear that’s been present ever since they were born if I’m being honest. As soon as I resolve to ask Eva the next time I see her, don’t I just come around the bend on the beach and spot the very same mare.

Seeing her always brings a smile to my face, whatever worries are going on in my head, and I don’t waste any time in going over. I stand out a lot in this bright, sunny place so I’ve taken to decorating myself with tropical flowers - or letting the kids do it for me. Today I have been draped in plus magenta flowers and I gotta say, they compliment my complexion very nicely.

“Eva! How are you today?”

artwork by space1993

@[Eva] but also @[donny] and @[Millicent] are welcome to crash if they want <333
    your waves are pulling me under
    i'm caught in your riptide
    She couldn’t imagine the last year—even the last few years—to be any better. The last year had been filled with wonderful memories. Moments she would always cherish.

Eva is only realizing now that these last few years have gone by TOO fast! Her oldest son, Aeolus, was now a fully grown adult. She couldn’t imagine that her sweet Loire would be one too next spring.

How did it all past by so quickly? She thinks to herself as a soft smile curls on her thin soft lips. The purple nereid couldn’t imagine seeing her two oldest children leaving Ischia. Aeolus was certainly drawn to live his days out in the open waters and perhaps remain close to one of the islands in Beqanna. However, Loire seemed eager to make her way to other parts of Beqanna—somehow the water had become a frightening place for her.

At least she still had her youngest twins to hold onto for a little longer. Eva loved the newest addition to her family. She especially loved sharing it with her friend Velkan. He was even eager himself to be part of the family, and she couldn’t fathom Donny and Millicent having a better father than Velkan. Overall, he was wonderful in every way.

Perhaps she would consider having another one next season. Eva certainly loved having little ones to look after and care for. Nah! She says with a shake of her head and laughing softly. The purple mare was truly enjoying her freedom by not having another foal this year. Maybe she would just hold off on a little longer. After all, she had some other plans and things she wanted to attend to.

Out of the corner of her eye, the nereid spots the black-antler stallion. Her smile instantly grows as she sees the beautiful array of tropical flowers arranged all over him. Their children certainly loved decorating Velkan with flowers found throughout the island. She was glad Velkan didn’t mind at all—some of them indeed complimented him very well, especially the magenta flowers he had on today.

“Hello Velkan,” she greets warmly back to him. “I’m doing well today! How are you?” Her golden gaze flickers to the magenta flowers once more. “I must say that color looks great on you,” she adds with a grin before returning her gaze back to his.
    Eva
    the dame of ischia

@[Velkan]
    Profile | Detailed Bio | Character Reference

This might come as a surprise, but I like Eva. I know! There’s been absolutely no indication whatsoever that I adore her, right? She’s been a wonderful friend and I don’t know that there’s anyone I would have rathered been a parent with. I mean, maybe Lilian but - considering we’re actually siblings (not that I know this), it’s probably a good thing that it ended up happening with Eva instead. Really just slid past a whole fiasco on that one.

Anyway, part of why I like Eva is the smile she gives me when she sees me. It’s so wonderful having friends??? Who would have thought!

I bounce a few delighted steps when she compliments my flowers before coming to a stop. I’d toss my head a little too but I’m worried about dislodging the ones on my head. “Right??? I think this place suits me.” And for one moment, my smile is as dazzling as the tropical sunshine above us.

But it falters and my dark gaze drops to the sand at our hooves. I’m too much of a coward to look at her when I ask this next question. I hadn’t meant to ask it - I was only halfway through my private rehearsals for this conversation and therefore am incredibly unprepared.

But the words bubble out of me, mumbled a little bit and possibly a little hard to hear since I’m speaking more to the sand than I am to her, but I pray she hears enough that I don’t have to repeat it.

A single, black hoof kicks at the sand as I speak. “Eva… when Donny and Milly are grown… can I still stay here? Would you mind?”

artwork by space1993
    A bright smile grows further on her lips as she watches her friend fill up with delight. Velkan certainly always made her smile. Evan knew without a doubt he would always find some way to cheer her up. Personally, she thought he sparkled more than the sun itself and that was saying a lot since Eva loved the sun and how it warmed her up every time.

“I couldn’t agree more,” she replies warmly and honestly. Velkan seemed all the happier living in Ischia since their children were born. She doesn’t recall a day that he had been sad either. Both of their days, with their two foals, had been filled with wonderful moments after all.

When her friend’s smile falters, her ears flicker forward and her own smile fades too. An expression of concern touches her finely chiseled features. Eva takes a step forward, wondering what could possibly change Velkan’s mood so quickly.

Eva is about to ask what is bothering him, but it is quickly blurted out of him in some sort of mumbling. Velkan kicks up some sand, and she retakes her step back. His voice had been quiet, but Eva had picked it up without trouble.

The sea mare is a bit surprised to hear the question. She had never thought of him leaving the island after the kids were gone. No certainly would have been her answers if he did try to leave!

Returning her step forward, she lowers her head towards him, and moving her own muzzle close to his. It seemed Velkan would have thought he needed to leave. She couldn’t help but wonder how much of this had been bothering him and for how long too.

“Oh Velkan,” she says warmly in a soft voice, “You are my dearest friend. I would never want you to leave Ischia.” Eva tells him the truth. He needed to know he was always welcomed here no matter what. “Even if you tried leaving, I would never let you,” she says flatly but it is hard for her to keep a straight face when she says that. A grin quickly stretches wide across her face.
    Eva
    the dame of ischia

@[Velkan]

It’s a good thing Eva hears what I say because I don’t think I would have had the courage to repeat it. I would have just had to go and run cartoon-style across the water to get away. It’s just so wacky because I know Eva is nice and she’s probably not counting down the days until our twins are old enough and then she’ll give us all the boot but the fears circle in my mind like vultures anyway.

They fade away, though, when she replies and moves closer. I’m careful with my muzzle, conscious of that slight beak to it, but I move to touch it gently to Eva’s - marveling at how this gesture of hers soothes me. How much kind words and kind touches affect me at all.

I breathe deeply, calming myself and the fears that had been ghosting my thoughts ever since I had first came to these islands, ever since I first found out that I was going to be a father.

I move to bump Eva gently with my muzzle again when she makes her joke about keeping me here and my smile is not hard to find after that, it returns like the sun moving from behind a cloud. It makes it easier to say the next bit, to be utterly honest for a moment - to explain to my dear friend why these worries had existed in the first place. “I’ve never been a part of a family before, not really. My mothers… when I wasn’t the monster they wanted me to be, I was chased out.” Which is the nice way to say ‘one of them tried to eat me and the other didn’t care enough to stop her’. Some details can be left out. “I never… never thought I would have a family or even a home.” I have to mentally stop myself from shrugging or laughing this painful truth off, reminding myself that it’s okay to show my vulnerabilities around my friends.

Still, that doesn’t stop me from continuing, my voice growing stronger at the same time as my grin. “But I am happy to be your prisoner here, Eva. Always.”

artwork by space1993

@[Eva]
    It was hard for her to see the black antlered stallion in such a way. Eva had never seen Velkan this way before. Never did it cross her mind that Velkan had thought and worried about his future on the tropical island.

She wouldn’t want him to leave ever. When Velkan had first come to Ischia to meet their children and stayed, she was filled with such joy. It was wonderful to have a friend around constantly. Truthfully, she had wanted even Aodhan to be around as much as Velkan had. Donny and Millicent both adored their father being around. It made her so happy seeing their faces light up.

However, she couldn’t say Aodhan didn’t try either. He did come and visit their children often when he could. When he did visit, he was a good father too. The nereid remembers well how Aodhan had taken upon himself to understand their son’s abilities more after hearing her own concerns about him.

A gentle smile tugs on her lips when Velkan bumps her nose softly. He breaths heavily, contemplating something the sea mare decides, but she does not move away from him. Velkan needed reassurance, and she would be there all the way to make sure he got it all.

He then bumps her muzzle again after her display of humor. A smile appears on his dark lips, Eva is happy to see any sad expression fade away from his dark features. There was no reason for him to doubt that he was going to be kicked out as soon as their children were grown up.

When Velkan begins to speak, she listens attentively as he explains why he had such worries about his current situation. Eva nods her head, understanding exactly why he would feel this way. The sea woman remembers a time where she did not have a family or even a home. It seems so long ago, but she knows how deeply it can feel that it might shatter in a moment.

“I understand why you would feel that way,” she replies, feeling she should be honest as well. “I used to never know what it was like to have a family or a home too. My mother died when I was born, so I didn’t grow up with any parents until I was about a year old when my adopted-mother Adria found me.” Her life had completely changed then when Adria brought her to Ischia. “She brought me here, to Ischia, and ever since then it has been my home.” Now she was a mother and guardian of her home.

Her smile widens as she hears her friend’s voice grow more confident. “Good!” She says with a soft laugh, bumping his nose lightly, and raising her head up. “You don’t have to worry about those things anymore. As long as I am here, you will always be part of my family and have a home.” The nereid says confidently, leaving no trace of doubt in her words.
    Eva
    the dame of ischia

@[Velkan]

Well aren’t we just having a great little life chat here? It’s distressing to hear that Eva knows the same pain I do, but also encouraging that she has been able to move past it and create a life for her. I mean she’s basically a queen!!! Not that I ever want to get into politics but it’s still pretty impressive. It warms me to know that I’m not alone, even though I do not wish my dear friend would have ever had to experience first hand the bothersome pain affecting me!

She bumps my muzzle again and I feel the sun shining on me with the affirmation that this can be - that this is my home. “Thank you, Eva.” I say with complete sincerity. For her kind words and for her honesty about her past as well.

Now that that’s out of the way, I visibly lighten. That had been the foremost rain cloud in my mind as of yet (there are other, stormier ones, but they are more about my past and who wants to deal with those issues???) and now that it was gone I felt lighter. Sure, I didn’t look any lighter but there really wasn’t anything I could do about that.

A twinkle does shine in those black eyes of mine when I glance out at the turquoise ocean before looking back to Eva. “So... I think I remember you saying something about loving to swim when we first met. What are the chances I could get you to give me a few pointers?” My attempts at learning on my own (I mean hey! I'm surrounded by fish horses) have not gone well. Did you know that you don't float very well when you're made entirely of bones?

artwork by space1993

@[Eva]
    Her heart fills with warmth when hearing Velkan’s sincere gratitude. Eva always wanted to ensure everyone she loved and cares for were happy. Without a doubt, the purple nereid would go beyond measure to make certain that they were. Velkan held a special place in her heart, he was one of her greatest friends and the father to her beautiful twin foals.

Noticing the atmosphere has become lighter around them, Eva finds herself relaxing once more. It was a beautiful day, why should anyone be sad? The purple nereid knew it was never a good idea to remain solely on thinking about the past, and such worries should always be discussed. Eva was more than willing to help find a solution. She didn’t want anyone to feel disappointed in themselves, especially if she could help her family and friends in any way that she could.

Her golden gaze remains on watching the black antlered stallion when his gaze turns to focus on the ocean. Her wide smile fades into a soft, small content smile. In this moment, she feels completely content here with her friend. The simple worries of leading Ischia and a good parent fade into the background.

When Velkan turns back to her with a twinkle in his eye and hears what he says next, the purple nereid’s smile grows once more. It spreads fast and wide across her finely curved profile. Her golden eyes glisten instantly, shining like the sun just above them today. “I would be happy to teach you how,” she offers with excitement. Doing anything with the water filled Eva with joy. It was the next best thing to her after being a mother.

The purple nereid moves towards where the seashore and ocean waves meet. Her strides are quickly paced and evident of her excitement. When the first waves of the water touch her front hooves, she turns back to Velkan with wild and bright eyes. “Well, come along!” She says inviting him to join her at her side.

When he does, the sea mare gently and slowly makes her way into the swallow part of the ocean. She turns around to see Velkan’s reaction and if he follows. “The only way you are going to learn is if you are in the water!” A musical sound of laughter follows after her words to the antlered stallion. “I promise I won’t let you drown. Just trust me.” But Eva knew she didn’t have to worry about gaining his trust, she already felt that her friend trusted her a great deal.

“My first tip is don’t be afraid. I’ll be right here if you need anything.” She says trying to offer some reassurance for him to come into the water. “You’ll soon enough find out why swimming is so great!”
    Eva
    the dame of ischia

@[Velkan]

I am utterly delighted by the enthusiam that Eva has taken to my request for a swimming teacher. I only hesitate for a minute before following her to where sand meets sea, but it’s not because I’m nervous. Okay, I am absolutely nervous about learning how to swim. However, I hesitate because I just need to take a moment to admire my friend. She comes alive near the water in a way that is wonderful and beautiful to watch. She is meant for the sea.

It is not difficult to love her, this dear friend of mine. Not one bit.

After that moment is over, I trot to catch up with her - feeling my nerves catch up to me now that the spell of the moment has broken.

Eva distracts me from my thoughts, pulls me into the present, and her laughter lightens my heart and my mind. If only it would do the same for my body! A small but bright chirp of laughter escapes me as well and I grin at her. “I trust you, Eva. Utterly and completely. What I don’t trust are these old bones of mine.” As I speak, I slowly wade into the water. The crystal-clear water isn’t chilly (thank goodness) and I move until it’s just above my knees before I finally hesitate. It’s hard to be afraid of the water when it is so beautiful, when there’s an even more beautiful friend right there with me to help me, but I do worry. Just a little.

“Did you know, the last time I tried to swim I sank?”

artwork by space1993

@[Eva]
    Eva knew the open water could be a scary place for anyone. It had not been that way for the purple nereid though. She was handcrafted for the open waters and born with a love of it. The sea had been her first home, and she finds nothing more than knowing she was meant to be part of it.

She wanted everyone to enjoy the water as much as she could. There was no fear in the water. Perhaps the depths of the ocean held predators of the sea, but in the swallow water there was nothing to fear.

The sea mare understands why her friend is nervous about swimming. New things are always scary in the beginning, but once you try it a couple of times it doesn’t seem so bad. Velkan just needed a little push and she was happy to be the one to do that.

When Velkan makes his way into the water, her smile lifts a little. She hears him talk about trusting her, which she is happy to at least know she has; however, it was not trusting himself to overcome his worries. Eva knew she could help with that.

“You’re going to have to trust yourself that you can do it,” she says when he stops knee-deep into the shallow waters in front of her. “I promise this time you won’t be sinking.” No one would be doing that today. “I’ll be right here with you every step of the way,” the nereid says before moving forward to their lessons.

“The first step is to relax.” She says with a reassuring smile. “The next step is getting yourself moving. When you are swimming the key is to always keep your legs moving. Just think of it like you are walking on land, but with more powerful strides. Stronger leg movements will help you move through the water.” Eva then turns around and swims further into the open sea. “Let me show you,” she says as the water rises higher around her.

Feeling that the water-level around her is good enough, she glances to Velkan making sure he is watching. The water is crystal clear enough for him to see her demonstrate the movements. Eva shows him how to move his legs slowly and then in faster with stronger strides.

“It’s important to keep your head up when you are swimming too. If we are in the swallow parts of the water it’s no big deal, only when you are swimming in the deeper parts of the water should you try and keep your head up high,” she adds.

Finishing her demonstration, the purple sea mare swims back to where she previously was. Are you ready to try?” She asks with a smile. “I’ll be right by your side the whole time!”
    Eva
    the dame of ischia

@[Velkan]