• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[open]  Sometimes life seems too quiet-any

H A L C Y O N
    no better version of me
    i could pretend to be tonight

The scent of her fear is not as strong now that he does not have use of his predator's nose, but Halcyon does not doubt that it is still there, not when her muscles remain tense and her voice still wavers. He feels for her, discomforted by the ache of his own heart that he cannot remove the terror of their meeting or whatever else there is that haunts her behind those unseeing eyes. It's only when her ears decide to reveal themselves from the dripping wet bed of mane at her poll and her nostrils begin to quiver more intensely that Halcyon sees something other than outright fear wash over her sky-painted face.

What are you?

He balks before answering, distracted by the depth of the question (but does she truly wish to know how he struggles between horse and beast?) and, in equal measure, by the quiver of her lower lip. The boy decides to provide her an answer that, above all other possibilities, would hopefully give her some level of comfort.

Oh, if only she could see the awkward and meek boy before her.

"Well, I suppose I'm a horse," Halcyon says, but it feels awkward, and he offers the woman a sheepish grin despite her inability to see it, "But I can shift into a tiger. That's how I'm most comfortable, really, but ─ but I'm not dangerous." He shifts again, uncomfortably, his brain registering again the unrelenting torrent of rain upon them. Clouds sweep across the woman's coat, broken again by lightning.

"It's nice to meet you, Jenger," he says, relief flooding into his tone that she has not simply run away from him post confession. Her last inquiry could, perhaps, be interpreted as rhetorical, but her tone brings laughter to his lips. "My Ma has a friend that wasn't born here, but I don't think I've met anyone younger who was born somewhere else..." He trails off, but is suddenly spooked by a particularly loud bout of thunder; his body flickers, his powers of invisibility taking over briefly. "Hey, maybe we should find some cover from the rain?"

@[Jenger*]

n | f

Messages In This Thread
    Sometimes life seems too quiet-any - by Jenger* - 03-29-2020, 11:42 PM
    RE: Sometimes life seems too quiet-any - by Halcyon - 04-01-2020, 11:32 AM