• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[open]  Sometimes life seems too quiet-any

H A L C Y O N
    no better version of me
    i could pretend to be tonight

Not a bad strange.

He smiles, sheepish, and lets his eyes fall on her lips. He's surprised to see that she is adorned with her own smile, that he could will Happiness into someone else, but finds that being the source of her smile warms his insides pleasantly.

He slows to a stop, but only briefly, until Jenger begins to walk again. It's easy enough to fall in step with her, though it's more difficult to maintain a respectable distance between them while fighting with this new, unfamiliar desire to be close. Halcyon steals another glance at her sky-painted face, though he dares not to linger too long in case she can feel his eyes on her.

He doesn't respond when she concedes to his inquiry and finds words for her emotions, but instead hums appreciatively ─ he knows the feeling well. Happiness, when someone else is laughing. He thinks to himself that he'd like to hear Jenger laugh, someday.

They arrive at the tree and are protected by the umbrella of its massive wingspan. All around them, the rain continues to fall, but they are shielded from the vast majority of the precipitation, and Halcyon concentrates more easily on his new acquaintance now that his attention is not being drawn to the rhythmic beat of drops across his pelt.

The tiger boy listens to her story, intrigued by the nomadic cycle Jenger describes ─ River, Forest, Meadow... She is dedicated, he thinks, to remain by her mother's side even though she, herself, is grown and independent. He doesn't attribute it to her blindness, though perhaps he should.

His ears fly forward when she laughs, and Halcyon can't help but mirror the sound with his own. It's a beautiful sound, just as he thought it would be. "The Meadow is peaceful," he tells her, fond of the land if only because it is not pulled into the politics of the kingdoms, "but a bit too cold for me, in the winter. Have you heard of Ischia?" Halcyon asks, a bit of hopefulness weaving into his words, "That's where I live. It's a tropical island, with lots of warm sand and a jungle ─"

He pauses, his feline eyes finding Jenger's unseeing ones once more, "When the tide is low, it's easy enough to cross to Ischia from the mainland. Maybe... maybe you would like to visit it, sometime? I could help you cross and... if your Mother wanted to come, too, I could help you both cross safely."

@[Jenger*]

n | f

Sorry for the wait!

Messages In This Thread
    Sometimes life seems too quiet-any - by Jenger* - 03-29-2020, 11:42 PM
    RE: Sometimes life seems too quiet-any - by Halcyon - 04-14-2020, 03:30 PM