• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

push me deep in the river and drown a part of me forever; sabbath and tarnished
    He finds oblivion in the sea. He finds breath where the briny water fills his lungs to bursting and the sunlight dances in the waves high above. He finds strength where the current mercilessly pulls him deeper and deeper still. 

The world is different here beneath it all where no kingdoms rule and Beqanna has forgotten. The sea is a wilderness untamed - a place where monsters hunt and sleep.

He was born on land - his mother a serpent beauty - his father unknown (at least to him). He likes to think his father is the sea. In a way, he isn’t wrong.

As much as the ocean calls him - pulls him deep beneath - he always spits him out again because his mother calls him too, back to Tephra, back to his family.

There are newborns in his mother’s den. He keeps his distance, knowing how protective Sabbath is likely to be. Instead, he calls soft and low in a voice like the deep churning of ocean waves.

“Are you there, mother?”

@[Sabbath] @[Tarnished]
    SabbatH
    i'll let you play the role. i'll be your animal.
    Watching Prayer die before her eyes has made her more bitter and paranoid than usual. She leaves the twins only when she is certain that they are safe – when Tarnished or the magicians are nearby to watch over them. Today she remains tucked away in her little den of wild grasses and spring flowers when she hears someone approaching. The serpent woman bristles and she steps in front of the younger children, eyes narrowed and head lowered like a dog preparing to bite. But the voice that calls out for her is a familiar one.

Dacre. Her boy.

Her ears perk and she hurries forward to meet him, eagerly curling her neck over his in a soft embrace. He always smells of kelp and salt when he comes home and she loves to breathe him in. Sabbath ignores the way her jaw aches when she kisses his face like he’s still a small child to her. Eucharist snorts behind her, jealous of her affections for his elder brother. The boy edges forward from the den but he is very careful to keep himself positioned behind his mother. His scaled wings fidget uneasily as he peers around her hip at him.

Dacre, my perfect boy, I’m so glad you’re here,” she says with a smile weighed heavily by grief. “So much has happened I.. I don’t know where to begin.

And she steps back both to give the kelpie son some space while also making it easier to see Eucharist.

Dacre, this is your brother Eucharist, and in the den is your sister Reign. Eucharist, this is-

“I know who he is,” the little pegasus chirps, his small chest puffed out in some feigned bravado. He skims their thoughts and pieces the clues together faster than their tongues can explain. Sabbath exhales slowly and nudges his small cheek.

Family is all we have in this life. Be kind to them above all others,” she warns him before kissing his forehead and turning back to Dacre. She avoids his gaze as she gathers the strength to break the news to him. They had never been close, as siblings, but Sabbath has always loved them with every shred of her heart. The sun did not rise if one of them was not near her. “Prayer is gone. One of our own took her down.
    @[Tarnished] @[Dacre]
    He knows there is something wrong when she comes to him - something that hides behind her lips as she kisses the center of his forehead as she had done so many times when he was young. He can almost feel the pain that lies behind her smile as she pulls away to look at him. The guilt of being gone - disappearing as he does into the arms of the sea - stings like urchin venom on his tongue.

He cannot explain the hurt he feels each time he comes home. Each time he leaves he misses more and more, but he cannot help the pull of the sea like the waves can’t help the pull of the moon. His armored scales quickly dry and become itchy when he is away from the water for too long. He used to wonder as a child why his mother’s scales were more adapted to life on land. He remembers coming home to the den caked in mud in an effort to ease his discomfort. He hadn’t been much older than the colt that peers at him from behind their mother.

Dacre offers that awkward smile that is always toothy and far too wide. Dacre had been less confident than Eucharist seems to be when he was his age. Although, Dacre never had the ability to read minds. He imagines knowing the thoughts of others might have helped him understand the things he saw as a child casting furtive glances from behind his mom - that maybe he could have been more helpful when his mother confronted Adna and Bethlehem in the forests of Taiga that day. But even still, he was just a boy wobbly on his legs.

“It is nice to meet you, brother.” he says with a gentle dip of his head.

Sabbath turns to him again, her eyes downcast as she tells him his sister is gone. Dacre cannot help but clench his needle teeth so hard they threaten to break beneath the instantaneous pain he feels at her words.

It’s in their blood to feel their emotions deeply - to call for blood when someone has wronged them - to gnash teeth before reason has a chance to quell the passion in the hearts. He may not have been close to Prayer, but this… this hurts.

He wants to hurt it back.

“Who?” he manages to ask as he brushes his nose across his mother’s wetted cheek.

@[Sabbath]