• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  I've got my heart set on anywhere but here - litotes
    she wanted what every young heart wanted —
    for something beautiful to find her beautiful.
    She hadn’t known that a heart could break in a single moment.

The shock of Lie not being what she had thought, initially, was quick to wear off. The shock is overpowered by her confusion as she tries to understand the sharpness in her mother’s voice, and though her eyes look for his searchingly, his attention is locked on Starsin.

Lilt, lovely and naive and meek, has lived such a sheltered life, and has only ever known love. She has never before been the victim of her mother’s unforgivable stare; she has never before wanted to shrink until she disappeared, has never been so close to wondering if she could shatter herself into dust and let the wind take her away. She doesn’t understand the history between her mother and this man that she had unwittingly brought home. She doesn’t understand all the stepping stones her mother’s anger was built on, and that the anger is not really directed at her, or even Lie himself.

But in this moment it doesn’t matter, because all she can do is try not to wilt beneath her mother’s biting tone.

Starsin leaves, and though guilt blooms in Lilt’s chest – and she thinks she should go after her, that this was a choice she was supposed to make and of course she should choose her family – she is frozen next to the pale stallion. Abruptly, she steps to stand in front of him, blocking the view from where her mother had disappeared to. Her face is a storm of emotions, and she wears them plainly, hardly anything at all like the impenetrable wall that her mother could be. She looks at him, knowing that she is staring into the face of a stranger. She doesn’t know him, and she knows him even less than she had when she first met him, and somehow looking at him still felt like it was supposed to be home.

Her foolish, naive heart, now suffering from its first bruises, still desperately wanted his.

“I don’t want you to go,” her throat aches with the effort to control her tears, the ones that gather in the corners of her eyes and slip down her cheeks. “But if you leave, I’m going with you.”
    l i l t

Messages In This Thread
    RE: I've got my heart set on anywhere but here - litotes - by Lilt - 02-06-2020, 03:38 AM