• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

a monster waddles in; Ruthless

Finally, Fiorina is in the right place. She should not have gotten lost but the detour ended up being amusing. She should not have gotten lost, that is, because she actually had been here before when she had made sure Ruthless was safely home after Lilliana played the martyr (that battle being essentially lost still made the armoured mare annoyed).

She’ll blame the little rugrat growing within her belly for the lateness of this visit, and for the fact that she had gotten lost (an embarrassing thing to happen to any hunter, even someone who only hunted occasionally). Spring was just around the corner and soon would come the painful ordeal of having a gremlin chew through her side - a not exactly out of the question manner of birth in her family.

A great redwood forest rises before her, twisting with fog, and Fiorina takes a moment to think about how this is very much not a taiga before she calls out for Ruthless. She hopes the little bird is home, hopes she is doing well, just as much as she hopes that this odd sense of fondness for the young girl will fade away and leave her in peace.

Still, the diversion from the “family plan” of living in Pangea and being nuisances was welcome, she supposed.

FIORINA

art by dozymare

@[Ruthless]

if you do not have shadows,
    you are not in the light

The call is foreign and hard to place, yet it clings to Ruthless like a stubborn bur. It pulls her closer and closer until the smell of Fiorina molds into the presence of her.

“You too?” She glares at the protruding belly evidently larger and rounder than their last interaction. She would rather clutch in the grasp of Wolfbane than feel the slap of yet another mare so important and useful pregnant

And at a time like this?

The root to maturity seems a mystery and her small, ignorant mind cannot grasp the concept of motherhood.

Unfortunately for her, Fiorina stood high amongst the horses she awed for; pregnant, or not.

“Do you think she did the right thing?” The question grows with a fiery rage that explodes from her mouth with a merciless burn; the words held on boil too long.

An itch sings at the side of her shoulder and her head whips to mute the song, a wild mane of tangled cream vines falling with gravity as it is tossed violently. She has distanced herself, it’s evident in her nonchalant demeanor. Her heart has surrendered to reality.

She looks beautiful with angst.

Ruthless

Fio rolls her eyes at the less-than greeting she receives from Ruthless, but there’s a crack of a smile all the same. “An accident, I assure you.” Not that the making of the little gremlin was an accident, that had been very much intentional, but the swelling of her sides was certainly not the outcome she had hoped for. A few moments of bliss had been the extent of what Fiorina had wanted out of her encounter with the dappled stallion. She does not mention to young Ruthless that the father is someone they both know - the very same Larva that backed out of the fight with Wolfbane. Although Fiorina does hold that little act against him, she cannot deny that it had probably been the smartest move.

The little fledgling before her is harder than the last time they had seen each other, though she doesn’t suppose that’s surprising. It is definitely the hormones talking when Fio realizes she mourns a little for this change.

The biting words that come from her are not hard to translate, and Fio takes her time in answering. “I do.”
    There is no softness to the words, no blunting of their edges. Her voice, her entire self, is not made to be soft. Which is why her fondness for the girl before her is very, very inconvenient. Black, emotionless eyes watch Ruthless and the restless, twitchy anger that seems to be boiling out of her even as she turns at an itch.

When she continues to speak, her gaze does not flicker away - it remains focused on the girl before her, wanting to drink in every tick and reaction. “I don’t understand a lot of the subtleties of relationships and my weapons are what you can see plainly. I would have used them to continue to fight for you two that day out of the sheer joy of it - but Lilliana fought for us, for you with the weapon she held and it worked.”

And then, because she can’t decide whether she wants to ease the girl or help her jump off the ledge, Fiorina follows her response up with a question of her own. “Are you mad at her for it?”

FIORINA

art by dozymare

@[Ruthless]
    (03-17-2020, 06:22 PM)Ruthless Wrote:

if you do not have shadows,
    you are not in the light

An accident, is it truly that easy? Are even horses like us at risk of contracting a pregnancy? Ruthless makes a note to ask Lilliana later, softening the inner stir of anxiety beginning to rise in her chest.

“Well that must be inconvenient,” she responds absently instead, suddenly wanting to move on and forget about the whole pregnancy thing altogether.

I am not having children. I am not accidently getting pregnant.

Her answer is unsettling, moving a cowardly surrender to a calculated tactic. A weapon even, but Ruthless fell victim to her subjective emotions. And she couldn’t help but wonder if Fiorina is right, that perhaps a surrender to one is a victory to another.

But is that what heroism is? Surrendering for peace instead of fighting for justice?

“Am I mad at her?” She repeats, scoffed at the question but not entirely even sure herself. Is she? Does the constant ache in her heart and drag in her step mean she is angry?

Or has she just come to terms with what life really is?

“No—”, she finishes though her tone still meek and unsure, “—but yes? I am mad at myself.”

Lilliana wouldn’t have offered herself if she hadn’t been fearful for the outcome of Ruth, it had dawned on her after hours of walking back to the safety of her kingdom that evening in the field. Fiorina may have even fought Lilliana if she knew Ruthless could deliver if it came to it.

Ruthless

It was inconvenient to be pregnant, and utterly disgusting all at the same time. But she is happy to let the topic change so Fiorina grins but says nothing more. No point in getting graphic or scaring off the little bird more than necessary. Not about pregnancy, at least.

There’s plenty of other subjects to spook her on and Fiorina is in no rush to get through them all today.

She tilts her head like a curious bird as Ruthless considers her question - her black eyes are entirely focused on the younger mare. She’s relaxed, as relaxed as she can be anyway, and there’s something close to amusement in her expression. It feels as though something is coming to the surface in her young friend - all she has to do is spear it with the knife on her tail and help bring it to light.

Perhaps there is a fighter in this girl after all.

“Good.” The word is blunt - Fiorina does not know how to be delicate. “You can use that anger to help yourself learn.” That idle amusement has sparked into more obvious interest. “When up against a… creature like the one in the field it is difficult to win no matter what - but you can still learn to defend yourself, defend others, against more mortal enemies.”

FIORINA

art by dozymare

@[Ruthless] I know this reply is super late so you don't have to feel obligated to reply! <3