• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  how simple my heart
    and underneath the layers, I find myself asking what's left
    a hollowed out form, the skeleton of a ghost, the pitiful echo of what once was
    Nothing much to report, she begins, but Castile brushes off the nonchalance. Surely, there has been excitement, but it’s harbored behind a warm grin that doesn’t quite reach Mako’s eyes. A half chuckle slips from him in amusement and his gaze twinkles with mounting curiosity when she dives into her experience of Tephra. ”A lovely place, no?” Twice he has been there, at minimum. ”I love the volcano,” the sentiment is simple admiration, but many know how Castile acts on his interests. There’s a hunger in him to collect everything that draws him, but not today. Not this time.

A quieter lifestyle lures him now, a temptation just at arm’s reach. In Mako’s closure, her dove alights delicately onto his back. His head turns, acknowledging it with a grin. ”Salem is beautiful just as she is,” her white feathers are preened, vacant of soiling. Pure, untouched. Observing her rises a fleeting sense of envy before Mako’s somber expression pulls his attention back.

Telepathy isn’t necessary to know what streams through her mind. It’s normal that her musings drift to his whereabouts.

Every King and Queen descends the throne one day, but his was sudden and surrounded by fire and ash. They – his peers – will remember that, not the years that Loess held its own with voices actively buzzing through the air. They remember the ending, and so for that – and his sanity – he craves the solitude found in the meadow. Away from Loess, away from kingdoms… Away from even the smallest herds. It may only be temporary, but at least long enough to take a breath and to escape prying eyes. That is his agenda alone, and he doesn’t expect – or want – anyone to fall into a different lifestyle with him. Isolation, he thinks, will be best. That’s the fuel behind the softness in his voice and how he briefly presses his lips to Mako’s poll. ”Well. I’ve been well. I’ve been listening more than I ever have before,” he hears the crickets chirp nightly and the wolves howl to the full moon. The days brim with song birds and with the bleats of newborn fawns. Mothers tend to their children and fathers teach their boys.

There’s a serene peacefulness in his new perspective, but it’s a peculiar change for those who know him well enough.

castile

@[mako]

Messages In This Thread
    how simple my heart - by mako - 04-08-2020, 06:27 PM
    RE: how simple my heart - by Castile - 04-11-2020, 03:18 PM
    RE: how simple my heart - by mako - 04-13-2020, 08:12 PM
    RE: how simple my heart - by Castile - 04-20-2020, 03:10 PM
    RE: how simple my heart - by mako - 04-26-2020, 02:41 PM
    RE: how simple my heart - by Castile - 04-30-2020, 01:34 PM
    RE: how simple my heart - by mako - 05-06-2020, 01:58 AM
    RE: how simple my heart - by Castile - 05-07-2020, 02:03 PM