• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[open]  i hear the voice of rage and ruin | lomasi + diplomats
    i feel
    a bad moon rising
    Lepis has never been to Tephra.

She makes no secret of this to Lomasi as the two mares make their way through Sylva, ever closer toward the Western kingdom. The forested land she knows well though, and there is no hesitation in her voice as she points out the more interesting landmarks in the Sylvan land. She’d lived here for a time, she tells the roan mare, even ruled it as a queen. She leaves out the darker parts of her story here, of course. Being comfortable passing through does not mean being entirely at ease after all. Eventually, the canopy overhead begins to lose its vibrant red hue. Normal summer green grows more common, and as they pass the last brilliantly yellow maple, Lepis draws to a stop.

This is the no man’s land, she tells Lomasi, the border where it is common to wait and be found by a patrol. Lepis does call out to hasten their discovery, but then she falls quiet. She is grateful for the shade that the trees provide in the heat of summer. The dun mare shakes away her thick navy mane, a heavy burden on warm days such as these, and holds her wings a bit out from her sides for better air flow.

"Someone will find us soon," She tells Loess’ new diplomat. "For now we just have to wait. I have heard that the queen here is called Isilya, but I’ve not met her. She rules over the Island Resort and Ischia as well, though they have their own leaders – Ruinam and Eva, assuming they have not changed hands recently."

@[Lomasi] + Tephra Diplomat Peeps
    n | l
    The strawberry roan mare took in her changing surroundings as Lepis and herself journeyed to the island of Tephra, making mental notes of the lands they passed through. It came as no surprise to Lomasi  as the perlino tobiano mare spoke of her past rule of the land they were crossing. The red mare's hazel eye's watched Lepis' body language, though the dun mare looked at ease there was a sense that she was on guard as well. No wonder she was they queen, she made a wonderful leader.

The mares drew to a halt as they came to the end of the shaded canopy, that broke out into luscious greens from the fall colored hues from which they came. "If you do not mind me being so bold, what is the goal of this trip?" the strawberry roan questioned. Since Lepis had stated that she herself had not met the ruler of the island, Lomasi assumed this was a trip to form alliances.

The flower-draped mare often wanders the borders of Tephra, hoping to catch a new or a familiar face. She considered leaving her flower-and-leaf birds in the trees but it felt a little too much like spying. She didn’t need to know what everyone was up to - but she sure did like the chance to say hello whenever she could! That wasn’t so bad, right?

There isn’t always someone standing near the border but it’s an absolute delight whenever there is. Like today! And there’s not just one someone but two.  As soon as she spots them through the trees, Isilya is hurrying over - expertly navigating around trees and over stumps, hooves magically leaving not even a speck out of place or a blade so much as bent. “Hello there!”

Today her vines are decorated in bright purples and yellows (since she heard those are the colours butterflies like the most and is testing out the theory) and the blooms bounce a little with each step before she comes to a stop before the two mares. Her green and gold eyes shine with her usual smile as she dips her head in greeting - already sure that today must be a blessed one.

“Can I help you guys with anything? I’m Isilya.”

image by Reitro

@[Lepis]
    L E P I S
    i turned all the mirrors around
    They walk companionably, the yellow mare and the red one, and when they are settled in to wait and Lomasi asks about the purpose for their journey. Lepis pauses for a moment – not to think of a reason, but to better summarize – and answers.

“It’s best to know one’s neighbors, even those we might rather not be acquainted with.” She means places like Pangea, where evil festers so readily that Lepis has begun to wonder if it does not simply grow from the earth. ”I’ve heard little of Tephra in recent years, though they were once a powerful nation.”
    They might still be, of course, but their silence has given no indication. It was her recent run in with not one but two Tephrans that had spurred the journey here, after all. Will they run into Raul or Toivo, the pegasus wonders?

“Ideally Tephra will find a treaty of some sort agreeable, or perhaps an alliance between our lands.”
    That is not truly ‘ideal’, of course, but no sign of that flickers behind Lepis’ gaze. Instead, she smiles, and then looks up at the sound of hooves in the deep jungle. It’s a mare, young-looking or perhaps immortal, draped with vines that bloom yellow and purple. It is reminiscent of Leliana, and the memory of their last meeting brings a pang of discomfort to the dun mare. She drowns it, as she drowns all of the emotions relating to her former spouse, and is able to meet Isilya’s gaze without hesitation.

“Hello Isilya. I’m Lepis, the queen of Loess, and this is Lomasi, one of our promising diplomats-in-training.” The mare glances over at her companion encouragingly, and then back to Isilya, who has given her the perfect opening.

“I hear you have a healing waterfall,” Lepis adds. “I know someone in need of such a thing, and I was hopeful you might allow her to come here?” Lepis pictures the opalescent Sabra in her mind, the woman’s otherwise lovely figure pierced through the center with a wooden spear. Lepis isn’t sure exactly how magical the waters are, but surely anything is better than nothing. It pains her to see the other suffer, though she watches from afar and would surely never mention such a thing. “I’d also like to talk about the relationship between our kingdoms, and how we might each benefit the other.”

@[Lomasi]
    @[Isilya]
    n | l

The blue-striped mare makes the introductions - the queen from Loess herself! Isilya had often wondered if she should go around to meet the other rulers, but aside from curiosity (which she was easily distracted from) she had not had a real need. Perhaps she should have - though it was hard to be too remorseful because a wonderful opportunity had landed on her doorstep. A queen and a diplomat-in-training - truly a wonderful way to spend some time! “It’s so wonderful to meet you both.” And the cheer in her voice leaves little doubt that she means those words with all of her heart.

Concern darkens her expression when Lepis speaks of someone in need of the healing waterfall - and Isilya is quick to reply to the question. “Of course! The waterfall and Tephra is always open to those who do not mean this kingdom, or its inhabitants, harm.” There is a small moment of hesitation before she amends herself, her voice slightly apologetic. “I am not completely sure it will work for those that don’t call Tephra home, but perhaps if she has a resident with her it will.” Any small wounds Isilya takes from thorns or branches are instantly healed by virtue of her magic, leaving her porcelain and gold figure unharmed for the long years of her life.

Thinking of her magic brings another idea to mind that causes her smile to return. “If not, I have some skill in healing and might be able to help as well. But I can show you the way to the waterfall and you can tell me what you might be looking for in a relationship between our kingdoms?” She gestures to the jungle behind her, but does not move just yet - out of courtesy. Although this lush rainforest rejuvenates her and this is where she thrives, she understands that others might find the humidity suffocating - and she does not wish to make either of her new friends uncomfortable as they talk. That would not be a good first impression! Especially since she was so proud of how much like a queen she sounded for a moment there.

image by Reitro

@[Lepis]
    @[Lomasi] (skipping you to keep the thread moving, feel free to hop back in whenever! <33)
    l e p i s
    I never throught it was a question of whether
    The mare in front of them is cheerful in a way that is almost unfamiliar to Lepis. It is genuine and pure, and Lepis wonders if perhaps this mare might be exceptionally powerful. Exactly how, the dun is not sure, but the world that Lepis knows is a dark one. To survive so long and remain innocent she must have some way to intimidate her foes. Or perhaps she simply lives in a protected place, one that keeps enemies at bay? It is a puzzle, and one that grows in complexity at the welcome that the flower-haired monarch gives them both.

“Has your kingdom gone unharried these past years?” She asks curiously, moving to follow the taller mare as she leads the way to the waterfall. “Both North and South have been plagued with monsters, yet you seem so peaceful here, and welcoming even to strangers.” Lepis glances over her shoulder at @[Lomasi], encouraging the roan to join them. That she is surprised by the Tephrans relaxation Lepis doesn’t say outright, but there is little need to.

It occurs to her as they pass a flower with brilliantly red petals that perhaps Leliana had protected this place. The mage knew about the Curse, after all, and the abundance of colorful flora suggests that the plant mage still calls this place home. That could be advantageous.

“I was hopeful we might make the ceasefire that has existed between our kingdoms these last years into something official,” The dun mare says. “I’d like to propose a treaty.” There is something comfortable about slipping into this role of diplomat, something that she’s nearly forgotten while she has been so focused on laying a trap. “Open borders on our very long borders, with Tephrans welcome in Loess, and safe there as well. Perhaps our warriors can test their mettle against each other, and I know my son would appreciate the opportunity to play with more children.”

If he lives that long, is the chilling thought that follows.

Her face remains unchanged even with the unwelcome thought, and she forces herself to focus. She is doing all of this in the hopes that he will. She will not let herself think of other possibilities.

@[isilya]
    n | l
    The strawberry roan mare nodded her head as she listen to Lepis' answer. The dun mare was correct, it was best to know one's neighbors, especially if it could mean growth or trouble. Tephra seemed peaceful and beautiful from the outside, but what great secrets did the land hold with in Lomasi wondered as she continued to follow beside her queen, could Tephra become a strong ally, stay natural, or become a land Loess would have to keep watch of. The young red mare was taken from her thoughts at the approach of hooves.

Lomasi's hazel eyes latched on the approaching figure of a mare covered in purple and yellow blossoms. The mare called Isilya was gorgeous, the perfume of her blooms made her appearance all the more appealing. 

The strawberry roan could not help but feel a bit of longing in her heart, a longing to be something more. Since her first day, Lomasi had been surrounded by unique magical horses. Could she really be the best suited to be a diplomat since she was just a normal horse. The red mare didn't let the emotions of her thoughts show on her face especially when she heard Lepis mention her to Isilya. 

Lomasi dipped her head to Isilya at Lepis' introduction. Hazel eyes looked over the porcelain white mare standing in-front of Lomasi, seeing Isilya and Lepis standing near each other, they radiated an aura of great power. Her curiosity was peaked at Isilya's words, the healing water might not work for others who did not belong to Tephra.

The red roan mare followed slightly behind the two leaders listening to them exchange words. Lomasi was pricked her ears at Lepis' words, she has a son. A smile came to the Strawberry red mares face thinking of the dun mare with a foal she wondered if this colt took after his mother.

(Sorry for the wait! it's been a bit crazy to say the least!)

The smallest of frowns darken the gold and green eyes at the question about whether Tephra has been unharried. She had heard rumours that things had been happening within the borders of the other kingdoms but she did not know it was bad enough that her peaceful kingdom would seem like the weird one.  “I am very sorry to hear that things might be so terrible elsewhere that being welcoming to strangers is an odd thing! Things have been running smoothly here. At least, no one has at alerted me to anything.” She wonders, briefly, if it was possible that little tragedies might have been happening this whole time without her awareness but she feels fairly confident that this is not the case.

They move on and Isilya’s smiles for both Lomasi and Lepis are warm as she leads them to the waterfall.

Lepis brings up the idea of an official treaty between their kingdoms - which is just a fancy word, Isilya thinks, for a friendship. “That sounds like a wonderful idea! Like I said, Tephra is open to any who do not wish this land or its inhabitants harm - and I like the idea of a friendship with Loess. We also have a treaty with Pangea, would that cause any trouble? Anaxarete is a dear friend of mine.” Her words pause for a moment and she smiles in fond memory of that shadowy and sweet mare. “I am certainly okay with an official, though I’d prefer to check to make sure everyone in this kingdom feels the same way.” Although Isilya is the leader she’s not comfortable making definite decisions entirely on her own. 

“And I do love the idea of our warriors mingling! I’m not one to have a mind for fighting so I think I’m rather a poor leader for them in that regard. And the children too of course - I've never been a mother but I always love having foals around. I'm sure they could learn a lot, visiting another land for a bit and playing with new friends.”

image by Reitro

@[Lepis]
    l e p i s
    I never thought it was a question of whether
    Lepis turns back for just a moment, making eye contact with the roan mare besdie her and flashing her a soft smile of encouragement. She has great expectations for the younger mare, and part of aiding her in achieving these is letting her experience the details of politics first-hand. Knowing the history and geography is all well and good, but forming relationships is just as critical.

When Isilya answers, Lepis turns back to her, listening with curiously pricked ears. She nods now and then, a clear indicator that she finds what the other queen has to say quite agreeable.

“Loess’ agreement with the Pangean Kings is somewhat new,” Lepis responds. The terms of it certainly leave something to be desired, but what’s done is done. Tephra’s pre-existing agreement with Ghaul and Draco’s predecessor explains the lack of mishaps that Isilya mentions. It is easier to remain ignorant to the violence that remains outside of one’s borders. Lepis knows this from personal experience, and she does not think less of the flower-haired mare because of it. “But I am glad to hear that you have ties as well.” Unity is important, after all. Even if Isilya’s mention of Anaxarete suggests that the ties are either old or that Lepis’ hope that Anaxarete’s giving up the throne meant that she had given up the land as well. She will find out later, Lepis knows, even if she’ll have to do some digging to find out which it is.

Lomasi’s surprise at Lepis’ mention of a child does not go unnoticed, and she adds that to her mental list of tasks to accomplish. Get to know her aspiring diplomat a little better, and share some things about her own life as well. The desire to do so does not come often to the navy-haired mare, but it is certainly there for Lomasi. Perhaps even for Isilya, though Lepis is uncertain if what she feels is the possibility of friendship or of taking a novice beneath her wing. Both, perhaps, just like there has been many times before.

“Then we will look forward to your visit, after you’ve spoken with the others.” Lepies replies. How long might it be, she wonders, for the white mare to converse with every member of her kingdom? The dun monarch has considered democracy of this fashion a time or two, but it just takes so much time and by then she’ll have made her own decision anyway. She had considered offering to come back for the final decision, but the uncertainty that awaits her family in Loess makes her cautious. Some things are unpredictable, and she prefers to not make a promise she cannot keep.

“I am sure Kestrell would love it here,” I add with a small smile, “And I can content myself knowing that at least he’s not wandering all the way to Ischia to get some relief from the winter cold.” Though the hot springs of my homeland are enough to keep us comfortable, they are small places, and a growing boy needs space to run. The farther from the North, the farther from danger he will be, and Tephra is as good a place as any. Better, perhaps, if this alliance comes to be.

@[Lomasi] @[Isilya]
    n | l
    Listening to every word the two leaders spoke, the red roan mare made a mental note todo more research about the different regions she would have to find herself more acquainted with. Lomasi was even more curious at Isilya's words, that she had not been alerted to the terrible event going on outside her region. How could one region go unharmed and be as if nothing had happen the red mare thought to herself, there must be a great magic protecting this region.

Lomasi could feel herself growing quiet fond of Isilya, both the dun and white mares reminded her of her own mother and how she led the herd. The strawberry roan mare caught Isilya's words, *never been mother* Lomasi thought, but she seems like she would be a natural.

The hazel eyes of the red mare caught Lepis looking back at her with a smile, Lomasi felt more at ease with the sign of encouragement. The red mare listen carefully to the two monarchs converse, she also noted the name of Lepis' colt, kestrel. Lomasi wanted to make sure she remembered the names and faces of the horses she had met and still yet to meet.